[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Buying Games Thru UseNet

billy@disk.uucp (billy) (03/18/91)

I've seen several games being sold by users on UseNet in the past, and out of   fear I didn't buy them. How does a person buy games off UseNet and prevent him-
self from being takened, or for that part...the seller being taken. Is the a safe way to buy things through USeNet? Is it safe?

billy@disk.uucp
Louisville, Kentucky

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (03/18/91)

billy@disk.uucp (billy) writes:

>I've seen several games being sold by users on UseNet in the past, and out of   fear I didn't buy them. How does a person buy games off UseNet and prevent him-
>self from being takened, or for that part...the seller being taken. Is the a safe way to buy things through USeNet? Is it safe?

>billy@disk.uucp
>Louisville, Kentucky

I've been lucky, I guess, with the people I've met.
People who have reliable email addresses and/or have usenet access from .com
sites would be best, since they have to pay for their accounts, or have a
steady job, and thus won't take the money and run, which would be easy if
using a guest account somewhere.... Spending the $$ to call the person via
phone to make sure someone is there could help as well, if you are paranoid.

Basically, it's like dealing in real life, except everything is as-is unless
the seller is nice (the sellers I've talked to have been quite polite and
considerate, some even mailing the item before I got my check sent off!).

There have been horror stories, so the best thing, I suppose is to chat with
the person via email (or phone if you can afford it) to 'feel' them out.
I guess I've been kinda naive in my dealings, but I wasn't betrayed...

Just my experiences,

Wayne

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.081400.11445@disk.uucp> billy@disk.uucp (billy) writes:
>I've seen several games being sold by users on UseNet in the past, and out
>of fear I didn't buy them. How does a person buy games off UseNet and
>prevent himself from being taken, or for that part...the seller being
>taken. Is there a safe way to buy things through USeNet? Is it safe?

	I have bought several items through USENET:  games, compact
discs, and a $75 Futuresound digitizer.  The people I dealt with were
honest, and I've never been ripped off.

	If somebody posts a $15 game for sale, I assume that he/she is
honest.  Why?  Because there are many other quicker (and safer) ways to earn
$15 than to rip me off -- mow a lawn, shovel some snow, do 15 minutes of
consulting :-), etc.  Anybody who commits this crime for $15 is an idiot,
because the potential punishment can be expensive and (at least)
time-consuming.  I am willing to risk $15 for the sake of trust.
	My philosophy does not cover one case, however:  the lazy person.
A lazy person might be 100% honest but could forget or delay payment.

	When I bought the $75 digitizer, I asked the seller to include a
signed note guaranteeing the unit to be in good shape and warranting it for
1 month.  He did so.  The digitizer worked fine.

	If you want to be as safe as possible, then arrange that the
seller ships the item C.O.D.  If the item never arrives, then the
buyer never pays.  If the item arrives, then the buyer HAS to pay (the
delivery person).  I would do this for expensive items.

	Another safety tip:  buy from names you recognize -- people who have
been posting to the newsgroup for a long time.  If I have been reading
informational postings from person XXX for years, I am more likely to trust
him/her than a 1-time poster saying "HEY -- HOT GAMES FOR SALE!  ONLY $3
EACH!" :-)
	[And no, I don't have anything for sale. :-)]

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

spworley@athena.mit.edu (Spaceman Spiff) (03/19/91)

I agree, buying/selling games isn't a risk-free proposition. However,
with computer systems, hard drives, or larger pieces it's actually safer,
because you can ship COD which protects both seller and buyer. [Seller
definately gets paid, buyer definately gets the stuff]. Of course the
hardware or whatever could be defective, and the buyer gets screwed.

Games are a bit touchier since it's not worth paying a $8 COD fee for a
$15 game. If you have a valid e-mail address  and phone number, you're
probably as safe as you can get.

The seller is actually the one who is more vunerable- the buyer can always
cancel his check.

I've bought and sold hardware (Hard disks) COD, and bought software
with both COD and the "trust" method. [He trusted me, and just sent the
stuff.] I have yet to have a problem, though I have heard one story about
a guy who moved right after getting an Amiga 1000 system, and never
paid for it.

In summary, COD will protect you both, games are so small its better to
just trust the guy. I'd probably change my mind if I got screwed, but
it's worked so far.

-Steve

Steve Worley                                           spworley@athena.mit.edu

antunes@astro.psu.edu (Sandy Antunes) (03/20/91)

Hi!  Well, I've bought and sold a lot through the net, including
my entire A500 system.  In general, I agree with the idea of COD
for larger items and trust for games.
  I did sell a lot of games a while back, and out of around seven
people I dealt with, six were EXTRAORDINARILY nice.  And one of
them eventually refused to pay and sent the games back several
months after I'd sent them because he disputed their condition.
Even though I was a bit angry at that, at least he sent them back!
So I think the trust bit works, just be VERY EXPLICIT about the
items and make sure they agree-- the guy that returned them had missed
my first posting about the condition of the games and was expecting
"new in the box" or such, much confusion.
                                       sandy
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astrod.astro.psu.edu            Penn State Astronomy Dept
NOTE-this is a new address as of 3/91!  Please adjust accordingly
------------ this is my new .sig... dull, isn't it! ------------

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (03/20/91)

--

I've also made several purchases over the Usenet, one of them being
the second hard drive in my A3000.  Trust has, so far, worked quite

-- Frank McPherson		    INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --