[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] 3000 Ram Chips

rlittle@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Robert A. Little) (04/10/91)

Well, after weeks of searching, my relentless pursuit of inexpensive
RAM chips has finally come to a close...After being quoted everywhere from
$50/chip all the way up to $80/chip by my local Amiga dealer, I found a
small company in Calif. with 80ns 1M by 4 static zips for $37.50/chip...
I figured I give y'all the details (to save you the pain of looking)

80 ns 1M by 4 Zips (Static Column)  for $37.50  (4 megs for $300)

The company is called Visionsoft, PO Box 22517, Carmel CA, 93922, phone
is 800-735-2633...

The guys (plural, the orig. guy was a flakey "write down exactly what the
customer says and ask someone intelligent" order person) seemed pretty
cool, only $10 added for COD & Shipping stuff...

Oh well, enough said....I hope this helps someone, I know I was getting
real frustrated with so many companies telling me there was a chip shortage
and that I would never find scrams for less that $60 a piece!

--rob

(anyone know when 2.0 is coming out?)

        Robert Little               || "Avoid work at all costs, even if it
USENET: rlittle@cs.uoregon.edu      ||  requires going to school" -- Me
CIS:    71020,1625                  || "He knows changes aren't permanent,
GEnie:  R.LITTLE2                   ||  but change is..." -- RUSH

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.235731.1952@cs.uoregon.edu> rlittle@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Robert A. Little) writes:

>Well, after weeks of searching, my relentless pursuit of inexpensive
           [...description of searching for companies deleted...]
>80 ns 1M by 4 Zips (Static Column)  for $37.50  (4 megs for $300)
>
>The company is called Visionsoft, PO Box 22517, Carmel CA, 93922, phone
>is 800-735-2633...
                              [...]

Here are some prices I've grabbed off this group in the past...

)>      ...1M x 4 80ns ZIP's (Hitachi HM514402) for $35 each
)>from:
)>
)>    AMT International
)>    2393 Qume Drive
)>    San Jose, CA  95131
)>    Phone: 408-432-1790
)>    FAX: 408-944-9801

)>My quest for cheap RAM has ended in my own backyard.
)>
)>Multimedia Design (916) 372-3822
)>
)>1Mbit x 4 80 ns scram ZIP's : $35 each, or $280 for four megabytes.

)>I just called them this morning re. the price of 1Mbx4 80ns s-c ZIPs.  The
)>person I talked to gave me a price of $38/ZIP for a quantity of 16 (not
)>including shipping);  alert readers will note that this is fairly close
)>to the $/Mb level of the 256Kx4's I got last August...seems the prices of
)>these chips are finally getting reasonable.  I didn't check the 256Kx4
)>prices.
)>
)>BJS's phone number is 408-748-9762.

These are all old quotes.  The price of these chips continues to drop.

This quote is from this week's EETimes ad by Microprocessors Unlimited, Inc.
(918) 267-4961.  They are generally about 5-10% higher priced than the cut-
rate chip dealers that advertize in Computer Shopper magazine in the States:

1Megx4 dram - $34

I expect these chips to hit around $20 each within 6 mos.
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.235731.1952@cs.uoregon.edu> rlittle@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Robert A. Little) writes:

>Well, after weeks of searching, my relentless pursuit of inexpensive
>RAM chips has finally come to a close...After being quoted everywhere from
>$50/chip all the way up to $80/chip by my local Amiga dealer, I found a
>small company in Calif. with 80ns 1M by 4 static zips for $37.50/chip...
>I figured I give y'all the details (to save you the pain of looking)
>
>80 ns 1M by 4 Zips (Static Column)  for $37.50  (4 megs for $300)
>
>The company is called Visionsoft, PO Box 22517, Carmel CA, 93922, phone
>is 800-735-2633...
>
>The guys (plural, the orig. guy was a flakey "write down exactly what the
>customer says and ask someone intelligent" order person) seemed pretty
>cool, only $10 added for COD & Shipping stuff...
>
>Oh well, enough said....I hope this helps someone, I know I was getting
>real frustrated with so many companies telling me there was a chip shortage
>and that I would never find scrams for less that $60 a piece!
>
>--rob
>
>(anyone know when 2.0 is coming out?)

>        Robert Little               || "Avoid work at all costs, even if it
>USENET: rlittle@cs.uoregon.edu      ||  requires going to school" -- Me
>CIS:    71020,1625                  || "He knows changes aren't permanent,
>GEnie:  R.LITTLE2                   ||  but change is..." -- RUSH

No, no, NO!  Chips can be had for as little as $32/chip from BJS Electronics
in CA (no phone# but they're in San Jose) and Wave Electronics, Inc
800-433-3570.  I know there are several places which sell them for $34-$35
per chip and those are supposed to be premium prices - right!

Veenu

randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.013726.12273@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:

>No, no, NO!  Chips can be had for as little as $32/chip from BJS Electronics
>in CA (no phone# but they're in San Jose) and Wave Electronics, Inc
>800-433-3570.  I know there are several places which sell them for $34-$35
>per chip and those are supposed to be premium prices - right!

The phone number for BJS is 408-748-9762.  I have placed several orders
with BJS, and I heartily recommend them.  They have very good prices, and
the people I have spoken to on the telephone were nice.  And they even
sent me a Christmas card!

Randy