[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Cross-Border Shipping

plummer@hercules.cs.uregina.ca (Dave Plummer) (06/25/91)

Has anyone ever had any experience shipping equipment over the border?
I can't find anyone willing to ship COD, and I don't know of any safe
way to buy/sell stuff across the border.

If you know of a safe and/or easy way, please email me!

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (06/25/91)

[Posted because this may be of general interest]

In article <636@regina.uregina.ca> plummer@hercules.cs.uregina.ca (Dave Plummer) writes:
>Has anyone ever had any experience shipping equipment over the border?

My company has often done business with firms and end users in Canada.
UPS will ship most anything, as will Federal Express.  RoadWay Package
Express may have international service now, too.

>I can't find anyone willing to ship COD, and I don't know of any safe
>way to buy/sell stuff across the border.

That's just the problem: COD services are usually not offered.  Currency
exchange is a problem, as are dutied, taxes, etc.  It's just not worth it
for the shipping companies.

>If you know of a safe and/or easy way, please email me!

Well, you can get the packages there no problem.  The main problem seems
to be with the monetary transaction.  Currency conversion really isn't
that hard, and your bank can help you with foreign checks.

All of this assumes that you can trust the other person in the
transaction.  I've made many net.purchases and I've never been burned
(busily knocking now), but you never know.  You could ask for references,
but there's no way to be completely safe.  I just work it where both
parties send their goods at the same time.  That way both people are
under the same amount of risk.
--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu