[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Atari Emulator?

dgick@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (damian gick) (02/22/91)

Is there a p/d Atari Emulator out there for the Amiga? If so, is it availible
on ftp someplace?

Thanks!

Damian J. Gick   |  Please send any mail to:      | "...And keep on
IU @ South Bend  |                                |  thinking free!"
CSCI Undergrad   |  dgick@sbway.iusb.indiana.edu  |     --The Moody Blues

kc2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kathryn Aileen Coonrod) (03/06/91)

Just a little note to you guys over there in Amiga land from over here i
Atari land. Atari ST emulation is ILLEGAL, and is way way uncool. The
chips necessary are proprietary, and must be pirated. Use at your own
risk. (It is the same as the amiga emulator for the ST, which requires
bootleg Denises and Garys, and other wacky stuff)

rjc@pogo.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (03/06/91)

 Sorry to tell you, but ATARI EMULATION is not illegal. What is illegal
is distributing copies of TOS/GEM. Most of the commercial emulators
require for to own an ST already, so you can say the ROM's from your
ST and use them in the emulator, or to purchase the TOS roms from
an Atari dealer.

  What is this Amiga emulator your talking about? Sounds like vaporware
to me. Just consider what's needed, OS Roms, Agnus, Denise and Paula
chip, along with the support circuitry and ram to support them.
This isn't an emulator, it's an Amiga. The only ST emulator I can
imagine is an ENTIRE Amiga motherboard on a card plugged into
what? Does the ST have an expansion slot?

  Nevertheless, this would cost more then the ST or the Amiga itself
to implement.

The Amiga is one of the only computer that defies to be emulated.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (03/06/91)

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 03:15:36 GMT

In article <8bp40OK00WAu0HgWpI@andrew.cmu.edu> kc2e+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Kathryn Aileen Coonrod) writes:
> Just a little note to you guys over there in Amiga land from over here i
> Atari land. Atari ST emulation is ILLEGAL, and is way way uncool. The
> chips necessary are proprietary, and must be pirated. Use at your own
> risk. (It is the same as the amiga emulator for the ST, which requires
> bootleg Denises and Garys, and other wacky stuff)

     Wrong, Atari ST emulation is _not_ illegal ! It's just copying the
ROMs in a file an distributing the file which is illegal. As long as you
buy the ROM chips from Atari (which is the only thing you *really* need),
it is legal to run ST software on the Amiga. And it's the same for all the
computers.... You should know that, there's been Mac emulators for the ST
even before we had Mac emulation on the Amiga.

        If it was illegal to emulate a computer, IBM would be really rich
now (the ROMs in a PC clone are compatible with the original IBM BIOS, but
they're different. That's why you can run BASICA only on a true IBM, and
you have to run GWBASIC on all the clones, BASICA does some illegal calls
to the IBM original ROMs, and this doesn't work on different ROMs. Anyway
the ROMs on an IBM are awfully small).

           Oh ! And the same thing applies for Amiga emulation, if you buy
genuine chips (anyway, you can dump a ROM in a file and then load the file
in RAM, but it's kinda hard to do the same thing for Denise ou Paula
((((-:), it's legal.

            JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)