[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] A3000/AMax Problems

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (01/18/91)

I am posting this article for a friend.  I have not seen the problem in
question, and am describing it from the description she gave me.

My friend has a 25MHz A3000 equipped with 16M of RAM.  With this setup,
AMax installed with 128K ROMS refuses to run.  As a test, the memory was
reduced to 9M, and with this configuration AMax ran successfully.
Nothing else was changed.

Does anyone have any ideas why this should be so?  My initial thoughs
were that the Mac ROMs may be unable to handle 16M of RAM, but I thought
that I would ask the net if anyone else has any ideas.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/19/91)

In article <1114@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>My friend has a 25MHz A3000 equipped with 16M of RAM.  With this setup,
>AMax installed with 128K ROMS refuses to run.  As a test, the memory was
>reduced to 9M, and with this configuration AMax ran successfully.

Your guess is probably correct: I don't think any of the non-MacII macs
can handle more than 8Mb of ram.  Many (most?) can only be expanded to
2.5 or 4Mb.  I don't think you can put more than 8Mb in a stock MacII.

But yes, your initial assumption was correct.  The 128K mac roms blew
up when they saw that much memory.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (01/23/91)

>In article <1114@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>My friend has a 25MHz A3000 equipped with 16M of RAM.  With this setup,
>AMax installed with 128K ROMS refuses to run.  As a test, the memory was
>reduced to 9M, and with this configuration AMax ran successfully.
>Nothing else was changed.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas why this should be so?  My initial thoughs
>were that the Mac ROMs may be unable to handle 16M of RAM, but I thought
>that I would ask the net if anyone else has any ideas.

At our site we have an A3000 equipped with 16MegF/2MegC and A-Max II runs perfectly
on this machine. But be aware, that the SE-ROMS are not able to handle more than
4 MByte (at least, as far a I now) and the rest of RAM should be dedicated to the
RAM-Disk!

Ciao,Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg | UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar
-
"42" (Deep Thought, some million years ago)

In article <1114@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

>My friend has a 25MHz A3000 equipped with 16M of RAM.  With this setup,
>AMax installed with 128K ROMS refuses to run.  As a test, the memory was
>reduced to 9M, and with this configuration AMax ran successfully.
>Nothing else was changed.

>Does anyone have any ideas why this should be so?

I suspect there's just a little bit of magic here at work.  The current Mac
operating system can only handle 24 bit addressing, basically what you get
with a 68000.  Mac IIs running the Mac OS use the MMU to make everything
wrap to 24 bits, and I imagine the AMAX II does something similar on the
A3000.  Internal A3000 Fast memory is mapped from $07000000-$07ffffff on that
16MB machine, well out of the 24 bit space used by the 68000 hardware.  With
some MMU tables, you could translate some of this Fast memory into 24 bit
space, but certainly not all of it, since there are I/O regions that must
be taken out of the total 16MB space 24 bit addressing gives you.

Presumably if Apple releases their System 7.0, which reportedly fixes this
problem in the Mac OS (though not necessarily all Mac applications), AND
System 7.0 learns to deal with non-contiguous memory pools (like AmigaOS does),
AND AMAX gets upgraded to do whatever is necessary to live under System 7.0,
than you may get all 16MB free under AMAX.

>Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9400

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett