[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Why not Hardware?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/17/91)

It seems to me all (Most all) the Emulators I've seen are
totally software. (With the exception of a bridgeboard)

How about a "Hardware" "thinggie" to put 6502's ect...
and whatnots on.

How about a c64 Bridgeboard!.. For the 500!.. I'd buy one!
How about a Sega-Adaptor....
How about a Nintendo .....
How about a ???

How about a 1571 "program" to allow you to use your amiga as a
Drive for your 64. (Ie ya plug ya 64 into the amiga, and use it's
hard drive)

Well Just mindless babbling... I want a 100% speed c64 tho on my amiga 500!
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

In article <yorkw.664126959@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>It seems to me all (Most all) the Emulators I've seen are
>totally software. (With the exception of a bridgeboard)
>
>How about a "Hardware" "thinggie" to put 6502's ect...
>and whatnots on.
>
>How about a c64 Bridgeboard!.. For the 500!.. I'd buy one!
>How about a Sega-Adaptor....
>How about a Nintendo .....
>How about a ???

Point is cost, as mostly. If you decide to make a "little" board
with a 6502 on it, then you also must put all the special peripheral
chips of the emulated machine on that board. As far as I know
this is always the hard (and slow) part of an emulation. To emulate
a sheer processor is not such a hard thing, but to watch for certain
addresses that are peripheral registers and then react accordingly,
that takes real effort. So in the end your "thinggie" would carry
about 70 % of the hardware of the emulated device. That's normally
not worth the money.

>How about a 1571 "program" to allow you to use your amiga as a
>Drive for your 64. (Ie ya plug ya 64 into the amiga, and use it's
>hard drive)
Now that sounds nice! Regarding all those VERY few and expensive
hard disks for the C64, this could indeed turn out as a rather
effective solution! You know there are already handler programs
existant for the Amiga to access the serial bus, and the hardware
interface is also well-known. The only thing one would have to
adapt is that the software (as far as I know) wants to act as
the bus controller, like the C64. So this would have to be changed
to act as a passive bus device. Sounds really like a neat little
project. Someone volunteering?