[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] I need help with these MAC files!!

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/25/91)

I have the following MAC files and I don't know how to get them back to
their original format.

        7680 Dec  2 02:10 MouseScaling_sit_bin
       89238 Jan 24 20:02 command-line-interface.hqx
        6981 Jan 24 20:01 welcome-editor.hqx

the first file is the main one i need to look at, I have access to
Stuffit 1.5.1 but it can't recognise this file ?? Is it compressed
with some other format ? I havn't tried the last two yet and if they
are any different could someone please explain.

thanks, Matt Crowd, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au

tombs@ee.rochester.edu (Thomas Tombs) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan25.101503.1763@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:

>I have the following MAC files and I don't know how to get them back to
>their original format.
>
>        7680 Dec  2 02:10 MouseScaling_sit_bin
>       89238 Jan 24 20:02 command-line-interface.hqx
>        6981 Jan 24 20:01 welcome-editor.hqx
>
>the first file is the main one i need to look at, I have access to
>Stuffit 1.5.1 but it can't recognise this file ?? Is it compressed
>with some other format ? I havn't tried the last two yet and if they
>are any different could someone please explain.
>
>thanks, Matt Crowd, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au

.hqx files are encoded ASCII files.
To unstuff .hqx files you first must choose UUDECODE under the OTHER menu
in StuffIt.  This makes it a .sit file.  Note: .sit files are binary files
and must be sent as such (i.e. when using ftp type BINARY before you send
the file).  .sit files can then be unstuffed with Stuffit to their original
form with the EXTRACT button after the archive is opened and selected.

Thomas Tombs                      tombs@ee.rochester.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
University of Rochester           TEL:716-275-8091
Rochester, NY 14627               FAX:716-473-0486

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (01/25/91)

You should FTP the first file in straight binary format.  If you're
then going to download the file to your machine via modem, then
any of the current Mac term programs will do the conversion for
you automatically.  If you choose, you can also just get the file
to your machine in straight binary (not MacBinary!) format and then
use the "MacBinary" program (available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
the /info-mac/comm directory) to translate the file to its correct
form.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- RGH Radiology and CWRU Psych./Chem.

"Gee, I never knew so much thinkin' went along with goin' to college."
                                             -- Wally Cleaver

hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Jan25.101503.1763@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au
(Matt Crowd) says:

>I have the following MAC files and I don't know how to get them back to
>their original format.
>
>        7680 Dec  2 02:10 MouseScaling_sit_bin
          (stuff deleted)

I ftp'ed it in the native Amiga mode, and then when I used the A-Max II file
transfer software to move it to Mac mode, I hit the MacBinary button to the
right of where I click to tell the program to move from AmigaDOS, and the
file proposed and saved to the Mac disk was a .sit file, which means StuffIt.

Harry R. Meyer   hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu