[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Mac emulation

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (03/21/91)

In article <8628@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
> In article <1991Mar19.020929.14769@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
> *#>What is to prevent someone from dumping them to EPROM and using that instead?
>
> *> Nothing, in a strictly physical sense.	You wouldn't want to get caught
> *> doing it, of course.
>
>>Oh yeah, like Apple is going to call the police to harrass potential pirates.
>>Somehow I don't think that would be good PR for Apple.
>
> You obviously don't know much about Apple.  They have a long standing
> history of attacking ANYBODY who does anything that smells of a
> violation of their property rights.  Notably, they've attacked
> Franklin for emulating their Apple II's a few years back.  They
> attacked Microsoft in an extremely unpopular (and stupid, and
> arrogant, IMHO) move because their Windows software too closely
> resembles the Macintosh interface.  There are other incidents, too.
> They wouldn't flinch at raising a huge stink and suing someone
> personally.  They have to do something with all those lawyers.

The funniest one was when they tried to force the Beatles company Apple
to pay them rights. Well it turns out that  Steve and Steve *licenced*
the company name FROM the Beatles *on the agreement that the computers
would NEVER be used for music production/recording/distribution*.

The record company not only successfully defended its rights to the
name but counter sued on a number of points including failure to
pay licence fees.

Apple settled for mega bucks (like more than 10 and less than 100 million).

Regards Alan