[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] AMAX Memory & Comm problem

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (03/20/91)

I have both AMAX I and AMAX II but I can only get AMAX I to upload stuff
to my UNIX account.  With AMAX II, I get errors even with a 2k file.  Is
there a bug with the transfer utility?

I can't seem to get MS EXCEL 1.5 to run either.  I have 3 megs on my
A2000 but the finder compained that there is "not enough memory".

Help!

GLin

Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (03/21/91)

> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1457@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>
>
> Org.  : CSEE Dept. Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
> Person: George Lin [900116]
>
> I have both AMAX I and AMAX II but I can only get AMAX I to upload stuff
> to my UNIX account.  With AMAX II, I get errors even with a 2k file. Is
> there a bug with the transfer utility?
>
> I can't seem to get MS EXCEL 1.5 to run either.  I have 3 megs on my
> A2000 but the finder compained that there is "not enough memory".
>
> Help!
>
> GLin

Try setting different memory parameters. I have AMAXII-HD and I can run
Excel2.2 without any problems.

Raman

* "I believe in a God which doesn't need heavy financing.", Fletch *
* Raman Anand                                                      *
* CIS: 73767,2161                                                  *
* USENET: 73767.2161@compuserve.com or Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP   *
*               VANCOUVER, BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA              *
*           (604) 591-5344 (Home) - (604) 522-1137 (Work)          *

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (03/23/91)

MS Excel 1.5 and earlier will ignore any memory above 1 megabyte
installed in the Mac.  Microsoft just assumed that no one would
ever have a Mac with >1 MB.

The only solutions I know of are to remove INITs and CDEVs if you
have a lot of them installed, or to upgrade to Excel 2.2, which
can work with up to 4 MB on a Plus.

(Since I'm a Mac user and not an AMAX user, I can't say whether or
not changing the memory parameters would help.)

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

"If we dream it, it can be done." -- Bob Anastas, founder of SADD

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (03/24/91)

In article <1457@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) writes:
>I can't seem to get MS EXCEL 1.5 to run either.  I have 3 megs on my
>A2000 but the finder compained that there is "not enough memory".

Try to run it using no expansion memory!!!

watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.151201.10972@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:

>MS Excel 1.5 and earlier will ignore any memory above 1 megabyte
>installed in the Mac.  Microsoft just assumed that no one would
>ever have a Mac with >1 MB.

You think they would learn!  Isn't this what happened with MSdos (64K)?

Dave

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH