[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Plato Computers

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) (05/22/91)

I called Plato Computers myself to find out if they were
offering monitors with their A3000s for the Power Up Upgrade
and they said that no they weren't. They said that they did
this for a few people, but aren't doing it anymore.

/laura

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.204508.3427@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I called Plato Computers myself to find out if they were
>offering monitors with their A3000s for the Power Up Upgrade
>and they said that no they weren't. They said that they did
>this for a few people, but aren't doing it anymore.

   This is true guys.  I am sorry to say that Commodore stopped him from
continuing the offer.  It appears that a few dealers caught wind of this and
through a fit to Commodore.  Commodore checked into it, admitted that it was
their falt on the wording of the offer to the dealers, and asked him to stop
selling (or was it giving) these systems away.  The bottom line is, the
winers won.  OH well, hope you were one of the lucky 15 that actually got
the deal.  What can I say, I was one of the poor slobs that paid the BIG
BUCKS last year when the box came out, but I'm not complaining, I've had my
killer A3000 for a year now, and have gotten an extra years enjoyment out
of it.
                                   See ya all later, Mike...

>/laura

      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.015227.24550@swbatl.sbc.com>, ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
> In article <1991May21.204508.3427@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>>I called Plato Computers myself to find out if they were
>>offering monitors with their A3000s for the Power Up Upgrade
>>and they said that no they weren't. They said that they did
>>this for a few people, but aren't doing it anymore.
>
>    This is true guys.  I am sorry to say that Commodore stopped him from
> continuing the offer.  It appears that a few dealers caught wind of this and
> through a fit to Commodore.

	Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe the fact that the dealer kit from Commodore
contained one letter from the distributor stating that the deals couldn't be
mixed, and another from the Vice President of CBM sales stating that the
Power up deal couldn't be mixed with any other promotions made them wonder
what PLATO was doing?  Dealers weren't supposed to be confused when they began
to lose customers to another place offering something that their contracts
expressly forbid them from offering?

>Commodore checked into it, admitted that it was
> their falt on the wording of the offer to the dealers, and asked him to stop
> selling (or was it giving) these systems away.

	Their fault?  I doubt it.  If the dealer had read his contract
carefully enough, or listened to people who called him questioning the deal, he
might have done better.  Instead he spread misinformation and tried to pull a
fast one over on Commodore and his distributor.

>The bottom line is, the
> winers won.

	Oh really?  Sounds to me like you don't care where the deal comes from,
as long as its cheap.  I assume you wouldn't have cared if the monitors had
been stolen from other dealers (essentially they were)?  It didn't bother you
that by scamming his distributor this guy was selling at a figure that was
probably BELOW dealer cost?

>  OH well, hope you were one of the lucky 15 that actually got
> the deal.  What can I say, I was one of the poor slobs that paid the BIG
> BUCKS last year when the box came out, but I'm not complaining, I've had my
> killer A3000 for a year now, and have gotten an extra years enjoyment out
> of it.
>                                    See ya all later, Mike...
>

>>/laura
>

> --
>  =============================================================================
>       Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
>           UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk
>  =============================================================================

Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every
dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
undercutting them.

						Doug
						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

sbkrys@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (Barry Kryshka, MN) (05/24/91)

> Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
> misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every
> dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
> There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
> received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
> asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
> his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
> deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
> flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
> undercutting them.
>
> 						Doug
> 						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

P.S.   Doug is a dealer.

--
Barry Kryshka     at    Macalester College-a feisty but small liberal arts place
sbkrys@macalstr.edu                                                    Minnesota

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.211813.585@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
>In article <1991May22.015227.24550@swbatl.sbc.com>, ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>> In article <1991May21.204508.3427@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>>>I called Plato Computers myself to find out if they were
>>>offering monitors with their A3000s for the Power Up Upgrade
>>>and they said that no they weren't. They said that they did
>>>this for a few people, but aren't doing it anymore.
>>
>>    This is true guys.  I am sorry to say that Commodore stopped him from
>> continuing the offer.  It appears that a few dealers caught wind of this and
>> through a fit to Commodore.
>
>	Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe the fact that the dealer kit from Commodore
>contained one letter from the distributor stating that the deals couldn't be
>mixed, and another from the Vice President of CBM sales stating that the
>Power up deal couldn't be mixed with any other promotions made them wonder
>what PLATO was doing?  Dealers weren't supposed to be confused when they began
>to lose customers to another place offering something that their contracts
>expressly forbid them from offering?

   Thats bogus bull!  Havn't you been reading the net before posting.  A few
messages back is an article stating the someones dealer (NOT Plato) stated
they too could have offered the deal, they just didn't want to loose the
extra $500.00 profit.  He admitted it to his customer!!!

>	Their fault?  I doubt it.  If the dealer had read his contract
>carefully enough, or listened to people who called him questioning the deal, he
>might have done better.  Instead he spread misinformation and tried to pull a
>fast one over on Commodore and his distributor.
   Pull a fast one over on his distributor, his distributor was the one who
pointed out the deal in the first place.  He is the one that made it possible.

>>The bottom line is, the
>> winers won.
>
>	Oh really?  Sounds to me like you don't care where the deal comes from,
>as long as its cheap.  I assume you wouldn't have cared if the monitors had
>been stolen from other dealers (essentially they were)?  It didn't bother you

  Stolen:  Get real, Commodore Gave them to him.  Better watch your accusations.

>that by scamming his distributor this guy was selling at a figure that was
>probably BELOW dealer cost?
  As I said, his distributor made it possible.  He was loving it, he made
money too.

>Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
>misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every

   My guess is that you are NOT one of the 15 that got the free monitor.
Bummer, sorry your so upset.  As far as misinformation goes, I simply passed
on what my dealer told me.  The deal existed, now it don't.  Don't blame me,
I was just trying to help the folks on the net.  I GOT NOTHING FROM THIS!!!!
NOT ONE LOUSY CENT!!!  So get off my back.

>dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
>There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
>received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
>asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
>his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
>deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
>flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
>undercutting them.

  Illegally undercutting them, give me a break, if it was so illigal, how come
Commodore honored the 15 that he already sold?  Why didn't they throw him in
jail for stealing the monitor from the other dealers (as you put it)?  What
a joke, grow up, all is fair in love and retail!!!

In article <1991May23.134944.589@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sbkrys@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (Barry Kryshka, MN) writes:
>> Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
>> misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every
>> dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
>> There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
>> received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
>> asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
>> his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
>> deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
>> flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
>> undercutting them.
>>
>> 						Doug
>> 						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU
>

>P.S.   Doug is a dealer.
   Figures!!!

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (05/29/91)

]In article <1991May23.195942.23691@swbatl.sbc.com>, ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
> In article <1991May22.211813.585@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
>>>
>>>    This is true guys.  I am sorry to say that Commodore stopped him from
>>> continuing the offer.  It appears that a few dealers caught wind of this and
>>> through a fit to Commodore.
>>
>>	Gee, I wonder why?  Maybe the fact that the dealer kit from Commodore
>>contained one letter from the distributor stating that the deals couldn't be
>>mixed, and another from the Vice President of CBM sales stating that the
>>Power up deal couldn't be mixed with any other promotions made them wonder
>>what PLATO was doing?  Dealers weren't supposed to be confused when they began
>>to lose customers to another place offering something that their contracts
>>expressly forbid them from offering?
>
>    Thats bogus bull!  Havn't you been reading the net before posting.  A few
> messages back is an article stating the someones dealer (NOT Plato) stated
> they too could have offered the deal, they just didn't want to loose the
> extra $500.00 profit.  He admitted it to his customer!!!
>

>>	Their fault?  I doubt it.  If the dealer had read his contract
>>carefully enough, or listened to people who called him questioning the deal, he
>>might have done better.  Instead he spread misinformation and tried to pull a
>>fast one over on Commodore and his distributor.
>    Pull a fast one over on his distributor, his distributor was the one who
> pointed out the deal in the first place.  He is the one that made it possible.
>

>>>The bottom line is, the
>>> winers won.
>>
>>	Oh really?  Sounds to me like you don't care where the deal comes from,
>>as long as its cheap.  I assume you wouldn't have cared if the monitors had
>>been stolen from other dealers (essentially they were)?  It didn't bother you
>
>   Stolen:  Get real, Commodore Gave them to him.  Better watch your accusations.
>
>>that by scamming his distributor this guy was selling at a figure that was
>>probably BELOW dealer cost?
>   As I said, his distributor made it possible.  He was loving it, he made
> money too.
>
>>Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
>>misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every
>
>    My guess is that you are NOT one of the 15 that got the free monitor.
> Bummer, sorry your so upset.  As far as misinformation goes, I simply passed
> on what my dealer told me.  The deal existed, now it don't.  Don't blame me,
> I was just trying to help the folks on the net.  I GOT NOTHING FROM THIS!!!!
> NOT ONE LOUSY CENT!!!  So get off my back.

	Mike, I'm sorry, but your wrong, plain wrong.  I told you you were
mistaken from the start, and I find your incessent refusal to believe the
truth frustrating.  Here's the deal.  I understand why your frustrated; Plato
lied to you too, and thats probably why your confused.  I'll type in a letter
from the Power Up dealer pack to help you get the picture.  If you want, I can
mail you a xerox copy (I'll have to check with my boss first on that, though.)
Here goes:
-----
						April 29, 1991

Dear Commodore Authorized Reseller:

Commodore is pleased to announce a special offer on Amiga 3000-16/50 and 1950
monitors.  From now until June 30, 1991, or until supplies last, you will
receive a FREE 1950 monitor with every A3000-15/50 purchased at your regular
dealer cost.

This program is not valid in conjunction with any other Commodore dealer
incentive, promotion or special pricing program.  That includes the Power Up
program.  Amiga 3000s purchased on a Power Up order form, at a reduced dealer
price, wil not be shipped with a free 1950 monitor.

If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact your Commodore
Sales Representative.

Sincerely,

	Ronald E. Stanczak
	Vice President, Sales.
-----

If Plato was an authorized dealer, then they should have received one of these.
In fact, I called them and told them that the deals couldn't be mixed more than
once.  They, like you, ignored me.

>>dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
>>There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
>>received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
>>asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
>>his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
>>deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
>>flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
>>undercutting them.
>
>   Illegally undercutting them, give me a break, if it was so illigal, how come
> Commodore honored the 15 that he already sold?  Why didn't they throw him in
> jail for stealing the monitor from the other dealers (as you put it)?

	I was speaking figuratively-- if dealers buy from the distributor, and
he steals monitors from them (via scam or their own ignorance) it is the other
dealers who will have to pay in the end, through higher costs.  Your right in a
way, though, because some of those costs would have probably been passed on to
the customers.  I guess it was more like stealing from the customers and the
dealers...

>  What
> a joke, grow up, all is fair in love and retail!!

	I think that sums up your attitude best.  I guess it didn't matter who
suffered, as long as someone got something on the cheap.

>>						Doug
>>						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU
>

> --
>  =============================================================================
>       Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
>           UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk
>  =============================================================================

						Doug
						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

In article <1991May23.211215.26729@swbatl.sbc.com>, ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
> In article <1991May23.134944.589@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sbkrys@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (Barry Kryshka, MN) writes:
>>> Gee Mike, maybe you should have thought before you started posting
>>> misinformation all over the nets.  Aren't you the user who told use every
>>> dealer got the free monitor, but that only PLATO was giving them away free?
>>> There was a tasty bit of misinformation, considering the fact that NO dealer
>>> received the free monitor with the power up deal.  When I called Plato and
>>> asked what was up, the guy on the other end of the phone told me how STUPID
>>> his distributor was, how if he filled out seperate forms, he could get both
>>> deals.  Doesn't sound very honest, does it?  Maybe you should think before you
>>> flame every dealer in the country for trying to find out who was illegally
>>> undercutting them.
>>>
>>> 						Doug
>>> 						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU
>>

>>P.S.   Doug is a dealer.
>    Figures!!!
>>
>>--
>>Barry Kryshka     at    Macalester College-a feisty but small liberal arts place
>>sbkrys@macalstr.edu                                                    Minnesota
>

> --
>  =============================================================================
>       Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
>           UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk
>  =============================================================================

Sigh.  First, I don't actually own a dealership, I just work in one.  I had
thought that the fact that I mentioned the contents of the CBM Power Up mailing
to dealers might indicate that I worked at a dealer, but I guess someone felt
the need to point it out again.  I assume the fact that I work part time on a
non-comission basis means that I'm a disgusting capitalist pig.  Please.
Everything I've told you is true.  It became frustrating to us when our
customers would call us up, tell us about Plato, and accuse us of stealing from
them, because of the psuedo-information you posted, and because of Plato's
attempt to scam their distributor.  Listen, if anyone wants more information, I
have it.  The dealer's never got the free monitor with the power up.  There was
no consipracy on the part of every dealer in the country except for Plato to
screw the customer.  I find it ironic that to some, they look like heros
because they tried to sell a ton of Amiga's in violation of contract at the
expense of those who played by the rules (and didn't break the law.)

If you have any more questions, e-mail me.

					Doug
					SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.182036.606@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:

>>>P.S.   Doug is a dealer.
>>    Figures!!!
>>>
>>>--
>>>Barry Kryshka     at    Macalester College-a feisty but small liberal arts place
>>>sbkrys@macalstr.edu                                                    Minnesota
>>

>> --
>>  =============================================================================
>>       Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
>>           UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk
>>  =============================================================================
>
>Sigh.  First, I don't actually own a dealership, I just work in one.  I had
>thought that the fact that I mentioned the contents of the CBM Power Up mailing
>to dealers might indicate that I worked at a dealer, but I guess someone felt
>the need to point it out again.  I assume the fact that I work part time on a
>non-comission basis means that I'm a disgusting capitalist pig.  Please.
>Everything I've told you is true.  It became frustrating to us when our
>customers would call us up, tell us about Plato, and accuse us of stealing from
>them, because of the psuedo-information you posted, and because of Plato's
>attempt to scam their distributor.  Listen, if anyone wants more information, I
>have it.  The dealer's never got the free monitor with the power up.  There was
>no consipracy on the part of every dealer in the country except for Plato to
>screw the customer.  I find it ironic that to some, they look like heros
>because they tried to sell a ton of Amiga's in violation of contract at the
>expense of those who played by the rules (and didn't break the law.)
>
>If you have any more questions, e-mail me.
>
>					Doug
>					SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) (05/30/91)

  In following the conversation between Doug and Mike, I don't think that
Doug realizes that Mike and I know Plato computers and know that they
wouldn't intentionally jeopardize their relatively newly one Commodore
dealership.  During the GAC (Gateway Amiga Club) meeting on May 1st, the
representative from Plato computers mentioned that if you bought a 3000/16
system, Commodore was giving a monitor to the dealer.  Since he has a new
dealership he thought the publicity was worth the loss of Commodore's gift
and he would be willing to pass the monitor on to the user.  The other
dealers, even those at the meeting, did not find it hard to say "thats his
perogative".
  Later that evening some members of the club asked him to call C= about
adding the 1950 to the power up deal.  He said he would check, but didn't,
before a large group of Amiga enthusiasts, say he would do it.  I didn't
hear of his deal until a week later.  Why decide to "steal" from people
after your best opportunity has passed?  I can only conclude that he did as
he said.  He checked with C=.  He'd been doing that a lot anyway to make
sure he was meeting at least the minimum requirements to keep his
dealership.  If C= and Plato had problems in communication (obviously he
either did not get the quoted letter, or did not get by the time he started
giving 1950 monitors away) whos fault is that?
  When on the phone did you ask if he had gotten the letter of April 29th?
He was learning of incentive plans strictly on the phone at that time.  Or
through the other dealers in town.  (Who were probably just as pissed when
he added the two deals together.)  So for almost a week Plato offered a
deal which Commodore didn't intend on offering, but ARE supporting, and a
few people got cheaper 3000/16's.  It seems to me that when C= saw the
mistake they corrected it and did the right thing.  They said no more, but
we're not going to lose this new dealer.
  So lets mellow out, there's not just one heavy and a posse of good guys.
There was miscommunication and a willingness for the Amiga market not to
think about the good of all involved.
	Charlie
P.S. I have no affiliation with Plato and didn't buy one of the packages in
	question.
--
Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)
Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS

monty@sagpd1 (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.180142.605@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:

>Dear Commodore Authorized Reseller:
>

>Commodore is pleased to announce a special offer on Amiga 3000-16/50 and 1950
>monitors.  From now until June 30, 1991, or until supplies last, you will
>receive a FREE 1950 monitor with every A3000-15/50 purchased at your regular
>dealer cost.
>
>This program is not valid in conjunction with any other Commodore dealer
>incentive, promotion or special pricing program.  That includes the Power Up
>program.  Amiga 3000s purchased on a Power Up order form, at a reduced dealer
>price, wil not be shipped with a free 1950 monitor.

    Doug,

    The way I read this is if a dealer ordered A3000-15/50 at their normal
    dealer cost that a A1950 would be included free. Now this states that
    the A3000's bought for the Powerup program were at a different cost.
    If so why would it be wrong for the dealer to buy both types and pass
    on the monitor to the previous C= customer, as long as he bought the
    correct amount of each type? Sounds to me like a dealer that thought
    more of previous customer than new customers and I say good for him!

    If this is what happened then please do like the wolf and give up
    on the "sour grapes".

    Monty Saine

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.231628.28917@sagpd1>, monty@sagpd1 writes:
> In article <1991May28.180142.605@mac.cc.macalstr.edu> sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
>>
>>Dear Commodore Authorized Reseller:
>>

>>Commodore is pleased to announce a special offer on Amiga 3000-16/50 and 1950
>>monitors.  From now until June 30, 1991, or until supplies last, you will
>>receive a FREE 1950 monitor with every A3000-15/50 purchased at your regular
>>dealer cost.
>>
>>This program is not valid in conjunction with any other Commodore dealer
>>incentive, promotion or special pricing program.  That includes the Power Up
>>program.  Amiga 3000s purchased on a Power Up order form, at a reduced dealer
>>price, wil not be shipped with a free 1950 monitor.
>>

>     Doug,
>
>     The way I read this is if a dealer ordered A3000-15/50 at their normal
>     dealer cost that a A1950 would be included free. Now this states that
>     the A3000's bought for the Powerup program were at a different cost.
>     If so why would it be wrong for the dealer to buy both types and pass
>     on the monitor to the previous C= customer, as long as he bought the
>     correct amount of each type? Sounds to me like a dealer that thought
>     more of previous customer than new customers and I say good for him!
>
>     If this is what happened then please do like the wolf and give up
>     on the "sour grapes".
>
>     Monty Saine

	You are 100% correct.  If that was what happened, I would have no right
complain.  It isn't.  He would have had to stock the excess, full price 3000s
and give away the monitors to the power up types.  Nothing wrong with that, but
that wasn't the case; this dealer was trying to get his distributor to send him
the free monitors with machines bought at the power up price.  That is why
Commodore shut him down.

						Doug
						SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU
PS-  If you want to flame, just e-mail me!