[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Dropping the prices of used A500 prices and manual covers.

cpetterb@glacier.sim.es.com (Cary Petterborg) (05/16/91)

I would think that with this A3000 deal with C= that there will soon
be a large number of used A500's on the market (people who don't
need them after getting an A3000 will probably be selling them off).
So, there should be a big supply.  Now if everyone who is in the market
for a used A500 waits a while, demand will be lower than supply, thus
driving the prices down. ;-)

Now, if people are selling their manual covers for ANYTHING over $50,
I would suggest not buying one, yet.  Wait until the sellers think that
they can't get anyone to buy it.  Supply will be up, and prices down.
There will probably be plenty of them on the market.  ;-)

In addition, there will probably be some enterprising person who will
try to buy up all the manual covers (and serial numbers) they can get
their hands on at a low price, getting ready to sell them to people.
For anyone interested in doing that, beware, you may over-buy the
demand and be left with a bunch of useless manual covers.  Of course,
C= may institute another similar offer and then they would be valuable
again. :-)

Anyway, buying a cover from someone should be a last resort.  With the
number of old C-64's and Vic-20's, some relative of yours is probably
willing to give one to you!

Just my $.02 worth.

Cary
--
_______________
Cary Petterborg					   (801)582-5847 x6446

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (05/16/91)

Guys, if someone wants to buy a a3000, GIVE THEM A MANUAL!  The larger the
installed amiga user base, the more software we'll get.  Trying to make a
quick buck (and losing the potential a3000 buyer) isn't a real smart move...
maybe someday when the amiga 5000 has a 70% marketshare we'll be able to
screw each other mercilessly...<grin>

--
Apple II Forever |       6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu      | IBMs get the job done
Parik Rao       |      Amiga - for the creative mind     |        Class of 1994

echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) (05/17/91)

In article <CPETTERB.91May15133343@mickey.glacier.sim.es.com> cpetterb@glacier.sim.es.com (Cary Petterborg) writes:
>I would think that with this A3000 deal with C= that there will soon
>be a large number of used A500's on the market (people who don't
>need them after getting an A3000 will probably be selling them off).
>So, there should be a big supply.  Now if everyone who is in the market
>for a used A500 waits a while, demand will be lower than supply, thus
>driving the prices down. ;-)

Actually, this 'clever' tactic would be counter productive, since several
A500 owners (including myself) are selling their Amiga 500 systems IN ORDER
to purchase an Amiga3000.  I hope not too many of the readers take this
gentleman serious, it would be a shame for this 'community' of Amiga users
to start to drive down both the price as well as the integrity of the lower
end machines.  Besides, after the program is over, there may be less A500s
forsale.

>Just my $.02 worth.

I just hope nobody takes too much notice to your '$.02' worth.