[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Amiga 1000 going price?

sharley@isis.cs.du.edu (steve harley) (04/29/91)

I'm curious whether there's a "going price" for used A1000's, since I may
sell mine if a used Mac Plus turns out to be cheaper (or better) than
Amax.  Is there any accepted resource (or professional reseller) for this
price information?
thanks,
steve harley

stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/29/91)

Well the cheapest I have seen then is in the latest issue of amigaworld..
Creative Computers had "amiga 1000 cpus (used)  $149"

I am not certain wether or not these would include shuch niceities as a
keyboard or mouse but you never know.:^)

On the net a 512k amiga has been going for 200-250.  Sometimes as high as $300

Hope this helps.

( Has anyone bought one of the 1000's from Creative?  What did it come with?-
-

 stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu           Kevin Whyte            Proud Owner of an
                            				       Amiga 1000

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.083306.1@vax1.mankato.msus.edu> stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>Well the cheapest I have seen then is in the latest issue of amigaworld..
>Creative Computers had "amiga 1000 cpus (used)  $149"
>
>I am not certain wether or not these would include shuch niceities as a
>keyboard or mouse but you never know.:^)
>
>On the net a 512k amiga has been going for 200-250.  Sometimes as high as $300

Why is the re-sale value of an Amiga 1000 so low?
Are you saying that WordPerfect, SAS/C, Paradox, etc. is worth more than
a A1000?
Are you saying that a dual Apple ][ disk drive is worth more than a A1000?
Are you saying that a used Nintendo w/ a few bundled games is worth more
than a A1000?
A printer, A 2400 baud modem, a hard drive controller etc......

Why is everyone driving the price of a perfectly good computer WITH a
disk drive, multi-io ports down to the price of a Nintendo?

Any used Apple ]['s (except MAYBE for the //) is selling more than this.

GLin

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) (05/01/91)

Ask yourself the same question about the A2000.  Why are they selling for so
low?  2200$ for a 2500/30 with 50 meg drive and a bunch of other
extras is quite low.  Why do Amiga's lose so much value when you go to sell
them?  As the old saying goes, "supply and demand".

Rob
\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet: Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.bc.ca /
\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:    76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn  /

jma@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (James M. Alexander) (05/03/91)

In article <1561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.083306.1@vax1.mankato.msus.edu> stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>>Well the cheapest I have seen then is in the latest issue of amigaworld..
>>Creative Computers had "amiga 1000 cpus (used)  $149"
>>
>>I am not certain wether or not these would include shuch niceities as a
>>keyboard or mouse but you never know.:^)
>>
>>On the net a 512k amiga has been going for 200-250.  Sometimes as high as $300
>>

>Why is the re-sale value of an Amiga 1000 so low?
>Are you saying that WordPerfect, SAS/C, Paradox, etc. is worth more than
>a A1000?
>Are you saying that a dual Apple ][ disk drive is worth more than a A1000?
>Are you saying that a used Nintendo w/ a few bundled games is worth more
>than a A1000?
>A printer, A 2400 baud modem, a hard drive controller etc......
>
>Why is everyone driving the price of a perfectly good computer WITH a
>disk drive, multi-io ports down to the price of a Nintendo?
>
>Any used Apple ]['s (except MAYBE for the //) is selling more than this.
>
>GLin

Simple. The prices of used hardware have plummeted because the prices for the
NEW hardware have become so low. A brand new A500 cpu can now be had for a
little over $500, so why would anyone pay more than about $250-$300 for an
old 1000? Market forces say that's what people will pay, so that's what
they're worth.

Jim
jma@earthquake.berkeley.edu

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (05/04/91)

In article <5704@mindlink.bc.ca> Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) writes:

   Ask yourself the same question about the A2000.  Why are they selling for so
   low?  2200$ for a 2500/30 with 50 meg drive and a bunch of other
   extras is quite low.  Why do Amiga's lose so much value when you go to sell
   them?  As the old saying goes, "supply and demand".

Yeah, the A2000 is now very old technology, and all technology falls
in value as time goes by. With an A3000/25-50 going for $2500 (new),
an A2500/30 w/50 meg drive isn't going to get much more than $2000,
unless that "bunch of other extras" includes a lot of expensive
things.

	<mike
--
When logic and proportion have fallen softly dead,	Mike Meyer
And the white knight is talking backwards,		mwm@pa.dec.com

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) (05/07/91)

I agree that all machines suffer from falling resale values, but you can't take
an XT as an example.  The difference is that a 2000 is still
CBM leading technology while and XT is... rather old.

monty@sagpd1 (05/07/91)

In article <5704@mindlink.bc.ca> Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) writes:
>Ask yourself the same question about the A2000.  Why are they selling for so
>low?  2200$ for a 2500/30 with 50 meg drive and a bunch of other
>extras is quite low.  Why do Amiga's lose so much value when you go to sell
>them?  As the old saying goes, "supply and demand".

	In all fairness it is not only Commodore that has a resale problem with
	it's "older" models. Have you priced a IBM xt lately. Not a clone, but
	a true blue XT runs less then $300 now,  and sold for near $4000 new
	if memory serves ( maybe as low as $3000 or as high as $5000 ). It
	is true that the XT is still worth more thaen an A1000, but it's
	market is much larger, more supply and demand.

	ALL computer products suffer from this, especially discontinued and
	unsupported models ala A1000.

	Monty Saine

cs173scq@sdcc5.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.145152.5804@sagpd1>, monty@sagpd1 writes:
|> In article <5704@mindlink.bc.ca> Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) writes:
|> >Ask yourself the same question about the A2000.  Why are they selling for so
|> >low?  2200$ for a 2500/30 with 50 meg drive and a bunch of other
|> >extras is quite low.  Why do Amiga's lose so much value when you go to sell
|> >them?  As the old saying goes, "supply and demand".
|>
|> 	In all fairness it is not only Commodore that has a resale problem with
|> 	it's "older" models. Have you priced a IBM xt lately. Not a clone, but
|> 	a true blue XT runs less then $300 now,  and sold for near $4000 new
|> 	if memory serves ( maybe as low as $3000 or as high as $5000 ). It
|> 	is true that the XT is still worth more thaen an A1000, but it's
|> 	market is much larger, more supply and demand.

An interesting comparison...

The PC came out in 1981, the XT not much long after that
The A1000 came out late 1985/early 1986, nearly 5 years later which
is about the same time the IBM AT came out and 2 years after the Mac 128

Used AT's run about twice as much as an A1000, and a Mac 128 seems
to run a bit less.

|> 	ALL computer products suffer from this, especially discontinued and
|> 	unsupported models ala A1000.

Support seems to be the key factor.  The XT is still "supported" but seems
to be waning.  Not many buy new 286's (they're all going towards 386SX
as the low end) but mfg'ers make products for that stupid bus like there's
no tomorrow.

If only mfg'ers made products that are both compatible with the A500 as well
as the A1000 without having to reverse and elevate, or if CBM put the
connector on the A500 on the right side of the case, the A1000 would
probably have a higher resale value.

--
Dennis Lou             || "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu          || "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"

monty@sagpd1 (05/08/91)

In article <19104@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs173scq@sdcc5.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) writes:
>The PC came out in 1981, the XT not much long after that
>The A1000 came out late 1985/early 1986, nearly 5 years later which
>is about the same time the IBM AT came out and 2 years after the Mac 128
>
>Used AT's run about twice as much as an A1000, and a Mac 128 seems
>to run a bit less.

    There was one point I was trying to make that you over looked.
    Since you compared an AT to the Amiga lets use those prices.
    In 1985 the average At with EGA and monitor was going for right
    around $4000, the A1000 came out at (if memory serves) around $2195
    + $400 for the A1080. That same AT will now cost you around $500
    which is about 12.5% of orginal cost. The A1000/1080 will bring
    about $400 ($200 for 1080 plus $200 for A1000) which makes the
    Amy about 15% of orginal cost.

    Has the A1000 really done that badly????

    Monty Saine

    P.S. I paid $1500 for both the A1000 and 1080 in March 86 (used) so
    mines still worth 27% of what I paid for it :).