[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBM Soft-ware Emulator

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (01/22/91)

To the technical guys out there, I have a thought that I would like
verified. Based on the old Transformer program, I am guessing that
my idea is not only possible, but plausible. Correct me where I foul
it all up! My proposal... ahemm..

A SOFTWARE only based pc-emulator that (on the 3000/25) runs at an
adjustable speed at around 10 mHz or so comparible. Hard drive and
floppys supported,  as well as clock and ports. Graphics and
multi-tasking (i.e. running concurrently with AMIGADos) could come
at a later time I suppose.

The '85 Transformer ran slow, but not so slow it could not be used.
Unfortunately, since it doesn't work on my 3000 (or any '030) I can't
take advantage of the extra speed. Why isn't there another such progam
available? It seems to me that the ambitious author could re-create a
transformer type program, taking advantage of not only new hardware, but
the many new programming techniques that have developed in 5 years. I
would think that a VERY usable and VERY usefull program like this may
be quite rewarding!!

I am sure I have made some oversights, errors, and other assorted stupid
remarks, and I would like them to be endorsed, rebutted, etcc. Don't
flame me, just correct any probs and build on the idea.

Thanks,
Duane.

|Email: n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu         _ //             Duane K. Fields       |
|Fone#: (409) 847-6760            ONLY \X/ AMIGA        President, aTmiga club|

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (01/23/91)

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:

>A SOFTWARE only based pc-emulator that (on the 3000/25) runs at an
>adjustable speed at around 10 mHz or so comparible. Hard drive and
>floppys supported,  as well as clock and ports. Graphics and
>multi-tasking (i.e. running concurrently with AMIGADos) could come
>at a later time I suppose.

This was discussed to some length in c.s.a several months ago.  What initiated
the discussion was after I posted the results of a call to Insignia Solutions.
Insignia makes an IBM-AT emulator for the Mac II that is completely software.
On the original Mac II, it ran at a full 4.77 mhz with color graphics and
sound.  When I used it (about three years ago), it only had CGA graphics.
Since that time, they have introduced an EGA upgrade.  The original Mac II
only runs at 16 mhz plus has other slow-downs with memory contention (I'm not
a hardware guy, I only play one on TV).  Since the Amiga 3000 is 25 mhz, plus
has the productivity mode which is IDENTICAL to EGA, it would probably be a
lot easier to make Soft-PC (the name of the Mac product) for the Amiga.  When
I called Insignia about this, I was referred to a guy who was very helpful and
respected the Amiga systems.  He told me that their Mac product was the last
time they would ever do a software package on their own.  Usually, they are
contracted by a computer manufacturer to do a port.  Sun, Apollo, and other
workstation companies have done this.  I believe Apple gave them a big chunk
of cash to do it as well.  On top of that, most Mac ads make mention of the
fact that you can run Soft-PC to emulate an IBM, free advertising.  Anyway,
he told me that they HAVE approached Commodore about doing a port, but at
that time, Commodore was more interested in pushing the Bridgeboard.  He
suggested to me that we get on Commodore's back to dump the Bridgeboard and
engage work on a software emulator again.  Well, as the Amiga gets faster and
faster, this option is going to become more and more attractive, so I would
imagine that sometime in the future it will happen.

--

                "I'm going under the table."  - Bernard Shaw

Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (01/29/91)

Long ago, when I bought the A1000, there was a program called Amiga
Transformer that emulates a PC.  Recently, I decided I really wanted to
do certain personal accounting things for which there are good
applications written for "messy dos", but not for the Amiga.

I found my copy of Amiga Transformer, and it can indeed read 3 1/2 MSDOS
disks on the Amiga drive.  But when I start the application, I get an
error message, "Out of memory.  This program requires a minimum of
500K".

Does any know how to get Amiga Transformer to recognize expansion
memory?

Let's not have any remarks about upgrading to an A3000 with bridgeboard.
That is not a viable option until the after above problem has been
solved and I get my tax refund.

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug Dyer) (02/13/91)

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:

>n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:

>>A SOFTWARE only based pc-emulator that (on the 3000/25) runs at an
>>adjustable speed at around 10 mHz or so comparible. Hard drive and
>>floppys supported,  as well as clock and ports. Graphics and
>>multi-tasking (i.e. running concurrently with AMIGADos) could come
>>at a later time I suppose.

>only runs at 16 mhz plus has other slow-downs with memory contention (I'm not
>a hardware guy, I only play one on TV).  Since the Amiga 3000 is 25 mhz, plus
>has the productivity mode which is IDENTICAL to EGA, it would probably be a
>lot easier to make Soft-PC (the name of the Mac product) for the Amiga.

To make things even more attractive, productivity mode is at VGA resolution
(it could do monochrome VGA).  EGA is only 640*350, which is less than hires
interlaced -- and only 16 colors onscreen.  This means that all amigas could
display EGA, CGA, and monoVGA, tandy pretty easily. :)

Throw in the ULowel card... superVGA, XVGA...

--
2B|!(2B) => ?
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (02/13/91)

Speaking of productivity mode, I can't seem to use it on my Mitsubishi
DiamondScan mullti-sync... it turns dark grey, any ideas?

Duane

| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |
| Box 1315                  |    let friends use    |  Fone#   (409) 847-6760 |
| College Station, Tx 77841 |        MS-DOS.        |  n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu |