[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Good experience with dealer

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (04/07/91)

I just had a good experience with a dealer that reflects well on
Commodore USA.

Thursday morning, I turned on my 1950 monitor and got nothing but a strange
high-pitched buzzing/chirping noise.  No picture.  Uh-oh.  My first
guess is that the power supply is frotzed.

Well, I called up Put's Electronics, the nearest big Commodore dealer
(just Commodore, all the software and hardware).  The guy who answered
the phone said I should take in the monitor with my proof of delivery
(it was an educational buy), and they could ship it off to get
repaired in 1 to 1 1/2 weeks.  I had to make sure I had all my
original packing material.

Well, I toodled over to their store in North Highlands (just NE of
Sacramento) and explained the problem.  They said all was fine, and
that yes, the monitor had a warrantee for a year.  Oh dear, though.
You'll have to take this to your original dealer.  You didn't buy it
here.

I vehemently explained that the person on the phone didn't tell me
that, and that my original dealer was 400 or so miles away.

They said it must have been Brian on the phone, and we'll see what we
can do about this.  The owner of the store (not Put, he sold the
store) explained to the clerk how to do all of this.

To make a long story less long, they just gave me a new monitor out of
stock!  They said that it was to build a good customer relationship.
Out of gratitude, I bought some floppy disks and a video game (which I
wanted anyway).

Just a couple things:

I didn't bring in everything that came in the box (manuals,
connectors), so they pulled that stuff out of the new box and put it
in with the broken monitor.  If you take something in for warrantee
repair, be sure you take EVERYTHING back.

Anyway:

Put's Electronics (aka Put's Commodore Store)
6108 Watt Ave., North Highlands
(916) 338-2000

Disclamer: I'm not associated with these folks, except as a customer.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (04/07/91)

In article <8717@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>I just had a good experience with a dealer that reflects well on
>Commodore USA.
> [stuff about put's]

Glad you had a good experience with them; I didn't.  I went up to see
about purchasing a 3000UX.  They were unable to answer even my most
basic questions (Why 2 video ports, what's "kickstart", and so on).
Their answer: "It's a new machine, and we don't really know anything
about it..."  Oh, ok, no biggy.  So, I ask them if they mind if I play
around on the machine.  The answer: "Well, I guess so, just don't screw
it up or move the folders around or do anything like that."  Very
trusting, eh?  Only computer store I've ever been in where they have an
adversion if you play with the machines.  Also, I had trouble getting a
sales-person to help me out.

In all fairness, I only dealt with 2 of however many employees work there,
and maybe I just hit them on a bad day; however first impressions are
important for customers.  They do have a nice try-before-you-buy policy
on software, where you can open it and run it on the 3000 and see if it
works, at any rate.

My solution? I turned my business to another dealer in Sacramento.
Multimedia Design & Graphics.  While not a consumer-oriented store they
have gone to great pains to make me a very happy customer.

I am glad you did have a good experience with them, Dan.  Because you did
I will consider going to them again...

			L. Scott Emmons
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na