[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBeM on the 3000

dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) (03/02/91)

Has anyone gotten the IBeM program to run on the 3000.  When I try it,
it just exits back to the cli after a short delay.  I allocates about a
meg of fast ram, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  My configuration is A3000 25/50
with 2 meg chip and 4 meg fast.

*                             |                                         *
* Gabe Dalbec                 |    >screw you                           *
* Univ. or Calif. Davis       |    Unknown command "screw"              *
* Computer Science Engr.      |    >_                                   *
* dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu   |                                         *
*                             |                                         *

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (03/02/91)

I had the same problem at first, you MUST have an IBM MS_Dos disk in drive
A: (drive df0:) before running. Apparently it checks for that first thing.

To answer previous queries, YES it is color text and graphics. Turbo C
came up with the familiar blue/white persona, complete with clever ANSI
pull down windows =)

Duane

| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |
| Box 1315                  |    let friends use    |  Fone#   (409) 847-6760 |
| College Station, Tx 77841 |        MS-DOS.        |  n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu |

prf@otter.hpl.hp.com (Paul Freeman) (03/05/91)

What is IBeM? And where does it come from?

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (03/06/91)

     Will this program (which I have) work with the mfm.device that comes
with CrossDos?  I've tried to set it up that way... but when I run ibem I
get a black screen for a moment, then I get dumped back to the CLI... no
disk checking at all.
     If anybody has gotten this (seemingly) awesome program to work on an A3000
please post your Mountlist entry and what all else you had to do to get it to
run.  Thanks!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/08/91)

I can't get IBeM to work, either.  My system is a 2000 with GVP 68030.
I have a "mount A:" always and I've tried it with and without the
"mount IBMA:" but so far IBeM eats a hefty chunk of Fast RAM and
immediately exits without an exit code.  No screen comes up.  No
floppy access.
	With both A: and IBMA: I can read/write the floppy in df0:
without problems, so I know that the mountlist entry is ok (I've
extended it a bit from the example, but have not altered any of the
given entries).  The mountlist has IBMA: but no IBMC: -- does this
make a difference? (I want to test this thing on floppy first before
reorganizing my harddisk).

IBeM sounds really nice, but I'm frustrated that I can't get it to
work and have to reboot a lot, trying.  Help!

I have over 850K Chip and some 3.5M Fast RAM available.  My system is
NTSC with overscan (704x235 WB), Rev 6.2 MotherBoard.

All and any help appreciated!!

 ._.  Udo Schuermann		And now for something completely different:
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu	An Iraqi dictator without his underpants.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (03/09/91)

[]
I have used ibem with CrossDOS and MSH, Crossdos is much better, since
it is compatible with the A3000 & 2.0 OS.  Basically I used the same
moutlist entry as came with CrossDOS, just changed the name
to IBMA: from DI0:.  IN any case, Make sure you have a bootable MS
DOS disk in the IBMA: drive BEFORE running IBEM, and it should work.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) (03/09/91)

>I can't get IBeM to work, either.  My system is a 2000 with GVP 68030.
>All and any help appreciated!!
>
> ._.  Udo Schuermann		And now for something completely different:
> ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu	An Iraqi dictator without his underpants.

I had the same problem.  What I ended up doing was making a substitute
mountlist file called "mountibem" and using newzap to change IBeM to
read from that file (a simple search and replace).  It seems that IBeM
has to have it's mountlist be the only thing in the mountlist.  (At
least this worked for me).  If you want to try it out, save a backup of
your mountlist then make one that has nothing but IBMA: in it (also,
you don't have to mount it yourself).  If this works, rename the
mountlist and use newzap to change the filename within IBeM.

-gabe
dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/10/91)

In article <8513@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) writes:
>I had the same problem.  What I ended up doing was making a substitute
>mountlist file called "mountibem" and using newzap to change IBeM to
>read from that file (a simple search and replace).  It seems that IBeM
>has to have it's mountlist be the only thing in the mountlist.
>
>-gabe
>dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu

I've tried that and at first I rejoiced because the Screen came up,
the disk started reading and then --- it exited with code 10. |-(

Could the DOS version have anything to do with it?  Anybody out there
who got it running with genuine IBM PC-DOS 3.30 ?  Could a different
DOS (an MS-DOS) have more success?

pochron@rt8.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar10.035812.2280@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:

>I've tried that and at first I rejoiced because the Screen came up,
>the disk started reading and then --- it exited with code 10. |-(
>
>Could the DOS version have anything to do with it?  Anybody out there
>who got it running with genuine IBM PC-DOS 3.30 ?  Could a different
>DOS (an MS-DOS) have more success?

As I posted a few days ago, this sort of happened with me - I was using
a Toshiba MS-DOS v3.20, and the program just goes to sleep after reading
the boot sector on the DOS disk.

So far I have had no luck in getting any father with it.  It looks as
if it needs 3.5 or greater to run!

--

       -- David M. Pochron   | "Life's a blit,
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu |

hamilton@intersil.uucp (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar10.035812.2280@wam.umd.edu>, walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
> Could the DOS version have anything to do with it?  Anybody out there
> who got it running with genuine IBM PC-DOS 3.30 ?  Could a different
> DOS (an MS-DOS) have more success?

I've run IBeM successfully on my 3000 under 2.0.  I used DOS 4.01 and tried
a few rudimentary (text-based) programs and it ran fine.

It did crash out of Norton's SI, and another Speed-check program, probably
out of embarassment :-).  (Just kidding-IBeM is a great accomplishment
far beyond my abilities).
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (03/14/91)

[]
If you ran MSH 1.3 on an A3000 under 2.0, you must not be formatting,
writing and really excersising it.  While it does work to read SOM
areas of the disk, it is quite unstable and not 2.0 compatible.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

timg@cbmtor.uucp (Tim Grantham) (03/27/91)

I have also successfully run IBEM on my A3000 under both 1.3 and 2.0. However,
the author does not explicitly state that the mountlist must contain the
device description for only ONE boot device, i.e. either IBMA: or IBMC:, but
not both. My thanks to Tom Metcalfe for this discovery.

Tim.