[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] A-Max Compendium

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/26/91)

I am putting the finishing touches on my personal list of
frequently asked A-Max questions.  Below is a list of the
topics/questions it covers.  If you have any to add, please
e-mail me or reply here to c.s.a.e soon.  The resulting
list will be posted here later this week.  Thanks!

Topics covered:
--------------
  Overview of A-Max
  Theory (or How The Heck Did They Get Mac Software To Run On
             An Amiga?)
  How Compatible Is A-Max?
  What Is Needed In Addition To The Basic A-Max Package?
  What Else Can I Add To A-Max?
  What Are The Differences Between The Macintosh ROM Versions?
    Is ReadySoft Planning A Version To Use The Newer ROMs?
  Will A-Max MultiTask With The Amiga?  (Why Not?)
  What Macintosh System Versions Work With A-Max?
  What's This I Hear About Apple Cutting Off The Supply Of Mac ROMs?
  Are There Alternatives To Using Apple's ROMs?
  Are There Legal Alternatives To Using Apple's ROMs?  ;-)
    (An article about NuTek is included in this section)
  Can A-Max Read Mac Disks?  Do I Really Need To Buy A Mac Drive?
  What Is A-Max II+?
  What Methods Can I Use To Transfer Files To And From A-Max?
  Can I Use A Hard Drive With A-Max?  What Controllers Are Supported?
  Can I Use A Modem With A-Max?
  Should I Buy An Actual Mac or A-Max?  What Are The Costs/Benefits?
  How Much Of The Amiga's Memory Can Be Used With A-Max?
  What Video Modes Can A-Max Use?
  What Printing Options Are Available From A-Max?
  What Do All These Accessories Cost?
  How Fast Is A-Max Compared To An Actual Mac?
  What Are The Differences Between The Original A-Max and A-Max II?
  Why You Should Upgrade To A-Max II if You Own A-Max
  What Problems Were Corrected With Version 2.06 of A-Max II?
  Where Can I Obtain Public Domain Software?
  About ReadySoft

Some things I need help with:

 1) Some new driver software has come out recently for various
    hard drive controllers.  Can someone e-mail me info on them?
    ie: What controllers are now supported in addition to the ones
    listed in my A-Max II booklet?
 2) In the speed comparison section, I include a table comparing
    the speed of A-Max II on an A3000/25/50 to a Mac IIci, IIcx,
    and a Mac+.  This table was obtained from the net, but I'm
    afraid I don't know who posted it.  If you posted it or know
    who did, let me know so I can give you credit!   :-)

Thanks in advance!  I hope this effort will help answer the
questions many are asking about A-Max.   :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (03/27/91)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>I am putting the finishing touches on my personal list of
>frequently asked A-Max questions.  Below is a list of the
>topics/questions it covers.  If you have any to add, please
>e-mail me or reply here to c.s.a.e soon.  The resulting
>list will be posted here later this week.  Thanks!
>--
>|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

Way to go - frequent asked Qs about AMax!
I've posted my difficult questions some months ago, but nobody could give me
any answers, a lot of replies are that they wanted to know too. So here they
are again:

1. MacPrint or JetLink Express, the commercial printer drivers for various
   non-QuickDraw (non Mac type) printers including HP Deskjet series and
the Laserjet series,etc.
	a. Do they work on AMaxII? how well? on a real Mac, you have to
connect to the serial port since there are no parallel ports. Does it
perform ok on the parallel port ? (the ImageWriter emulations on AMax can be
sent to either, as I remember)

2. If answer to the above is yes, then does Adobe Type Manager work fine on
these set up? I know on c.s.mac , someone reported it worked well on a real
Mac, with MacPrint and ATM. (especially the ATM 2.0, or other fonts software
works this way).

My system is A3000/25/50, AMaxII w/ 800K FD (20MB HD partition), HP Deskjet
Plus printer. 1M chip and 1M fast, but going to get 4M more sooner / later.

I think this is important - since the Imagewriter emulations on AMaxII still
has a problem, and not all Amiga users have Epson compatible printers which
AMax only supports in IW emulations, so the alternative for getting a specific
printer just for AMax , an overkill, is to find out how well those printer
drivers work. (unless you got a Postscript printer, but does it go thru the
serial port, or need Appletalk?)

Another good but less essential topic for the list would be:
How to transfer a Postscript file saved in Mac/AMax environment to Amiga
(using the AMax transfer utilities software, obviously), and print it on
the Amiga side, using Pixelscript (or any postscript to non-postscript
printing converter) , to a non-postscript printer (e.g. Deskjet or Epson, etc)?

The essence of my question is: how do you edit the resource fork and
the data fork on a mac file when you transfer over the file?
Is the file transfer program in AMaxII sufficient in doing this?

good luck,
thanks a lot,
David

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (03/28/91)

What a good idea!

Maybe someone should work on a FAQL for *all* the emulators.  Or at least
the popular ones.

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so