[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] MONITOR's NOTES on MAC ROM HACK!!!!

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (03/16/91)

Ok... its time for a statement:

MAC ROMS are 100% copayable... no kidding, no joke, its EASY!

Whoever says that they *CANNOT* be copied, is, in fact, wrong.

I'm not going to go into the semantics of explaining how
to go ABOUT doing it.. just the mere fact that it IS possible
is enough. (ahem.. this is not
		   1) suggesting you go out and do this yourself
		   2) suggesting that I did this myself nor ever intend to
		   3) suggesting you defy apple's decision to
			cut back on mac roms)

The thing to consider here is that, in this Monitor's opinion,
Apple has, in the words of someone on this topic:

"Cut their nose off to save their face..."

Whoever said that, was 100% correct... the reason being is the fact
that Apple has now forced us to find people upgrading and willing
to toss their ROMS... instead of buying them...

This also means, that since they *ARE* 100% copayable and workable
that it's kinda like... ok... you can take our fun away
but we've got the means of producing it ourselves...

If Apple wants to play dirty, its unfortunate that Apple's going
to have to deal with the fact that finding people with thir
copied ROMS is almost 100% UNtraceable...

Really, guys... Apple ROMS are 100% copayable...

Topic II about mac roms - the Amax and Amax II hack.

	Amax is a fun toy.. we all know that...

	Amax plugs into the disk drive port for TWO reasons... not
	the serial port, not the parallel port.. the DISK DRIVE PORT.

	This about this... the reason they did this was to take the roms
	that are in that cart. LOAD them into ram just like a floppy
	would, and then never use them again until the next time
	AMAX is called from the Amiga side.

	This was good for piraters but not good for Apple or Readysoft.
        Some slick pirater out there came out with some really nice
	coding that, in effect put the ROMS directly into some
	hacked AMAX code.. meaning which.. instead of routing
	the program to load the ROMS off the Cart. in the floppy
	port.. to load the IMAGE of ROMS off the DISK!

	The reason that you dont have to keep putting that disk
	in over and over again to get some ROM image is
	the fact that the ENTIRE image is loaded into ram on CALLUP.

	This is why we dont see 100% of memory being used. 128k is
	used for rom, and a little more is used for the AMAX. Bingo.

	Readysoft didnt really think when they made this that it would
	be THAT easy to hack ROMS onto the disk... thats why they
	put it on the FLOPPY port. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
	cheap to BUILD your own damn AMAX if ya wanted...

	The only thing an amax does is pass the register up by one
	and interface the apple's drive to the amiga re-routing
	the pins... and a couppla logic chips to facilitate it...

	Thants all...

	If Readysoft knew of the posibility of this, they would have
	made 1/2 diskdrive and 1/2 serial, as it would have been harder
	to hack code makiing it think its reading DISK code
	off the SERIAL port...

	So... that's where we stand in the MAC wars...

	III. Amax II+ (there is no AMAX III)

	Lets get our terminology straight.
		1) Amax - or AMAX I... this was the 1st release of
the Mac + emulator for the Amiga.. it worked and it was good.
		2) Amax II - this was the 2.0 release of the same
thing.. it used the same rom, the same everything, except it
supported hard drives, sound, and screen updates are a little quicker.
		3) Amax II+ - **NOT RElEASED YET* but, when i called
readysoft they told me by end of April and for about $500 US... UG! This
thing is good .. really good... and it uses MAC ROMS, too.. It's a board
for >2000 machines that makes your Amiga Drives READ/WRITE Apple
variable speed disks.. ie: the same disks your macloser friends can read..
and you dont need your apple 800k drive anymore... Also supported is
ethernet connections, MIDI compatability and AppleTalk networking. Really sweet.

THERE IS NO AMAX III.. Dont ever even say AMAX III or you'll look like
an idiot :-)

If people want me to post an article describing how to get AMAX II
working on their HD, then let me know.. i'd be more than happy
to show people ways of formatting their drives and things,
as to be sure that that wierd partition does not come up
on bootup of your amiga side.. mine doesnt.. hehe..

So... I hope this clears up questions about the latest MAC things.. and

	Also, guys, for future reference, please please please please..
	use this group when it comes to EMULATION or anything related
	to it.... We need the support, and this group is really quite
	awesome!

Monitor of Comp.sys.amiga.emulations...
 -jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (03/16/91)

In article <16670@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:

           put it on the FLOPPY port. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
           cheap to BUILD your own damn AMAX if ya wanted...  The only
           thing an amax does is pass the register up by one and
           interface the apple's drive to the amiga re-routing the
           pins... and a couppla logic chips to facilitate it...

actually, I've seen AMAX-I totally in software.  Makes it a little
difficult to, for instance, read Mac disks as there's no way to put a
Mac drive on it, but I hear it's even faster in loading the ROMs....
I couldn't tell you if they've hacked out AMAX-II on disk yet.

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt (ftp) Crowd) (03/16/91)

In article <+D*=S=}@rpi.edu> kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>In article <16670@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>
>           put it on the FLOPPY port. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
>           cheap to BUILD your own damn AMAX if ya wanted...  The only
>           thing an amax does is pass the register up by one and
>           interface the apple's drive to the amiga re-routing the
>           pins... and a couppla logic chips to facilitate it...
>
>actually, I've seen AMAX-I totally in software.  Makes it a little
>difficult to, for instance, read Mac disks as there's no way to put a
>Mac drive on it, but I hear it's even faster in loading the ROMs....
>I couldn't tell you if they've hacked out AMAX-II on disk yet.

Sources tell me that there is a Disk based version of the A-Max II,
ALSO a hardware hack which does not contain the ROMS, obviously, and
only costs a few bucks to make, that you can plug the drive into.

Disclaimer : It has completely skipped my mind as to who gave me this
	     information.

matt.