[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] For Sale: Mac software on Amax format disks

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca ( magundi ) (03/16/91)

For sale

10 disks of Mac Software in Amax format
Many utilities, cdevs, inits, applications, games
and also system 6.0.5 disks.

$20

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.175201.8811@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (   magundi  ) writes:
>For sale
>
>10 disks of Mac Software in Amax format
>Many utilities, cdevs, inits, applications, games
>and also system 6.0.5 disks.
>
>$20

As Monitor of this group, I cannot allow you to sell this.. especially
on my board.. for instance, the system 6.0.5 is illegal to sell
mah friend, and I am asking you polietely to cancel this
article at once, and I urge all of you NOT to buy any software
that *IS* infact already IN amax format.

This is illegal besides immoral.

I cannot condone it, and I will not have it. Please cancel your
article.

Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations
 -jeremy

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (03/17/91)

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a "monitor" of a
newsgroup?

Is c.s.a.emulations moderated? (I thought it wasn't, but
let me check onmy copy of the ballot).
 OR

Escape, Where's Escape? Goddamn It! I need escape -a student looking
for the escape key at the student computer center at UCSD

watters@arc.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/17/91)

In article <16676@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>In article 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (   magundi  ) writes:
>>For sale
>>
>>10 disks of Mac Software in Amax format
>>Many utilities, cdevs, inits, applications, games
>>and also system 6.0.5 disks.

>As Monitor of this group, I cannot allow you to sell this.. especially
>on my board.. for instance, the system 6.0.5 is illegal to sell
>mah friend, and I am asking you polietely to cancel this
>article at once, and I urge all of you NOT to buy any software
>that *IS* infact already IN amax format.
>This is illegal besides immoral.
>
>I cannot condone it, and I will not have it. Please cancel your
>article.

While it is wrong to sell a copy of Apple's system disk (amax format is a copy)
It is usually NOT wrong to sell a disk containing PD, FreeWare, ShareWare, and
misc. data in Amax format for some media fee and copying fee.
This totally depends on the copyright notice of the software contained on the
amax format disk and most say there will be no fee accessed except media
cost and a small copying fee. 9 disk at about $3 a disk is $27, so I think
his $20 price can be considered a small copying fee.

I do not believe it is the monitors job to play mommy, and say things like
"I know how to get rid of the Amax_II disk icon on WorkBench." and then NOT
tell anyone. Or "I will not have this.."

I do believe this original article belonged in comp.sys.amiga.marketplace.

ps.  Who's newgroup (board) is this????? :-\

-Dave
-=-
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH
David watters@cis.ohio-state.edu  "It's 12:35... and Michigan STILL sucks."
_-_-_-__---_---_---__-_-_-____ TurboExpress : The Neo*Geo of portables _____

macdona@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (magundi ( John A A MacDonald )) (03/18/91)

In article <16676@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.175201.8811@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (   magundi  ) writes:
>>For sale
>>
>>10 disks of Mac Software in Amax format
>>Many utilities, cdevs, inits, applications, games
>>and also system 6.0.5 disks.
>>
>>$20
>

>As Monitor of this group, I cannot allow you to sell this.. especially
>on my board.. for instance, the system 6.0.5 is illegal to sell
>mah friend, and I am asking you polietely to cancel this
>article at once, and I urge all of you NOT to buy any software
>that *IS* infact already IN amax format.

Why NOT??   Not  ANY software?

>This is illegal besides immoral.

IS IT???  Illegal?  Immoral??    read on.

>I cannot condone it, and I will not have it. Please cancel your
>article.

nope
But I will modify it.

four of the disks were the MAC system disks,
The other 6 are Public Domain programs.  Nothing illegal in selling
PD software at least.  Certainly nothing immoral about selling
PD software in AMAX format.  I am charging a very low copying fee
for the PD software.

As far as even using the MAC software on the Amiga it is illegal,
at least as far as Apple is concerned.
The possible exception being that you own a MAC and you have transfered
the ROM's into AMAX and use it to run MAC programs instead of your MAC.

extracted from my Macintosh System Software User's Guide.

This manual and the software described in it are copyrighted, with all
rights reserved.  Under the copyright laws, this manual or the software
may not be copied, in whole or part, without written consent of Apple,
except in the normal use of the software or to make a backup copy of
the software.  The same proprietary and copyright notices must be
affixed to any permitted copies as were affixed to the original.  This
exception does not allow copies to be made for others, whether or not
sold, but all of the material purchased ( with all backup copies )
may be sold, given, or loaned to another person.  Under the law,
copying includes translating into another language or format.

You may use the software on any computer owned by you, but extra copies
cannot be made for this purpose.

Sounds to me like having anything about Amax in a newsgroup is condoning
illegal activity.  Because unless you own a Mac, having the system
software is pirating software from APPLE.

I strongly suggest that we all stopping talking about AMAX because
we are condoning piracy.

But seriously,  at almost any Apple dealer you can take some disks and
get copies of the MAC system software for free.  They do have the right
to ask you for your original system disks to verify that you do have
the right to the software.  The dealer also has the right to charge a
nominal copying fee.  This fee does not go to APPLE.  The latest system
software is also available for anonymous FTP, though you need a real MAC
to use APPLES equivalent of WARP.  I have tried and running AMAX I could
un BINHEX, and UNSTUFF the files, but could every time I used apples
diskcopy program to put the software on disk, it crashed or hung.  Besides
6.0.7 which is available on APPLE.COM doesn't like AMAX.

By offering disks in AMAX format I am just trying to make it easy for
people who do not have a MAC DRIVE connected up to AMAX.  All the
software that I am offering is available via FTP.  But unless you
already have the programs I am offering ( communications, archival )
you will not be able to get the programs onto AMAX.  I am not going
to make much money,  I buy new MAXELL disks for $15 + 15% tax, and
a couple of dollars to ship the disks.

john macdonald

4225_5105@hydra.uwo.ca

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (03/19/91)

In a previous message,
macdona@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (magundi ( John A A MacDonald )) says:

>                                                        The latest system
>software is also available for anonymous FTP, though you need a real MAC
>to use APPLES equivalent of WARP.  I have tried and running AMAX I could
>un BINHEX, and UNSTUFF the files, but could every time I used apples
>diskcopy program to put the software on disk, it crashed or hung.  Besides
>6.0.7 which is available on APPLE.COM doesn't like AMAX.

Does every AMAX owner have this problem?  There *is* another way to access
the files on those "disks" on apple.com.

Check the FTP archives at SUMEX (sumex-aim.stanford.edu or 36.44.0.6) in
the directory /info-mac/cdev.  You'll find an INIT/cdev called "MountImage".
Put it in your System Folder and reboot, and you'll be able to use the
Control Panel to "mount" the image files as if they were real disks.
You can then format other floppies with the same names as the "disk" images,
and copy the files from the images to the real floppies.

I don't see how this should fail.  But then, I'm a Mac owner, not an
AMAX owner; I'm just trying to help.

 -- Dave Zinkin

--
David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

"If we dream it, it can be done." -- Bob Anastas, founder of SADD

macdona@obelix.gaul.csd.uwo.ca (magundi ( John A A MacDonald )) (03/19/91)

In article <17617@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs166wbq@sdcc8.ucsd.edu writes:
>In article <17571@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>>Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a "monitor" of a
>>newsgroup?
>>
>>Is c.s.a.emulations moderated? (I thought it wasn't, but
>>let me check onmy copy of the ballot).
>

>Some clown crowns himself as the "monitor" of this group.  You can
>just as well ignore him.

Hee hee hee hee hee  :-)