[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Using AmigaDOS & UNIX

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/01/91)

Can one run both AmigaDOS and UNIX simultaneously on the A3000UX?
                                         Herb

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (03/05/91)

> Can one run both AmigaDOS and UNIX simultaneously on the A3000UX?

No. Unix takes over the machine. It needs full control over the MMU, and
uses approx. 1.5Megs for the OS&Display, etc. (I have 2.5 Megs left after
Unix is started, and I have 5 Megs in my 3000...)

Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown         The Insider HST/V32 0662177923
	   //       |  UUCP: cbmvax!cbmger!inside!garry  Fido: 2:243/43.999
	  //        |        garry@fulmin.rhoen.sub.org  Garry@DGIHRZ01.BITNET
	\X/         |  Zerberus: SYSOP@INSIDER.ZER

--
   SYSOP @ INSIDER    --    Fresh fish for D/L at 06621-77923 HST/V32bis

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/05/91)

In article <9103031733.39.11@SYSOP> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:

>> Can one run both AmigaDOS and UNIX simultaneously on the A3000UX?
>
>No. Unix takes over the machine. It needs full control over the MMU, and
>uses approx. 1.5Megs for the OS&Display, etc.
>
>Amiga - What else ? |  Garry Glendown         The Insider HST/V32 0662177923

I understand that; however, how can I transfer that "neat" pgm.zoo file
which I just downloaded to the UNIX side of the hard drive to the Amiga
side of the hard drive? On my 'old fashioned' system I would simply use
a modem and z-modem protocol to get it to the Amiga. Does my question
make sense? Do I need a second Amiga to accomplish this? Sorry if I'm
appearing dense, but I really do not understand how to do this with a
3000UX machine. Many thanks for any help.

                                    Herb

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar5.123116.8063@sarah.albany.edu- hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
-In article <9103031733.39.11@SYSOP> sysop@insider.zer.sub.org writes:
->
->
-
-I understand that; however, how can I transfer that "neat" pgm.zoo file
-which I just downloaded to the UNIX side of the hard drive to the Amiga
-side of the hard drive? On my 'old fashioned' system I would simply use
-a modem and z-modem protocol to get it to the Amiga. Does my question
-make sense? Do I need a second Amiga to accomplish this? Sorry if I'm
-appearing dense, but I really do not understand how to do this with a
-3000UX machine. Many thanks for any help.
-
-                                    Herb
-

There's always the ugly way of using BRU (Backup & Restore Utility) to
backup/restore from diskettes. The program exists in compatible versions
on both Unix and Amiga-DOS.

Ask Commodore about it (at least Commodore says you should ask them).

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (03/07/91)

In article <2749@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <1991Mar5.123116.8063@sarah.albany.edu- hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>-
>-I understand that; however, how can I transfer that "neat" pgm.zoo file
>-which I just downloaded to the UNIX side of the hard drive to the Amiga
>-side of the hard drive? On my 'old fashioned' system I would simply use
>-a modem and z-modem protocol to get it to the Amiga. Does my question
>-make sense? Do I need a second Amiga to accomplish this? Sorry if I'm
>-appearing dense, but I really do not understand how to do this with a
>-3000UX machine. Many thanks for any help.
>-
>-                                    Herb
>-
>
>There's always the ugly way of using BRU (Backup & Restore Utility) to
>backup/restore from diskettes. The program exists in compatible versions
>on both Unix and Amiga-DOS.
>
>Tommy Petersson
>tope@enea.se

Unfortunately that will not work because on the UNIX side it restores to
a disk which cannot be read by AmigaDOS and on the Amiga side one cannot
access the unix files.

Perhaps someone at Commodore will be kind enough to explain a solution?

                                   Herb

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany  NY  12222 (518) 442-4640

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (03/08/91)

  Per the Amiga Tech notes:

   "Use BRU and a floppy disk to transfer files"

 BRU is availible on the UNIX and Amiga sides. If you don't have BRU
contact CBM.
--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.124139.24910@sarah.albany.edu- hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
-In article <2749@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
->In article <1991Mar5.123116.8063@sarah.albany.edu- hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
->-
[...]

I can't say I tried it, but my info comes from Commodore Amiga Unix Tech
Notes. Perhaps no-one at Commodore now anything about it...

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.124139.24910@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>In article <2749@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar5.123116.8063@sarah.albany.edu- hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>>-
>>-I understand that; however, how can I transfer that "neat" pgm.zoo file
>>-which I just downloaded to the UNIX side of the hard drive to the Amiga
>>
>>There's always the ugly way of using BRU (Backup & Restore Utility) to
>>backup/restore from diskettes. The program exists in compatible versions
>>on both Unix and Amiga-DOS.
>>
>>Tommy Petersson
>>tope@enea.se
>
>Unfortunately that will not work because on the UNIX side it restores to
>a disk which cannot be read by AmigaDOS and on the Amiga side one cannot
>access the unix files.
>
>Perhaps someone at Commodore will be kind enough to explain a solution?

Why wouldn't it work ?  Unless you tell it differently,
BRU writes floppies in its own format.  You BRU the file you want to transfer to
a floppy.  Switch to the other OS.  Unbru to the target location
on your harddrive.  Maybe someday we can have a BSD filesystem
going under AmigaDOS, but this should work for the time being.

>                                   Herb

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

 "To finish the project, all we need is a derranged programmer", said Master Li.
 "It is fortunate indeed that we are blessed with an overabundance."