From: marten@feki.toppoint.de (Marten Feldtmann)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st.tech
Subject: Re: how about an upgrade to 68010
Date: 24 Jan 91 09:23:29 GMT

In article <klamer.664014474@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) writes:

>AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu writes:

>>>>and should run about 10% faster.

 No, that's not realistic.  The most you can get is about 3% to 5%.  5%
with programs, wich do *much* arithmetic!

>There is a different expection/trap format for the both chips.
>Tos assumes it is a 68000 and thus will fail.

 Yes, that's the problem.  But one can get here in Germany a
patch-program for some money from a magazine called "c't", which reads
the built-in TOS and produces a new TOS (one has to burn it into EPROMS
of course) working with 68010/20.  I did this work with the TOS-1.2.

 But some people are waiting for the release of a (not official)
TOS-version called KAOS-TOS, which is said to work with the 010/020/030
and bases on TOS 1.4.

 It's said, that it's compatible with ABC GEM 2.2, has no Line-F Code
and improvements an the AES and GEMDOS.

 One can even improve this program by using the KAOS-TOS together with
a new programm call NVDI (= new vdi).

 Results from Quick Index for KAOS and NVDI:

   TOS text:     286%
   TOS string   1075%
   TOS scroll    132%
   GEM dialog    367%

 (numbers from 'ST-Computer, 1/91, page 21)

 NVDI is a commercial program.

 KAOS was offered to Atari, but Atari-US rejected it. (One can read in
our magazines, that Atari-Germany is very interested in this new
TOS-version.....)

 So the developers are still looking for another way to publish it.
Some thought of the release via book, with a disk with a patch-program

>Same problem occurs with a 68020 and a 68030. (probably 68040 as well --
>haven't seen any spec's about him).

 I thought, that the 040 is the first processor, which doesn't support
the variable bus-range (8-, 16- or 32-bit), which allows the 020 or 030
to work with a 16-bit architecture like the ST oder Amiga(500/2000).

 Marten

Marten Feldtmann, Kieler Str. 29, W-2300 Kiel 14, Germany, Tel.: +49 431 731916
             DNET/EUNET/USENET/SUBNET: marten@tpki.toppoint.de
         Please keep your replies short - I have to pay for them