[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] FAX + FONE Number for dealer selling $1895 A3000 please

igreenaw@hemel.bull.co.uk (ian greenaway) (05/10/91)

Over recent days, I've noticed various postings from the states regarding the
Commodore 'Power Up' deals.  I understand that it's possible to get an A3000
with 16Mhz 68030, 2Mb RAM, 50Mb Hard Drive and 1950 Multisync monitor for
only $1895 if you send in your A500 (vic 20 or whatever) manual cover.

I am posting from the UK and was amazed at the price as its equivalent over
here is 2599 pounds - thats $4400 at today's rate !

So I've got this US phone number for Plato Computers in Illinois that someone
posted yesterday, BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE THEIR FAX NUMBER so that I can check
out the shipping details and power supply compatability problems.

I am desperate - I was going to get an A2000 with twin floppies, XT bridgeboard
and 1084 monitor at a show on Sunday (12th May) which will set me back the
equivalent of $1700 --- what a waste if for $200 to $300 I could get an A3000.

Thanx in advance for any replies

Ian  alias igreenaw@hemel.bull.co.uk

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May10.124518.14696@hemel.bull.co.uk> igreenaw@hemel.bull.co.uk (ian greenaway) writes:
>Over recent days, I've noticed various postings from the states regarding the
>Commodore 'Power Up' deals.  I understand that it's possible to get an A3000
>with 16Mhz 68030, 2Mb RAM, 50Mb Hard Drive and 1950 Multisync monitor for
>only $1895 if you send in your A500 (vic 20 or whatever) manual cover.
>
>I am posting from the UK and was amazed at the price as its equivalent over
>here is 2599 pounds - thats $4400 at today's rate !
>
>So I've got this US phone number for Plato Computers in Illinois that someone
>posted yesterday, BUT DOES ANYONE HAVE THEIR FAX NUMBER so that I can check
>out the shipping details and power supply compatability problems.

Sorry but CBM does NOT allow any dealer to ship... including the one that is
selling the 3000's with monitor.  I spoke to the guy on the phone and he told
me CBM is sending a 1950 monitor with every 3000 16/50 ordered.  This dealer
decided to give it to the customers who buy that particular unit.  CBM sending
the 1950 monitor (free) with every 3000 16/50 sold, is an insentive for dealers
to push them.  CBM does not make this model anymore so they want to clear the
warehouse.  This dealer we are talking about is VERY nice in that he is giving
the monitors to the customer.  Not all (if any) dealers are doing this.  Most
are selling them and keeping the profit!  :-(

--
 Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
 guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.153559.26158@ns.network.com> guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:
>In article <1991May10.124518.14696@hemel.bull.co.uk> igreenaw@hemel.bull.co.uk (ian greenaway) writes:
>
>Sorry but CBM does NOT allow any dealer to ship... including the one that is
>selling the 3000's with monitor.  I spoke to the guy on the phone and he told

   He can ship it if he gets the buyers ACTUAL signature, and HE CHARGES LOCAL
   SALES TAX!!!  Give him another call, I believe you'll find this to be true!!!
   He can get his (or her) signature by sending the actual slip (charge card
   assumed) my mail to him (or her) and have them return it via mail.

>me CBM is sending a 1950 monitor with every 3000 16/50 ordered.  This dealer
>decided to give it to the customers who buy that particular unit.  CBM sending
>the 1950 monitor (free) with every 3000 16/50 sold, is an insentive for dealers
>to push them.  CBM does not make this model anymore so they want to clear the
>warehouse.  This dealer we are talking about is VERY nice in that he is giving
>the monitors to the customer.  Not all (if any) dealers are doing this.  Most
>are selling them and keeping the profit!  :-(
   True True True....

> Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
> guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //
> 7600 Boone Ave No, Mpls. MN 55428                     \X/
> 1-800-328-9108  Fax:(612)424-1736   "Me and my Amiga...anything is possible?"

      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.002411.20568@swbatl.sbc.com> ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>In article <1991May14.153559.26158@ns.network.com> guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:
>>In article <1991May10.124518.14696@hemel.bull.co.uk> igreenaw@hemel.bull.co.uk (ian greenaway) writes:
>>
>>Sorry but CBM does NOT allow any dealer to ship... including the one that is
>>selling the 3000's with monitor.  I spoke to the guy on the phone and he told
>
>   He can ship it if he gets the buyers ACTUAL signature, and HE CHARGES LOCAL
>   SALES TAX!!!  Give him another call, I believe you'll find this to be true!!!
>   He can get his (or her) signature by sending the actual slip (charge card
>   assumed) my mail to him (or her) and have them return it via mail.
>
>>me CBM is sending a 1950 monitor with every 3000 16/50 ordered.  This dealer
>>decided to give it to the customers who buy that particular unit.  CBM sending
>>the 1950 monitor (free) with every 3000 16/50 sold, is an insentive for dealers
>>to push them.  CBM does not make this model anymore so they want to clear the
>>warehouse.  This dealer we are talking about is VERY nice in that he is giving
>>the monitors to the customer.  Not all (if any) dealers are doing this.  Most
>>are selling them and keeping the profit!  :-(

I've seen the Commodore notice to dealers about the A3000/16 + A1950 program, and
it specifically states that it is not applicable to A3000's purchased under the
Power-Up program.  Either this dealer is going to end up asking for payment on
the A1950, or out several hundred dollars per deal when the paperwork is settled.
I'd be real leery of buying a system from this guy...
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (05/20/91)

I was visiting friends this weekend and drove by the dealer who was offering
the 1950 monitor with the Power Up A3000-16/50.  He discovered after taking
the money of several people that C= was *not* suppling monitors with a Power
Up A3000.  He is no longer accepting orders for the free monitor with an
A3000-16/50, but is honoring the orders already taken.  He has not yet
received his first shipment, so if anyone out there is paranoid that they
paid up front and are not going to get what they ordered, call him and ask.
He really is helpful and friendly and probably was mis-informed.  I will
not fan the flames by resupplying his phone number; if you didn't get it the
first time, you don't need it now... see your local dealer.

-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (05/20/91)

In article <123409@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:
>I was visiting friends this weekend and drove by the dealer who was offering
>the 1950 monitor with the Power Up A3000-16/50.  He discovered after taking
>the money of several people that C= was *not* suppling monitors with a Power
>Up A3000.  He is no longer accepting orders for the free monitor with an
>A3000-16/50, but is honoring the orders already taken.

Boy, I'm glad I didn't actally place the bet.  We'd never be able to
decide who won....

					-Dan
           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (05/21/91)

R Dicks) writes:
>I was visiting friends this weekend and drove by the dealer who was offering
>the 1950 monitor with the Power Up A3000-16/50.  He discovered after taking
>the money of several people that C= was *not* suppling monitors with a Power
>Up A3000.  He is no longer accepting orders for the free monitor with an
>A3000-16/50, but is honoring the orders already taken.

This is odd. I went by my local dealer this weekend, and told him that perhaps
he can combine the free A1950 for every A3000/16 deal with the Power-Up deal.
He replied that indeed he can, but he simply declines to pass on that free
monitor to the custommers.

He said that Commodore meant the free monitor deal to offset the dealer's
gratious efforts of stocking the bloody thing, and was not meant to be passed
on to custommers.

Hummphh.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700