[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Atari ST emulators

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (01/09/91)

Glad to see that the reorganization is done. 8-)

There has been some talk recently in c.s.atari.st about Amiga ST
emulators.  I am considering what computer to upgrade to, and would
appreciate hearing about ST emulators that work with Amiga 3000s (the
first Amiga I could live with happily).  Please email and I will
summarize if anyone else is interested (somehow I doubt that there
will be much interest from most amiga owners 8-).

Thanks,

	Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or
uunet!uvm-gen!pegram

In article <1991Jan8.232718.903@uvm.edu> pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
> I am considering what computer to upgrade to, and would
> appreciate hearing about ST emulators that work with Amiga 3000s

I don't know of any. The problem is that a lot of Atari ST software (including
the operating system !) does things that are verboten on 68020s and 68030s.
You might be able to get a TT emulator... what's the status of the TT anyway?
Does it support ST software?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.232718.903@uvm.edu> pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
>Glad to see that the reorganization is done. 8-)

Mee too!

>There has been some talk recently in c.s.atari.st about Amiga ST
>emulators.  I am considering what computer to upgrade to, and would
>appreciate hearing about ST emulators that work with Amiga 3000s (the
>first Amiga I could live with happily).
Well, there are two Atari ST emulators - and they're both illegal.
Or supposedly illegal.. a "representitive" from Atari says they
are, as they contain within the PD-ish program the TOS operating
system and Atari propriatary code...
(this is not to say that I havent seen them work! on the contrary,
  these little atari ST emulators which are just software work
  great!!!)

Not that I'm advocating their use. I am, however, suggesting that
the next person who decides they're going to use Atari TOS
either 1) asks atari first (yeah! like that *might* happen)
       2) Do what the A64Package dude did... make your own *COMPATABLE*
roms which do the SAME tasks written a little differently. THat should
be legal and all, so...

But if the Atari ST is the deciding factor in whether you should buy an Amiga
or not, I say buy it anyway, and wait for someone to come out
with a legal version.

I was kinda told, polietely, not to give out my various ST emulator
stuff, so, I'msorry I cannot help you..

->Monitor of c.s.a.emulations

--> original poster  >pegram@griffin.uvm.edu

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		  jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu (line 1 = jeremym)

jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (01/10/91)

In article <17425@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>Well, there are two Atari ST emulators - and they're both illegal.
>Or supposedly illegal.. a "representitive" from Atari says they
>are, as they contain within the PD-ish program the TOS operating
>system and Atari propriatary code...
>(this is not to say that I havent seen them work! on the contrary,
>  these little atari ST emulators which are just software work
>  great!!!)
>
>But if the Atari ST is the deciding factor in whether you should buy an Amiga
>or not, I say buy it anyway, and wait for someone to come out
>with a legal version.

Well, the Chameleon, German release I believe, was supposidly a
hardware/software emulation package that is sold commercially
(and legally!).

Also, there is another new Hardware/Software package available
called brainSTorm sold by M.A.S.T  (AmigaWorld Feb1991, p.109)
And THIS one looks very promising at $99!

So, if you are going to buy an Amiga to be an ST, you can.
It just might cost ya a bit.

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (01/11/91)

<Sorry if you see this twice, I think it didn't go out the first time RBPIII>

From article <7486@sugar.hackercorp.com>,
by peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva):

I wrote:

>> I am considering what computer to upgrade to, and would
>> appreciate hearing about ST emulators that work with Amiga 3000s
>
> I don't know of any. The problem is that a lot of Atari ST software
> (including the operating system !) does things that are verboten on
> 68020s and 68030s. You might be able to get a TT emulator... what's
> the status of the TT anyway?  Does it support ST software?
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Well yes you're right, I forgot 8-). TOS versions before the STE (TOS
1.62, 256k instead of 192K) do those things, as do many programs.

The TT is out in Europe (Germany definitely) and Canada.  I believe it
passed the FCC tests in early December '90, so it could be available
here, but I've not heard about it.  It does support ST software,
supposedly lots of serious stuff - forget the games (but that was true
of TOS 1.4 and 1.6X too), however it must be with difficulty.  I am
waiting to hear what works and what doesn't.

TT roms or modified STE roms would work in a 3000.  In fact, Atari
sells modified STE roms to would be manufacturers of '030 speedup
boards for STs - none are out yet as far as I know, only announced.
The TT roms, also used in the Comdex announced mega STE, are more
desirable because of bug fixes and a very nice new desktop.

cheers,

Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or