[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] To and From a Mac

gavin@krypton.asd.sgi.com (Gavin Bell) (02/03/91)

I have an Amiga 1000 at home, and want to word process/spreadsheet at
home, then take the results to school to be printed on one of many
Mac's connected to LaserWriters.

First, I'd like to hear any comments from people who are doing
somethink like that-- are you using AMAX?  Mac2Dos? A modem and PD
software?  How difficult is it?  What kinds of files are you able to
transfer?  Can you transfer word processor files?  Spreadsheet files?

Next, I want to do all of this as inexpensively as possible; I don't
want to buy a new computer right now (there is really nothing exciting
enough out there), but I could get a Mac Classic with 40 meg hard
drive for close to $1,000, so it must cost less than that.

In addition to the Mac stuff, I'd need to get a hard drive for my
Amiga to make the setup bearable.

It looks like everything will cost (all prices from a local Amiga
store, except for the external mac disk, which is the price quoted
from the Stanford bookstore):

Mac2Dos:              $112.00  Supra HD controller:   189.00
800 K MacDisk:         277.00  Fujitsu 45 M Drive:    279.00
-----------------------------  Power Supply, box:      95.00
MacStuff               389.00  Cables:                 15.00
-----------------------------  -----------------------------
Grand total (Mac+Drive)967.00  Hard Drive             578.00

Are there less expensive hard drives available for the Amiga 1000?
--
--gavin     (gavin@sgi.com,  (415)335-1024)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/04/91)

In article <1236@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker)
says:

> %In addition to the Mac stuff, I'd need to get a hard drive for my
> %Amiga to make the setup bearable.
>
>Yes, a hard drive makes life sooo much easier.  If you want to run AMAXII,
>I recommend calling ReadySoft and finding out exactly which controllers they
>support.  I have a SupraWordsync and had to purchase the driver for a Mac
>partition directly from them, but I have had no problems.

To possibly save you a call, I can tell you they support at least these:
Commodore A590/A2091
GVP (all)
HardFrame
Supra (mentioned above)

If you've got one of these, you're set.  They support others, but these are
the ones I know.  If you've got something else, by all means call them. :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan) (02/04/91)

What Readysoft told me is that the Hardframe controller won't be supported
until March, when they get the driver done...
Too bad cause it's a great card. (i.e. Fast!)

-John

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/04/91)

In article <1236@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:

> %I have an Amiga 1000 at home, and want to word process/spreadsheet at
> %home, then take the results to school to be printed on one of many
> %Mac's connected to LaserWriters.
>
> %First, I'd like to hear any comments from people who are doing
> %somethink like that-- are you using AMAX?  Mac2Dos? A modem and PD
> %software?  How difficult is it?  What kinds of files are you able to
> %transfer?  Can you transfer word processor files?  Spreadsheet files?
>
>AMAXII comes with a new transfer program that runs on the Amax side and
>allows one to read/write AmigaDOS disks.  It also has hard drive support
>for a Mac partition.  So...do this:
>
>	o Get CrossDos to read/write IBM floppies on existing Amiga drives.
>	o Use AMAXII to word process, etc your Mac files.
>	o Transfer them to an AmigaDOS disk with AMAXII->Amiga utility.
>	o Go to AmigaDOS and copy file to IBM disk.
>	o Find a Mac with SuperDrive and use AppleFileExchange to read the IBM
>	  disk onto the Mac HardDrive.

Can I copy programs with resource forks from Mac to A-Max using AppleFileExchange?

Does the Mac IIci have a SuperDrive? (I beleive so)

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (02/05/91)

 Consider using the program STUFFIT by ray lau
(sic), it is the equivalent of zip/lzh/etc in the
Mac world.  It'll compress the data & resource fork
into 1 file.  You obviously need StuffIt on your
AMAX mac disk, but that is fairly easily obtainable
(just download it using ZTerm or somesuch).

I personally xfer over the serial cable whatever
files i need.  At a baud rate of 115k it goes by
quite fast!  :)  You can fool around with copying
disks (couple ways to do this... stuffit, apple file
exchange, writing a msdos disk) but I think the time
saved will be, at most, 2-4 minutes per disk
transferred.

--
Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan) (02/05/91)

Whenever I try and send things between mac/amiga
via serial I get "NAK on sector" on the mac side...
What Does this mean? I am using VersaTerm on the mac
and jrcomm on the amiga.
-John

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/07/91)

In article <8807@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:

> Consider using the program STUFFIT by ray lau
>(sic), it is the equivalent of zip/lzh/etc in the
>Mac world.  It'll compress the data & resource fork
>into 1 file.  You obviously need StuffIt on your
>AMAX mac disk, but that is fairly easily obtainable
>(just download it using ZTerm or somesuch).
>
>I personally xfer over the serial cable whatever
>files i need.  At a baud rate of 115k it goes by
>quite fast!  :)  You can fool around with copying
>disks (couple ways to do this... stuffit, apple file
>exchange, writing a msdos disk) but I think the time
>saved will be, at most, 2-4 minutes per disk
>transferred.

And a save of 20 km cable, since the Mac and the Amiga isn't exactly in
the same room...

Actually, it doesn't sound too bad: Stuffit-File Exchange on IIci-MSH on Amiga-
Amiga to AMAX-unstuff it.

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb2.200848.16842@odin.corp.sgi.com> gavin@krypton.asd.sgi.com (Gavin Bell) writes:
>I have an Amiga 1000 at home, and want to word process/spreadsheet at
>home, then take the results to school to be printed on one of many
>Mac's connected to LaserWriters.
>

>Mac2Dos:              $112.00  Supra HD controller:   189.00
>800 K MacDisk:         277.00  Fujitsu 45 M Drive:    279.00

  Mailorder Mac2DOS:     90.00  AdIDE controller:      118.00
  Mailorder 800k disk:  145.00  Maxtor 45meg drive:    341.00
                        ------  Power:                  90.00 *not required
                        235.00  cables:              included
                       +389.00                     ----------
                        ------                         459.00
                        624.00

>-----------------------------  Power Supply, box:      95.00
>MacStuff               389.00  Cables:                 15.00
>Grand total (Mac+Drive)967.00  Hard Drive             578.00
>
>Are there less expensive hard drives available for the Amiga 1000?
>--
>--gavin     (gavin@sgi.com,  (415)335-1024)

The AdIDE is made by ICD. The Mac drive is made by Cutting Edge. The Maxtor
drive is made by Maxtor (I think). The power supply is anything you want.

:)
DavidTiberio SUNYStonyBrook2-3605 AMIGA TotoProductions DDDMEN