[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amiga to Mac,IBM,Atari

phata@research.cc.flinders.edu.au (Zax) (01/29/91)

Finally, Comp. Sci. may be getting and Amiga, BUT first they need some
more information.
The situation is like this - the administration here wants to be able
to allow students to write programs/files at home, bring them to uni and
copy them to the mainframe. Obviously Amiga is the best machine for
this job. What I need to know is

	1)	what good dos2dos PD programs are there that will
copy files from IBuM to Amiga and Atari to Amiga with standard drives?
(or even commercial programs - I don't have to pay for it, they do)

	2) 	Also how hard is it to copy MacInslosh files to the
Amiga? Can it be done cheaply with a Mac drive connected? Is there PD
or even commercial software that will do it with a mac drive? Or do we
need a version of AMAX? Is it hard to connect a Mac drive to the
Amiga? Can I think of any more questions?

	I think that's about it. Any remotely relavent help will be
much appreciated.

	Thanx in advance.
							-Zax

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (02/01/91)

>In article <601@research.cc.flinders.oz> phata@research.cc.flinders.edu.au (Zax) writes:
>
>	1)	what good dos2dos PD programs are there that will
>copy files from IBuM to Amiga and Atari to Amiga with standard drives?
>(or even commercial programs - I don't have to pay for it, they do)

Use MSH (newest version on Fish 382) or commercial DOS2DOS. First is better!

>	2) 	Also how hard is it to copy MacInslosh files to the
>Amiga? Can it be done cheaply with a Mac drive connected? Is there PD
>or even commercial software that will do it with a mac drive? Or do we
>need a version of AMAX? Is it hard to connect a Mac drive to the
>Amiga? Can I think of any more questions?

Use original 800k-Appledrive and Mac2Dos form Central Coast Software. If
you buy package B a drive is included which can also (!) be used as amiga-drive.
But this drive (called Laserdrive) does NOT work with AMAX!

Hope this helps!
Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "42" (Deep Thought, some million years ago)

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/02/91)

In article <601@research.cc.flinders.oz> phata@research.cc.flinders.edu.au (Zax) writes:

>Finally, Comp. Sci. may be getting and Amiga, BUT first they need some
>more information.
>The situation is like this - the administration here wants to be able
>to allow students to write programs/files at home, bring them to uni and
>copy them to the mainframe. Obviously Amiga is the best machine for
>this job. What I need to know is
>
>	1)	what good dos2dos PD programs are there that will
>copy files from IBuM to Amiga and Atari to Amiga with standard drives?
>(or even commercial programs - I don't have to pay for it, they do)

  I think Dos2Dos and CrossDos are both available as public domain, but you
will not be able to convert from Amiga to IBM/Atari. With the PD version, you
can read from IBM/Atari to Amiga, so look for the PD versions of CrossDos
or Dos2Dos (I have both, and am sure that at least one is PD).

>	2) 	Also how hard is it to copy MacInslosh files to the
>Amiga? Can it be done cheaply with a Mac drive connected? Is there PD
>or even commercial software that will do it with a mac drive? Or do we
>need a version of AMAX? Is it hard to connect a Mac drive to the
>Amiga? Can I think of any more questions?

  You need Mac2Dos with a Macintosh disk drive. It will cost $90 for Mac2Dos
and the disk drive adapter, and it will cost $150 for the Mac external disk
drive. If you have AMAX! and an external disk drive, it will cost $450. Both
will allow you to convert from Amiga to Mac or Mac to Amiga.

>	I think that's about it. Any remotely relavent help will be
>much appreciated.
>
>	Thanx in advance.
>							-Zax

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/02/91)

Do not buy Dos-2-Dos.  It is a waste of money because there are
much better programs available.

Dos-2-Dos can only transfer files by running the program through
the cli.  And then you have to use Cli commands to move files
back and forth.  It was probably writen by someone who never
heard of Intuition.

Dos-2-Dos is not public domain.

Msh is a public domain program that reads, writes and formats
IBM 3.5" and 5.25" disks.  As far as the Amiga user is concerned
once MSH is mounted, the interface is transparent.  i.e.
You can read and write to IBM disks from any program and you
won't even realize that it is not an Amiga disk.
This program is wonderful.  It does not say anything about using
Atari disks.

CrossDOS is a similiar program.
In its tryware version it reads IBM and ATARI disks but can not
write to them.
The commercial version reads and writes IBM and ATARI disks.

Both MSH and CrossDOS can read and write to Harddrives that
are IBM formated.

MSH and the tryware version of CrossDOS are available on
the Fred Fish disks.  They both work with 2.0, with a few
bugs.

john macdonald

mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Firestar) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.105003.8469@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>MSH and the tryware version of CrossDOS are available on
>the Fred Fish disks.  They both work with 2.0, with a few
>bugs.

Has anyone gotten MSH to WRITE to an IBM disk under 2.0?  It seems to read
from them with little problem, but just spins when written to.

					Firestar

* Michael Pins (Firestar)     |   Internet: mtpins@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     *
* ISCA's Amiga Librarian      |         #include <std.disclaimer>           *

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.105003.8469@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>Both MSH and CrossDOS can read and write to Harddrives that
>are IBM formated.

It is even possible to set the file system information on the hard disk
to Messydisk. Handy if you have a bridgeboard.

>john macdonald

Matt Crowd