[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amiga Mach

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) (01/25/91)

	Recently, the AmigaSIG group at Carnegie Mellon University has been
attempting to convince the administration to accept Amigas as an
official campus-supported computer, as are IBMs and Macs.  However, for
some reason, the administration requires us to have Mach.  In an attempt
to appease the administration, we've begun a project to port Mach over
to the Amiga.  However, we've run into a stumbling block:
	Commodore, unfortunately, has decided that they cannot lend us any help
due to their contract agreements with AT&T and the Unix deal.  So, my
question is thus:

Has anyone tried to port Mach to the Amiga, and if so, how?
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Laurence David Silverman
ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University

stefanb@kaa.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) (01/30/91)

ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:
>	Commodore, unfortunately, has decided that they cannot lend us any help
>due to their contract agreements with AT&T and the Unix deal.  So, my
>question is thus:

:-(

>Has anyone tried to port Mach to the Amiga, and if so, how?

Why not start a porting project? If the source is available without a hefty
price tag (unlike AT&T), I would be interested to work on the port. With GCC in
our hands this should not be impossible.

Anyone interested?

	Stefan

--
Mail  : Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, D-5100 Aachen  ///    Only
Phone : +49-241-505705   FIDO: 2:242/7.6    Germany     ///  Amiga makes

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (01/31/91)

In article <stefanb.665235258@kaa>, stefanb@kaa.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:
> ls3c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laurence D. Silverman) writes:
>>	Commodore, unfortunately, has decided that they cannot lend us any help
>>due to their contract agreements with AT&T and the Unix deal.  So, my
>>question is thus:
>
> :-(
>
>>Has anyone tried to port Mach to the Amiga, and if so, how?
>
> Why not start a porting project? If the source is available without a hefty
> price tag (unlike AT&T), I would be interested to work on the port. With GCC in
> our hands this should not be impossible.

The reason Carnegie Melon wants the Amiga to run MACH is because MACH was
written at CM for the NeXT. I don't know if CM still does updates for it
though, or if NeXT, Inc, is doing it.

Somewhere on the CMU campus is probably the source for MACH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (02/01/91)

> The reason Carnegie Melon wants the Amiga to run MACH is because MACH was
> written at CM for the NeXT. I don't know if CM still does updates for it
> though, or if NeXT, Inc, is doing it.

Not only that, but the powers that be won't even consider making the
Amiga a university-supported campus system unless Mach exists for it.
(And it's CMU, not CM.)

Mike Shapiro
ms0p@andrew.cmu.edu
I don't live in fantasy; I only work there.