[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Does Commodore really want to sell WB2.0? I Dont Think So.

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (01/11/91)

So,

   Here we have WorkBench 2.0.  It has been over 1 and 1/2 years past
its original anticipated release date.  Only owners of 3000's, dealers
and Commercial Developers have 2.0, and its on disk rather than in ROM.

   So, what exactly are they doing at Commodore?  Beta-Testing?
Chi-Testing?  The most heard complaint of Amiga equipment is the old
WorkBench system, yet Commodore seems to want to wait until the
hardware is obsolete.

   As an avid Amiga owner, and a very proud and productive user, what
exactly is the status of WB2.0 for the 2000 series (or 500 for that
matter).  Is it possible to place orders yet?  Is it possible for me to
pay $600.00 and get a copy (of WB2.0) NOW?

   Basically, to rehash an old topic, why is it still buried deep inside
Commodore, away from the most popular Amiga models?  And when will they
actually let someone (besides proud A3000 owners) use it?

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (01/11/91)

In article <241@coplex.UUCP> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
>   Here we have WorkBench 2.0.  It has been over 1 and 1/2 years past
>its original anticipated release date.  Only owners of 3000's, dealers
>and Commercial Developers have 2.0, and its on disk rather than in ROM.

   Sure of that?  2.0 was never released for A500/1000/2000.

>   So, what exactly are they doing at Commodore?  Beta-Testing?
>Chi-Testing?  The most heard complaint of Amiga equipment is the old
>WorkBench system, yet Commodore seems to want to wait until the
>hardware is obsolete.

    The same people who wants 2.0 now, would be very unpleased if the
new release they paid for was bug ridden.  In fact, yes 2.0 is still
in the testing phaze.  I believe it will be release on ROM *SOON*.

>   As an avid Amiga owner, and a very proud and productive user, what
>exactly is the status of WB2.0 for the 2000 series (or 500 for that
>matter).

    WB2.0 can be use right now on a 500/2000 (with extra ram).  When
committed to ROM (I.e. as bug free as possible), I think they'll turn
their attention to upgrade the OS of the whole amiga family.  If not,
well... amiga users are inventive.

> Is it possible to place orders yet?  Is it possible for me to
>pay $600.00 and get a copy (of WB2.0) NOW?

    You can always send your check! :-)

>   Basically, to rehash an old topic, why is it still buried deep inside
>Commodore, away from the most popular Amiga models?  And when will they
>actually let someone (besides proud A3000 owners) use it?

    Basically, to rehash an old topic:
	-> When it will be ready. <-

    When I bought a A3000, I received a sheet saying that OS2.0 is still
beta.  That meant possible bugs and troubles.  And in the beginning it
had quite a few of them (I used 1.3 for a while, since I had to work!).
All revision up to now (2.04) fixes important bugs.

    You can't expect to let every amiga users use a beta versions of an OS,
without MAJOR problems.  For instance what would think a business
upgrading to 2.0 (with honest hopes), when they see that their favorite
softwares doesn't work properly or that the OS sometimes thrash their
HardDisks?  What would YOU think if just before printing a session
report at 5:00 AM the partition where this file is located becomes
corrupted?

    So, they'll release 2.0 when it will be ready.

>dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

dannie@coplex.UUCP (Dannie Gregoire) (01/12/91)

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:

>>   So, what exactly are they doing at Commodore?  Beta-Testing?
>>Chi-Testing?  The most heard complaint of Amiga equipment is the old
>>WorkBench system, yet Commodore seems to want to wait until the
>>hardware is obsolete.
>>
>    The same people who wants 2.0 now, would be very unpleased if the
>new release they paid for was bug ridden.  In fact, yes 2.0 is still
>in the testing phaze.  I believe it will be release on ROM *SOON*.

>    When I bought a A3000, I received a sheet saying that OS2.0 is still
>beta.  That meant possible bugs and troubles.  And in the beginning it
>had quite a few of them (I used 1.3 for a while, since I had to work!).
>All revision up to now (2.04) fixes important bugs.

>    You can't expect to let every amiga users use a beta versions of an OS,
>without MAJOR problems.  For instance what would think a business
>upgrading to 2.0 (with honest hopes), when they see that their favorite
>softwares doesn't work properly or that the OS sometimes thrash their
>HardDisks?  What would YOU think if just before printing a session
>report at 5:00 AM the partition where this file is located becomes
>corrupted?

I'd be much more pleased to be a happy commodore owner willingly knowing
that I am going to be getting a beta OS, rather than pay $3500 for a new
A3000 with a buggy OS!  (Yes I know you can switch to 1.3 on the 3000 but
what's the point??)

You mention that you do not what high end users to end up with a buggy OS.
Well, that is precisly what has happened.  The higher end/business users
have most likely purchased an A3000 and have the buggy OS ripping away
their file partitions as we speak ;-)

There are countless loyal A500 and A2000 users who are VERY willing to contiue
this BETA test if that's what the 2.0 delay is all about.   IMHO a beta
test should not be conducted in such a manner.  a BETA test should be
conducted amongst people who a rigorously testing the ins and outs and
report all problems.  It should not be conducted amonst the general public.
Despite Commodore's testing techniques, it is taking them a hell of a long
time!!  Perhaps if their test was conducted a little more orderly it would
not take so long to get 2.0 to market!

Dannie Gregoire
Copper Electronics
dannie@coplex

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (01/12/91)

Aaah, that explains it. Ive still got 2.02, and a correction... CD //////
forces a complete reset.

Oh well.
--
"I/O's revenge is at hand." - Hennessy & Patterson

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (01/12/91)

I've already sent obnoxious mail to all of you, but....

This thread doesn't belong in .marketplace.  .marketplace is about
"for sale" and "wanted" notices, with occasional forays into questions
like "where can I get the best price on memory chips?"  Or "does
Montgomery Grant have a good reputation?"

This thread belongs in comp.sys.amiga.advocacy.  Notice from my
Newsgroups: line that this message is cross-posted to both .advocacy
and to .marketplace, and from the Followup-To: line that any followups
you make will be re-directed to .advocacy.  This effectively moves the
thread (for anyone who responds to you) over from .marketplace to
.advocacy.  You can do this yourself when you just HAVE to respond to
something, yet you think it is in the wrong newsgroup.

As Robocop said:  "Thank you for your cooperation!"

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (01/12/91)

>As for CBM's patience in releasing 2.0 to the "general" public.  I think that
>with the next 2.0 update (soon) everyone will be using the same 2.0....and
>with SCALEABLE fonts!!

What!?  The real live Compugraphic-like scaleable fonts that
were very officially NOT going to be in WB2.0?  The ones that
AmigaWorld and Amazing wrote wistfully about in dreams about
Workbench 3?

Are you certain about this?

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/12/91)

In article <15549@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>>As for CBM's patience in releasing 2.0 to the "general" public.  I think that
>>with the next 2.0 update (soon) everyone will be using the same 2.0....and
>>with SCALEABLE fonts!!
>>

>What!?  The real live Compugraphic-like scaleable fonts that
OB>were very officially NOT going to be in WB2.0?  The ones that
>AmigaWorld and Amazing wrote wistfully about in dreams about
>Workbench 3?
>
>Are you certain about this?

  I heard they were going to be BITMAP Scalable fonts. In the same
manner high-res pictures are scalable by things like PBM, TAD, etc.
Scaling small fonts slightly bigger will look good, but blowing them up
to full screen will still be chunky. It is still a nice addition IMHO!
CG/Adobe Outline/Vector fonts will probably have to wait awhile.
If you noticed, CBM just posted a job request looking for
'Senior Outline Font programmer.' This most likely means they don't
have one yet and are looking for one.

 Again, what I heard is a rumor. They may actually be CG fonts since
I heard about BITMAP Scalable fonts back in September with another rumor
that said 'Comodore plans to add CG fonts hopefully in 2.1'. Well its now
January, so who knows?

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (01/12/91)

In article <12587@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:

>Aaah, that explains it. Ive still got 2.02, and a correction... CD //////
>forces a complete reset.

That's funny, I have 2.02 and get a "can't find /" message...

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (01/12/91)

article <12582@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:

>Here's my favorite OS2.0 bug.  At a root directory, type CD /
>(or CD ///////, one or more /'s than the level you are in the directory
>tree).  The shell crashes.
>
>Seems like that would be an easy one for them to have caught.

     Try formatting a floppy from workbench and checking your hard drive for
bad blocks with HDToolbox at the same time.  I locked up my machine...  (I
also had commodities exchange, autopoint, and blanker running in the
background).
--

-- George L. Skank			|skank@iastate.edu
Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...|

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (01/13/91)

>In article <12587@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:
>

>Aaah, that explains it. Ive still got 2.02, and a correction... CD //////
>forces a complete reset.

So do I, and it returns "Can't find ////////".  Are you running on a 3000?  If
not, perhaps one of your upgrades was installed improperly.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

In article <1991Jan12.064328.411@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>article <12582@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) writes:
>>
>>Here's my favorite OS2.0 bug.  At a root directory, type CD /

>     Try formatting a floppy from workbench and checking your hard drive for
>bad blocks with HDToolbox at the same time.  I locked up my machine...  (I
>also had commodities exchange, autopoint, and blanker running in the
>background).

	Did you report it to bugs@cbmvax.commodore.com?

	Earlier versions of 2.0 (certainly 36.141/143 (2.0/2.01)) had a
problem caused by assumptions about the state of the SIGF_SINGLE bit that
could cause SCSI bus lockups, though it was only seen while hdtoolbox was
scanning the bus for drives.  It could be demonstrated by moving windows
around (particularily if they had text being output) while hdtoolbox was
starting up.  It was quite reliable in the normal case of just starting it
up, which was why it was not noticed before the very first release (also
an earlier bug in another module had been hiding it until shortly before
release).  It think (fairly sure, I don't feel like checking the database
right now) that bug was fixed before the 2.02 (36.207) release.

	Development of 2.0 is ongoing (witness 2.02, and developers have
access to even newer, and better, versions).  We work hard to fix all bugs
that are reported to us; if they're not reported we may not notice them
ourselves.  Report bugs _RSN_ if you don't want to be stuck with them for
quite a while to come.  bugs@cbmvax.commodore.com is _not_ a black hole,
it all goes into an internal database, and is priority and severity sorted
and dealt with by the module owner.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (05/06/91)

In article <241@coplex.UUCP> dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:
>   So, what exactly are they doing at Commodore?  Beta-Testing?
>Chi-Testing?  The most heard complaint of Amiga equipment is the old
>WorkBench system, yet Commodore seems to want to wait until the
>hardware is obsolete.

Commodore is refusing to make the same mistake again that they did
with 1.0, which was so unstable that it should never have been
released at all.  When 2.0 becomes available (and I don't think it
will be much longer!) you can be sure that it will not only be stable
but also offer you very good compatibility with older software.  For
some people the wait may not be a satisfactory tradeoff, but consider
what the alternatives are.
	As to obsolete hardware, I can only say that "so long as it
does the job, why complain?"  Commodore has released the 3000, and
other hardware limitations are being addressed, I'm sure.  They're
not standing still!  It takes some effort to do it right.

> Is it possible to place orders yet?  Is it possible for me to pay
> $600.00 and get a copy (of WB2.0) NOW?

Unless you want to buy a 3000 or become a registered developer, you
can't get 2.0 until it is released to the public at large.  It's been
said that the Usenet community will be among the first to know when
the ROMs are available.

 ._.  Udo Schuermann	  "Does he talk?  DOES HE TALK?" -- "Of course I talk.
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu   I'm the Minister for Internal Affairs." -- M.Python