[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Bridgeboard Graphics Displays - are they as slow as I think?

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (01/18/91)

	Since I got my bridgeboard, I've noticed that the display is rather
slow when displaying graphics. This occurs even with the window having a
priority of 10, and no other processes running. Has anybody else noticed this?
Also, how does the display perform with an accelerator in the system (the Amiga
side, I mean)? Does the speed pick up or is the display still slow?

					Ian

Ian Rowlands                     | Uni : ianr@ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |   OR ..!uunet!mullian.ee.mu.oz.au!ianr
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au
University of Melbourne          |   OR ..!uunet!gpark.pub.uu.oz.au!ianr

iheitla@cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) (01/18/91)

Ian Rowlands said :
>       Since I got my bridgeboard, I've noticed that the display is rather
> slow when displaying graphics. This occurs even with the window having a
> priority of 10, and no other processes running. Has anybody else noticed this?
> Also, how does the display perform with an accelerator in the system (the Amiga
> side, I mean)? Does the speed pick up or is the display still slow?

Yes I got a commodore XT-card running with a Herculesvideo card.
Both the Hercules and the Ami-window can monitor the same output.
Then you can see that the window is indeed slower.
I have no answer nor a solution for this. Sorry it is just happening

BTW somehow it aint fair, a m68k running as a I/O processor for a Intel8088.
(But life goes on. sigh)

Ilja Heitlager
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The Netherlands
<iheitla@cs.vu.nl>

In article <6474@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:

>	Since I got my bridgeboard, I've noticed that the display is rather
>slow when displaying graphics. This occurs even with the window having a
>priority of 10, and no other processes running.

Yes, that can't be avoided since there is really some overhead.
When the PC (or AT) side writes something into its video RAM area,
that occurs with full speed and appears immediately on the Amiga
side in the dual-ported RAM. But this is NOT the Amiga display RAM!
So there is a circuitry that detects every change in this RAM area
and causes an interrupt for the Amiga CPU. In that interrupt routine
the Amiga copies the changed data to the appropriate bitmaps in its
Chip memory, so that it becomes visible. So there is a delay until
a change appears visible on the Amiga screen, but the overall
performance of the PC side is NOT affected. (This can turn into a
disadvantage when an A2286 scrolls a DIR so fast that you lose most
of it when viewing it in an Amiga window...)

>Also, how does the display perform with an accelerator in the system (the Amiga
>side, I mean)? Does the speed pick up or is the display still slow?

Yes, this helps, as the CPU can do the above mentioned things faster.
But you can never achieve the speed of a simple PC-side pure-text
display.

andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) (01/22/91)

In article <6474@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:
> Since I got my bridgeboard, I've noticed that the display is rather
>slow when displaying graphics. This occurs even with the window
>having a priority of 10, and no other processes running. Has anybody
>else noticed this?

Yes, this is due to the fact that a task on the 68000 side has to
read the dual port RAM and write to the bit planes of the MSDOS
window.  This causes the only compatibility problem I have noticed
with my SideCar, which is not being able to run some games which
update the screen continually (not that MSDOS games are worth
playing).

The effect can be lessenned somewhat by using less colours in the
MSDOS window, thus reducing the number of bit planes that the task
has to write to.  Actually I find it surprising that it is as fast as
it is considering its done in software (with a bit of hardware help
to avoid bit fiddling).  This speed limitation is probably why there
has never been EGA emulation for SideCar/BridgeBoard.

>Also, how does the display perform with an accelerator in the system
>(the Amiga side, I mean)? Does the speed pick up or is the display
>still slow?

An Amiga accelerator would improve it somewhat but probably the
greatest limiting factor is the speed of writing to CHIP RAM.  Of
course, having an accelerator on the MSDOS side (such as a 386 card)
would not improve the display update speed at all.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Phillips (andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au) Phone +61 (Aust) 2 (Sydney) 289 8712