[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amiga emulation for MSDOS

ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) (02/13/91)

I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
where to get it etc. ?

Thanx,

Arent Banck.
Email : ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl
					      (Holland)
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (02/13/91)

In article <4831@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:

> I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
> Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
> where to get it etc. ?
>
> Thanx,

	I remember hearing (way back) about a development system for the PCs
used by the early (1985) Amiga programmers.  I think it was two boards that
plugged into the buss and gave the programmer a virtual Amiga replete with
custom chips, OS etc.  This system was never released because the A1000 and
the Sidecar eventually came out.

> Arent Banck.
> Email : ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl
> 					      (Holland)
> -- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --

Andy Nagy (ptoper@asterix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

In article <2240@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
>In article <4831@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl>, ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
>>
>> I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
>> Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
>> where to get it etc. ?

That was the Amiga Transformer, a rather slow and limited emulator.
Only text mode, no graphics, no sound, no harddisk. In fact, we never
sold it in Germany (officially, at least). Don't know about the current
status in US.

>	I remember hearing (way back) about a development system for the PCs
>used by the early (1985) Amiga programmers.  I think it was two boards that
>plugged into the buss and gave the programmer a virtual Amiga replete with
>custom chips, OS etc.  This system was never released because the A1000 and
>the Sidecar eventually came out.

Sorry, but I think you mix up two things here. As far as I know, there
were two cross-development systems:
1. A software-only solution on PCs with the first version of the
   Lattice compiler and special programs to transfer the result
   between the machines via the serial port.
2. A hardware interface that allowed software engineers to develop
   on their Suns and putting the result dirextly into the memory
   of an Amiga. Perhaps they also could debug the software by snooping
   into the Amiga from the Sun.

djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com (Dallas J. Hodgson) (02/14/91)

In article <2240@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:

>	I remember hearing (way back) about a development system for the PCs
>used by the early (1985) Amiga programmers.  I think it was two boards that
>plugged into the buss and gave the programmer a virtual Amiga replete with
>custom chips, OS etc.  This system was never released because the A1000 and
>the Sidecar eventually came out.

Boy, as a 1985 Amiga developer, this is the first I've heard. In the early
days there was a Lattice Amiga cross-compiler you could run on the PC, and
download executables to the Amiga over the parallel port. There was also a
cross compiler on the Sun, and a ridiculous, bulky memory add-on called the
"Chimney" which stuck on the side of an A-1000. I'm sure I would have heard
of this "PC-Amiga" if there ever was any such thing.

| Dallas J. Hodgson               |     "This here's the wattle,             |
| Metaphor Computer Systems       |      It's the emblem of our land.        |
| Mountain View, Ca.              |      You can put it in a bottle,         |
| USENET : djh@metaphor.com       |      You can hold it in your hand."      |
+============================================================================+
| "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer" |

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/14/91)

In article <4831@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:

>I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
>Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
>where to get it etc. ?
>
>Thanx,
>
>Arent Banck.
>Email : ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl
>					      (Holland)
>-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --

It's a joke.

In article <4831@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:

>I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
>Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
>where to get it etc. ?

I was told that I answered this wrong the first time.
If you have heard about Amiga emulators running on an MS-DOS PC,
then this was an April's joke of last year. Incidentally there
were two German magazines which published fake tests (different
ones) of such things. Well, cough, one of these nastily lying
crap stories was made by, err, me.

ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) (02/15/91)

In article <493@cronos.metaphor.com>, djh@neuromancer.metaphor.com
(Dallas J. Hodgson) writes:
> In article <2240@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> ptoper@obelix (Andy Nagy) writes:
> >
> >	I remember hearing (way back) about a development system for the PCs
> >used by the early (1985) Amiga programmers.  I think it was two boards that
> >plugged into the buss and gave the programmer a virtual Amiga replete with
> >custom chips, OS etc.  This system was never released because the A1000 and
> >the Sidecar eventually came out.
> >

> Boy, as a 1985 Amiga developer, this is the first I've heard. In the early
> days there was a Lattice Amiga cross-compiler you could run on the PC, and
> download executables to the Amiga over the parallel port. There was also a
> cross compiler on the Sun, and a ridiculous, bulky memory add-on called the
> "Chimney" which stuck on the side of an A-1000. I'm sure I would have heard
> of this "PC-Amiga" if there ever was any such thing.

	I may be totally wrong (I should have better qualified my response),
I was using very foggy memory cells when typing that.  Maybe what you describe
was what I was actually thinking about.  Thou I am very sure that there was a
reference to a PC board that did have the custom chips on it.

	Sorry for any confusion.

+============================================================================+
> | "The views I express are my own, and not necessarily those of my
employer" |

Andy Nagy (ptoper@asterix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca)
The University of Western Ontario, London, Canada
 "Dee do do do, dee da da da, thats all I want to say to you" -- The Police

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (02/15/91)

Following up on a previous note thread regarding IBM emulators, and
updates for AmigaTransformer, Duane Fields sent me the following:

> The archives are the c.s.a archives at 128.155.23.64.
> I put the utils there in /incoming/amiga/EMULATORS/TransUtils.lzh

I have been able to sucessfully execute TurboTax under emulation on my
A1000 with 2 Meg total memory. It seems a little wierd to see an Amiga
with green lettes on a black background; and it is slooow; but what the
heck, it works!

Thanks Duane and everyone who sent files to him. I should point out that
this is a fix for AmigaTransformer which is not included in the package.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (02/16/91)

In article <894@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY)
writes:
> I was told that I answered this wrong the first time.
> If you have heard about Amiga emulators running on an MS-DOS PC,
> then this was an April's joke of last year. Incidentally there
> were two German magazines which published fake tests (different
> ones) of such things. Well, cough, one of these nastily lying
> crap stories was made by, err, me.

        Well, a couple of years ago a British C64 mag called "ZZapp 64"
(mostly about games) did even better on it's April issue: They wrote about
the prototype of an Amiga emulator card made by a Norvegian company,
showing a picture of the thing plugged on the back of a C64 showing
workbench hand....

          Believe it or not, some people believed it for some times !

                JNM
--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/21/91)

There was indeed in 1985 a IBM-PC based Amiga emulator.  It was used
by Electronic Arts to develop Amiga software because they couldn't get
enough Amiga hardware to test on.  I beliee it is mentioned in an
article about Electronic Arts in the Premiere Issue of AmigaWorld.  I
will attempt to locate the reference and post it to the net.

There was also a PC based Lattice cross-compiler, and a Sun-based
cross compiler.  The original Amiga developer's kit included both the
native and cross versions of the Lattice compiler, as well as
utilities for downloading binaries from a Sun (in case you didn't have
the interface board).  It also included the MCC Assembler, ALINK,
Grand-WACK, and a complete set of manuals (for v1.0, of course).

A bunch of us were students at GWU and ordered (as a group; we each
had an amiga, and we each pitched in for the $500 developer's kit) the
developer's kit.  When we couldn't write a diskcopy-like program after
a week of trying, we did the only logical thing: formed a user's
group (we never did get the disk copy code to work, but we eventually
got RJ to come and speak to one of our meetings).  :)

Amiga Nostalgia from ...
                          ... Wildstar

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/21/91)

Ah-HA!  I found the reference (pg 58 of the AmigaWorld Premiere
Issue):

"Riker [EA's Greg Riker, Manager of Technology] credits much of their
progress to the development of something he calls an "artist's
workstation", a combination of hardware, software and peripherals that
allows the programmer to develop Amiga software on an IBM PC or
compatible.

"There are several versions of the EA workstation.  The basic unit is
an IBM PC with a hard disk, 640K of RAM, a proprietary plug-in card,
special software, a graphics card and a high-resolution monitor.
According to Riker, the systems are worth between $4000 and $9000.

Amiga nostalgia from ...
                          ... Wildstar

PS: Ads from that issue: how many of these products have you seen?
Tecmar: TModem (300/1200 baud) TDisk (20Mb) TTape (Tape Backup) and
        TCard (1Mb RAM).  I believe that the TCard and TDisk were
        actually shipped for a short time before Tecmar quit the
        Amiga market.
Mindscape: Keyboard Kadet and The Halley Project
Electronic Arts: Lots of stuff that eventually became products
                 (although Return to Atlantis took quite a while).
Tardis Software: MaxiCalc, MaxiWord, MaxiGraph, MaxiTerm, MaxiNet,
                 MaxiShare, and Maximillian.
Borland  International: Turbo Pascal (promised for 1st Q 1986).
Everyware: Musicraft and related products (including a Midi).
Arktronics: Textcraft.
Commodore: Amiga 1000
CW Communications: AmigaWorld
The Software Group: Enable (an integrated application)
Chang Labs: Rags to Riches
Cherry Lane Technologies: Harmony
Innovative Technologies: Easel (a disk holder)
Manx Software: Aztec C 68k/Am
Metacomco: ABasic, ISO Pascal, Cambridge Lisp, Macro Assembler, Linker
ImageSet: Digital Color Separations
The 64 Store: An Amiga Store
Borderbund: Print Shop
Aegis: Amiga Draw
The Lisp Company: TLC-Logo
Icon Review: Direct Marketing of Amiga Products
Island Graphics: Custom Software Development

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (02/23/91)

In article <4831@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl (Arent Banck) writes:
}
}I heard of the existence of an AMIGA emulator for the IBM-compatibles.
}Does anybody know if such an emulator exists, and if it exists how it works,
}where to get it etc. ?
}
}Thanx,
}
}Arent Banck.
}Email : ajbanck@cs.ruu.nl
}					      (Holland)
}-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --

Amiga emulator for the IBM-Compatables??!?
....snicker....giggle...guffaw...AH
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

.....sniffle....Sorry! Couldn't help myself...snicker.....wheeze....

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (02/24/91)

m0154@tnc.UUCP writes:

>There was indeed in 1985 a IBM-PC based Amiga emulator.

No, there wasn't.  There was a fancy debugger, which tied into an Amiga
but allowed development and control to take place on an IBM PC system.
In no way was it an Amiga emulator.

>There was also a PC based Lattice cross-compiler

True - but this isn't an emulator, either.

>and a Sun-based cross compiler.

This was the Greenhills compiler, a very nice compiler.  Even so, this
wasn't an Amiga emulator either - just a facility for developing on
another platform, since native development on the early Amiga was an
exercise in *extreme* frustration.

| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |

In article <1991Feb26.122709.10312@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cadp16@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <5236@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:

>But does anybody know of any programs for the PC that will read amiga disks?

It is impossible for most, if not all, PCs, to read standard-format Amiga
disks.  The floppy controllers they use just can't deal with unsectored
formats.  That's why MS-DOS formatted disks are used for interchange; they're
the only thing that PCs, Amigas, Mac IIs, Suns, etc. can all read.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

In article <1991Feb26.122709.10312@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cadp16@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:

>Allright, I know it sounds mad to have an Amiga emulator on a PC...
>
>But does anybody know of any programs for the PC that will read amiga disks?

Nothing known.

>Does anyone know if it physically possible,

This is the point: it isn't.

tope@enea.se (03/02/91)

In article <19333@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.122709.10312@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cadp16@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
>>In article <5236@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) writes:
>
>>But does anybody know of any programs for the PC that will read amiga disks?
>
>It is impossible for most, if not all, PCs, to read standard-format Amiga
>disks.  The floppy controllers they use just can't deal with unsectored
>formats.  That's why MS-DOS formatted disks are used for interchange; they're
>the only thing that PCs, Amigas, Mac IIs, Suns, etc. can all read.
>

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

How about the possibility for a Mac with superdrive to read/write
AMAX disks? Is it possible?

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se <----