[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] AMAX & Mac ROMS

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/30/91)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:

>Why is it that AMAX only uses the 128K roms?  Why don't they make the AMAX II
>able to use either the 128k OR the 512K roms.  Seems kind of stupid to limit
>you to emulating the old machines.

Only the 128K ROMs are available to the public, this is because there are a
lot of Mac Pluses that have been junked, and Apple _USED_ to have an upgrade
deal that didn't require you to send back the ROMs.  They are VERY strict about
sending back any ROMs now.  I also don't think a lot of Mac II's are headed
for the junk heap (yet).  So in order to use the 512K ROM, you would either
have to pirate a ROM or disable a Mac II.  Two options which aren't very
appealing to Readysoft to promote.
--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

jonka@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan KAGLE) (02/06/91)

In article <7293@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) writes:
>Why is it that AMAX only uses the 128K roms?  Why don't they make the AMAX II
>able to use either the 128k OR the 512K roms.  Seems kind of stupid to limit
>you to emulating the old machines.

I don't know very much about the actual AMAX II product, but there seem to be
some logical reasons behind this decision.

     - AMAX copies the ROMs into RAM and modifies the binary.  The changes
       are made to absolute addresses and have a fixed size.  ReadySoft
       would have to re-reverse engineer each type of ROM.
     - There are at least three kinds of 256K ROM and two kinds of 512K
       ROM.
     - Many (all?) of the new ROMs come in SIMMs, which are incompatible
       with the DIP sockets in AMAX.
     - Color QuickDraw is probably tough to hack, especially if you have
       only 512K of chip RAM.
     - There aren't very many ROM sets available for these new machines
       that are available on the market.

       -Jonathan