[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] AmaxIII

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/06/91)

Say, someone told me some things about AmaxIII that I would like to verify.  I
was told that the Amax folks (I think its Ready Soft) are working on AmaxIII andit will support color and the new Mac system 7 operating system.  They are also
writing thier own roms so that Amax users will not have to buy Mac roms which
Apple has (suspiciously) restricted the sale of.

Could anyone verify the above claims or has anyone heard the same rumors?

                             Thanks,

                                                NCW

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (03/06/91)

Let me fix this article:

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (03/06/91)

From article <1991Mar06.043427.8823@ariel.unm.edu>, by nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham):

>support color and the new Mac system 7 operating system.  They are also
> writing thier own roms so that Amax users will not have to buy Mac roms which
> Apple has (suspiciously) restricted the sale of.

I think that the only way that one could make roms that work would be to
reverse-engineer them, and that would be a no-no.  And I can see certain color
modes, like maybe 4 bit mode.  But definitely NOT 8 bit.  Unless, of course,
they add support for a real-time 24bit graphics card, or put out their own...

> Could anyone verify the above claims or has anyone heard the same rumors?

Nope, haven't heard 'em.

ANOTHER thing I would like to know.  What the hell ever happened to AmaxIIplus?
Disk drive support, sound support, serial and paralell ports.... I'd die for it
if it were out.  Now what's holding 'em up?  It was due quite a few months ago.
They even pictured it in the ads in AmigaWorld, I believe...

Also, what speed increases are there when using a 3000/25 mhz system with AMAX?
Numbers, please, I'd like to know percent increases compared to a stock plus.
And it wouldn't be bad if you could compare it to a IIcx/ci/fx.
						Greg
--
gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu | Amigas, Amigas everywhere, but not a one can think.
----Gregory R Block---- | Where's an AI when you need one?

pashdown@javelin.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (03/07/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

>They are also
>writing thier own roms so that Amax users will not have to buy Mac roms which
>Apple has (suspiciously) restricted the sale of.

They don't need to write their own ROMs, someone else already has.  NuTech has
cloned the Mac ROMs from the ground-level up.  They've got everything the
real Apple ROMs have, including 32 bit color.  They also are clear of Apple's
'look & feel' for they licensed their windowing system from Motif, which I
would prefer to use over Finder anyway.

This would mean Readysoft could license (NuTech is more than willing to do
this) the ROMs and sell them in a complete package for use on the Amiga.  Now
all we need on the Amiga is 32 bit color to match the Mac.  Otherwise, I'll
be waiting for the clones to come marching in.
--

  "This special edition of The Gulf War will continue after these messages."
                                                                    -ABC

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (03/07/91)

 Just a slight correction; the company that has
cloned the Mac Roms is called "Nutek", not nutech.
There is some info in the latest Byte (and sewall's
vaporware).  Sounds like an interesting chip, I
suspect by the years end we may have Mac clones...
shades of AmiBios!

--
Parik Rao, University of California Santa Barbara
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/07/91)

	WOW.  That is some rumor!  It seems like it's worth a call to Canada
	just to find out!

	-Mike-

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/08/91)

	I called Readysoft today and they had nothing to say except
	they would be interested in Mac color and system 7 support, but
	they had no official comments to make one way or the other....

	rats.

	-Mike-