[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Wanted: SCSI Controller for A500

seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) (01/15/91)

	I'm currently looking to add a hard disk to my A500.  I can get the HD
and its power supply fairly cheaply, but I'll need a controller, preferably
one that offers RAM expansion, or at the very least a bus pass-through.  I'm
not looking to drop a huge wad of cash, but I'm sure something could be worked
out.
	If you have a SCSI controller for the A500, or an expansion box that
allows A2000 cards to be used, please email me with an approximate price you're
looking to get for it.

thanx.
Jeff Rizzo               INTERNET: seamus@bucsf.bu.edu OR phyq8jc@BUACCA.BITNET
Boston University                                                   BIX: jrizzo
CLA '91                       ping!                               (617)566-0693

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (01/16/91)

In article <SEAMUS.91Jan14112523@bucsf.bu.edu> seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) writes:

>	I'm currently looking to add a hard disk to my A500.  I can get the HD
>and its power supply fairly cheaply, but I'll need a controller, preferably
>one that offers RAM expansion, or at the very least a bus pass-through.  I'm
>not looking to drop a huge wad of cash, but I'm sure something could be worked
>out.

>Jeff Rizzo               INTERNET: seamus@bucsf.bu.edu OR phyq8jc@BUACCA.BITNET

I posted this because of it's general interest possibilities.

Well, Jeff, I bought a Xetec FastTrak Controller (sold only now directly
from the manufacturer, Xetec) for $175 plus shipping. I notice that
you have a power supply and case, and are in the same boat I was, so I
didn't want (or need) an entirely self-contained unit like GVP's or
Supra's. Xetec is the only maker (as far as I know) of an autobooting A500
SCSI controller which puts the harddrive away from the computer with a cable,
and not right next to the machine. I liked that alot. So, for $175 you
get the SCSI controller (in a metal enclosure) that plugs into your
86 pin expansion slot and a 25 pin Centronics cable of respectable length,
and a 25-pin-to-50-pin SCSI/MAC board for the other end of the cable.
(ie. where the harddrive plugs in to) You supply case, power supply, and
naturally harddrive. This sounds like your ticket. Oh, as for memory
expansion. An optional memory board (goes inside metal case on top on
SCSI controller) will accept a variety of SIMMS, including the 4 by 8's
that allow you to expand to a full 8 megs. Or use 1 by 4's to expand
to 4 megs. Either way is good, huh?

==Brett     ...!uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073 OR cci.com!sjfc!bpv9073@cci632

n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu (Daryl Biberdorf) (01/17/91)

From speaking with people at Memory and Storage Technologies (MAST) in
Sparks, Nevada, I learned that they are planning to introduce a new
SCSI controller for the Amiga 500 very soon (it's awaiting FCC approval).
I was told that it offers either an 8-bit or 16-bit interface (
16bit is $89 more), sockets for up to 8 MB of RAM, a mini slot for
a future coprocessor option, and connects to any SCSI drive.

Could be worth waiting for...considering the base price for the 8-bit
model with no RAM is $129 list.

--Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac@tamuts.tamu.edu
.

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (01/19/91)

In article <1197@sjfc.UUCP>, bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) writes:
> In article <SEAMUS.91Jan14112523@bucsf.bu.edu> seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) writes:
>>

> I posted this because of it's general interest possibilities.
>
> Well, Jeff, I bought a Xetec FastTrak Controller (sold only now directly
> from the manufacturer, Xetec) for $175 plus shipping. I notice that
> you have a power supply and case, and are in the same boat I was, so I
> didn't want (or need) an entirely self-contained unit like GVP's or
> Supra's. Xetec is the only maker (as far as I know) of an autobooting A500
> SCSI controller which puts the harddrive away from the computer with a cable,
> and not right next to the machine. I liked that alot. So, for $175 you
> get the SCSI controller (in a metal enclosure) that plugs into your
> 86 pin expansion slot and a 25 pin Centronics cable of respectable length,
> and a 25-pin-to-50-pin SCSI/MAC board for the other end of the cable.
> (ie. where the harddrive plugs in to) You supply case, power supply, and
> naturally harddrive. This sounds like your ticket. Oh, as for memory
> expansion. An optional memory board (goes inside metal case on top on
> SCSI controller) will accept a variety of SIMMS, including the 4 by 8's
> that allow you to expand to a full 8 megs. Or use 1 by 4's to expand
> to 4 megs. Either way is good, huh?
>
> ==Brett     ...!uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073 OR cci.com!sjfc!bpv9073@cci632

I just bought the same setup.  The Ram expansion board is 75 dollars
and I got 1 Meg SIMM's with a lifetime warranty for 39 dollars each.

You can use almost any SIMM's as long as they are fast enough and fit
in the board.  256K * 8, 256K * 9, 1M * 8, 1M *9, 4M * 8 and 4M * 9.

You can use any MAC harddrive except you will probably need to cut
out pin's 24 and 25 because they are different than the standard
Mac SCSI 25 pin cable.

The Xetec controller also supports AMAX.

And controller also has a pass thru.  My only complaint is
that if you want to boot your computer with the hard drive
turned off it takes about 4 minutes before it looks to the
floppy drive.

john macdonald

damian gick <dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (03/20/91)

Anyone want to sell a SCSI Controller for the 500? The ability to expand
memory would be nice, but not necessary.

(After rendering for 3 hours, and running out of space on a floppy, I'm fed
up...)

Damian J. Gick   |  Please send any mail to:      | "...And keep on
IU @ South Bend  |                                |  thinking free!"
CSCI Undergrad   |  dgick@sbway.iusb.indiana.edu  |     --The Moody Blues