[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Problems with XT Bridgeboard on a 2000

tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) (03/26/91)

I recently inherited a 2000 from company surplus and am trying to get an XT
Bridgeboard to work in it.  I have obtained and installed the 3.6.1 BIOS and
the 2.0 PCInstall.  Workbench is at Version 1.3.  There are two 3 1/2 drives
on the Amiga side and one 5 1/4 on the PC side.  After modifying the Workbench
disk to pick up all of the default PCInstall files, I reboot the machine and
attempt to run the Bboard from the PCMono icon (J1 set to mono).  The dialog
box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.  This also happens when I
try to operate the board from the PCInstall disk.  In the 5 1/4 drive I used a
standard MS-DOS 3.3 boot floppy, and also a DOS 2.0 with the Janus files JDISK
AMOUSE etc. in a Janus subdirectory.

Some specific questions:

1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard? (I know that the PC
Install program comes with three 5 1/4 floppies, one for MS-DOS, one for
supplemental MS-DOS and GWBASIC, and one for the Janus files.  Since a new
version is about to be released, 2.0 is not stocked, and I copied only the
Janus disk, believing that the others were vanilla.)

2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
PC floppy?  They appeared to pertain only to the mouse, hard drive, and file
transfer.  If so, do they need to be in the root or in a subdirectory?

3.  The READ ME on the PCInstall suggested that a Library problem could
actually be a hardware failure.  I would like to rule out software
configuration problems before I go through the hassle of sending out the card.
The board is at least accessing the floppy drive, but it sounds as though the
disk is being spun with few reads being done, as though it's looking for a
missing file.  The only jumper block not explained in the manual (I have the
2088 user's guide that came with the board, but nothing for PCInstall 2.0) is
J7, which has no pins jumpered together.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tony Matt    tonym@clearpoint.com

In article <11485@cpoint.clearpoint.com> tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:
>I recently inherited a 2000 from company surplus and am trying to get an XT
>Bridgeboard to work in it.
>  The dialog
>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.
>
>1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
>MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard?

Can't tell really, because  I always used the original disks. But besides
the keymaps there should be no special files?

>2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
>PC floppy?  They appeared to pertain only to the mouse, hard drive, and file
>transfer.  If so, do they need to be in the root or in a subdirectory?

They are not needed for boot. Your observations are correct. Those files
may stay in their JANUS subdirectory. Though, if you invoke any driver
(like JDISK.SYS) in your CONFIG.SYS, then that file must naturally be
available at boot time.

>3.  The READ ME on the PCInstall suggested that a Library problem could
>actually be a hardware failure.  I would like to rule out software
>configuration problems before I go through the hassle of sending out the card.
>The board is at least accessing the floppy drive, but it sounds as though the
>disk is being spun with few reads being done, as though it's looking for a
>missing file.

One hardware problem you can always run into with any bridgeboard are
contact problems, especially with all those socketed ICs. It's a good
idea to take the whole board out, look at every chip closely and take
it out and reseat it, if it doesn't sit straight in its socket. Finally
you should press every IC firmly into its socket. Then properly reseat
the board. (Repeat procedure two or three times when not successfull,
only after that look for bigger trouble.)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (03/26/91)

     I have a 2500/2286 at home, and we have another at work.  Sometimes the
"library not found" error occurs on either one.  I've found that if I do a
STATUS and check whether PCDisk is running I know whether it's going to happen.
If PCDisk didn't start up, any attempt to get to the bridge board will fail.
Even if you try to explicitly RUN PCDisk it won't come up.  The only solution
is to re-boot and hope it works this time.  I've included a STATUS (actually
ps, I'm using Matt's shell) in my startup-sequence so I know whether I should
reboot.  If I had the time I'd write a program that would do the check and
reboot if necessary.  Sometimes it's necessary to reboot two or three times,
but eventually it'll come up.

     Some people have suggested inserting delays in the startup-sequence to
give things time to stabilize.  I experimented with this, but got no consistent
results aside from slower reboots.

     I've come to accept the whole thing as one of those minor irritants that I
must learn to live with.  Fortunately, if I manage to get it up once, it'll
stay up as long as the machine has power.  I've heard rumours of a new set of
PALs that's supposed to currect the problem, but my dealer's heard nothing but
"Real Soon Now..." for the past year and can't dig up any more on it.  Sigh...

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

kent@vf.jsc.nasa.gov (03/27/91)

>>  The dialog
>>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.

Is this an Amiga message ?  or a ms-dos message.  If its on the amiga side,
you need to have a janus file in the expansion dir.  If the expansion dir
is empty on your amiga dos boot disk.  The bridge board will get no further
when you try to run PC color, PC mono and so forth.  Sorry I cannot remember
the name of the file to place in the expansion dir, I am sure someone else will
remember it off the top of their head.

- Mike

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (03/27/91)

In <11485@cpoint.clearpoint.com> tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:

>I recently inherited a 2000 from company surplus and am trying to get an XT
>Bridgeboard to work in it.

You may only have 7.5 Mbytes of expansion, not including the BB.  If you
have an 8Mb expansion board, like the A2058, it needs to be configured to
6Mbytes to make room for the BB interface areas.  Also, if you have the
original BB Amiga disk, try write-protecting it, then booting it.  There's
a "readme" file on it, too.  ( read the rest of the message later )

>1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
>MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard?

Generic MS-DOS, which is why you get the GWBasic, instaed of the PC version.

>2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
>PC floppy?

NO!  You only need those to copy files to/from Amiga filesystems to BB file
systems, and to get the time/date.

>3.  The READ ME on the PCInstall suggested that a Library problem could
>actually be a hardware failure.

I had an infant failure on my A2088.  I isolated it by removing all other
expansion cards, including my A2630, then booting from the PCInstall Disk
(write-protected).  It is true that a hardware failure will give the
"No Library" response.  I believe the A2088 has been discontinued (but
I'd NEVER buy an A2286.  An A2386 for $600, yes.), so you may have someone's
old returned board.  If it's still under warranty, don't delay too long in
isolating the problem.

Your board should be jumpered OK.

My A2088 runs O.K., now, but I'm not as thrilled with 2.0 PCColor.  It
sometimes gets confused about where to display the screen, and cuts off
the bottom of the PC display. (it also has TERRIBLE colors for the window,
and pushing the window is a ROYAL pain).  This is running on an A2500/30,
with a PC filesystem on one hard drive, along with all of the relevant
Janus tools.

Best of luck,
Dan Taylor

kpjeacle@unix1.tcd.ie (Karl Jeacle) (03/27/91)

In <11485@cpoint.clearpoint.com> tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:

>attempt to run the Bboard from the PCMono icon (J1 set to mono).  The dialog
>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.  This also happens when I
>try to operate the board from the PCInstall disk.  In the 5 1/4 drive I used a

This started happening to me last week, after I gave the bridgeboard a
bit of a knock when trying to get the 2000 case back on...
The bridgeboard should _always_ work with the PCInstall disk.
Unfortunately, I reckon it's a hardware problem - if it's something
simple, be sure to let us know - I want to get mine running again!

>1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
>MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard? (I know that the PC

Yep, any normal ms-dos boot disk will do the job - you don't need any
special bridgeboard stuff to get it up and running.

>2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
>PC floppy?  They appeared to pertain only to the mouse, hard drive, and file
>transfer.  If so, do they need to be in the root or in a subdirectory?

AMouse/AWrite/ARead etc are all just extra utils which you can use to
make life easier with the bridgeboard. They can be anywhere in your
path, they don't need their own subdir, and you don't need them to boot.

--
--//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
\X/   Fido: Karl.Jeacle @ 2:253/151                      kpjeacle@vax1.tcd.ie

Ingo.Wilken@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Ingo Wilken) (03/28/91)

tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:
>attempt to run the Bboard from the PCMono icon (J1 set to mono).  The dialog
>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.  This also happens when I

This usually happens when you try to open a PC-display without running
'binddrivers' (to mount the PC board and load the necessary libraries into
the Amiga's memory) first.  Be sure 'binddrivers' gets executed in your
startup-sequence, or write a small 'MountPC'-script which runs 'binddrivers'.
Also check if the janus.library and janus.libray.info are in the expansion
directory.

>1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
>MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard? (I know that the PC

Yes, it's standard MS-DOS.

>2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
>PC floppy?  They appeared to pertain only to the mouse, hard drive, and file
>transfer.  If so, do they need to be in the root or in a subdirectory?

The Janus files are only needed for file transfer PC <-> Amiga, using the
Amiga mouse on the PC or creating virtual drives or a pseudo-Harddisk for
the PC on the Amiga side. The PC can boot just fine without these from
floppy or an own harddisk.

>missing file.  The only jumper block not explained in the manual (I have the
>2088 user's guide that came with the board, but nothing for PCInstall 2.0) is
>J7, which has no pins jumpered together.

I'm not sure, but this could be the jumper where you can connect a loudspeaker
to the PC.

>Tony Matt    tonym@clearpoint.com

Ingo

--
Ingo Wilken, CS Student, Univ. of Oldenburg, W-Germany
wilken@uniol.uucp (..!uunet!unido!uniol!wilken) * IRC-Nick: Nobody    //

tonym@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Tony Matt) (03/28/91)

Thanks for your respnses to my BB problem - unfortunately, it still doesn't
work...
>Is this an Amiga message or an MS-DOS message?
Amiga, I believe, since I never get to any PC window.  The title on the box is
actually 'System request'; the text is 'Couldn't Find Library'.

>you need to have a janus file in the expansion dir.

Janus.Library and Janus.Library.info are in that directory.

>You may only have 7.5 Mbytes of expansion, not including the BB.  If you
>have an 8Mb expansion board, like the A2058, it needs to be configured to
>6Mbytes to make room for the BB interface areas.  Also, if you have the
>original BB Amiga disk, try write-protecting it, then booting it.  There's
>a "readme" file on it, too.

The memory expansion card is populated with only 6Mb, Free Memory reported is
under 7Mb.  Removing the memory card gives the same results.  I've tried using
the copy of PCInstall 2.0 as boot; no difference.  Checked through README
again, and confirmed that the files listed are present.

Thanks again for your help.  It looks like a hardware problem, unless there is
something I'm still overlooking.  I'll send it in in a few days...

Tony Matt    tonym@clearpoint.com

brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) (03/28/91)

In article <11485@cpoint.clearpoint.com> tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:

 .... (abridged)

>Bridgeboard to work in it.  I have obtained and installed the 3.6.1 BIOS and
>the 2.0 PCInstall.  Workbench is at Version 1.3.  There are two 3 1/2 drives
>on the Amiga side and one 5 1/4 on the PC side.  After modifying the Workbench
>disk to pick up all of the default PCInstall files, I reboot the machine and
>attempt to run the Bboard from the PCMono icon (J1 set to mono).  The dialog
>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.

*Wonderful* , informative diagnostic, innit?

It should say:
  "ACHTUNG!  YOUR SHITTY COMMODORE IC SOCKETS ARE CORRODED AGAIN!"

>Some specific questions:
>
>1.  Is it true that the Bridgeboard should boot off of a standard version of
>MS-DOS, or is there a specific flavor for the Bridgeboard? (I know that the PC

Yes, it should boot from a standard MS-DOS disk.

>2.  Are the Janus files on the PC side needed to boot the Bridgeboard from the
>PC floppy?

No.

>They appeared to pertain only to the mouse, hard drive, and file
>transfer.

Correct.

>  If so, do they need to be in the root or in a subdirectory?

No, just somewhere that you (or your autoexec.bat) can invoke 'em from.

>3.  The READ ME on the PCInstall suggested that a Library problem could
>actually be a hardware failure.

Could be-ee.  Is the atomic weight of carbon 12.011?

>I would like to rule out software
>configuration problems before I go through the hassle of sending out the card.

I need to use my Bridgeboard infrequently enough that I opt for opening up
the case, yanking out the Bridgeboard, prising up all the socketed ICs on
it (I still haven't figured out which one is the problem, and maybe it's
ALL of them), and re-seating them.  It helps if you continuously chant
imprecations to the cosmic powers, imploring them to visit horrible plagues
on whoever specified the Bridgeboard's sockets.  On my last episode,
I didn't have to pull the Bridge out at all; I just bent it back & forth
in the card cage to about a 1/4" displacement in the center, and presto!
two more weeks of operation!

Note: so far as I can tell, Commodore wasn't ABLE to find bad sockets
for the VLSI packages, so you don't need to re-seat them.

Brian Rhodefer

In article <1660@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian E Rhodefer) writes:

>  "ACHTUNG!  YOUR (deleted) COMMODORE IC SOCKETS ARE CORRODED AGAIN!"

>I need to use my Bridgeboard infrequently enough that I opt for opening up
>the case, yanking out the Bridgeboard, prising up all the socketed ICs on
>it (I still haven't figured out which one is the problem, and maybe it's
>ALL of them), and re-seating them.  It helps if you continuously chant
>imprecations to the cosmic powers, imploring them to visit horrible plagues
>on whoever specified the Bridgeboard's sockets.

>Brian Rhodefer

Bingo!  I pulled and reinstalled all of the DIPs and reseated the PLCCs, and
it's been reliably booting since (no chants were required).  I was a little
surprised, since the sockets were tight and there wasn't any visible corrosion.
If it becomes a chronic problem, I'll consider retrofitting the board with
more reliable sockets.

Thanks to all who responded - I appreciate the fact that this group is patient
with, and helpful to, a novice user.  If only the local dealer were as useful.

Tony Matt

"If my memory serves me right, this must be tonym@clearpoint.com"

In article <11507@cpoint.clearpoint.com> tonym@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Tony Matt) writes:
>>you need to have a janus file in the expansion dir.
>
>Janus.Library and Janus.Library.info are in that directory.

One thing that comes to my mind: Do you have a startup-sequence during
that control is passed to another drive (say, e.g. you boot from floppy
and then pass control to a non-autoboot HD)? Then it's essential to
have all these PC files duplicated on both the boot and the later-used
drive. During the BB boot process, it searches for several files, but
this happens over several tens of seconds. This has bitten others
already.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (03/31/91)

tonym@cpoint (Tony Matt) writes:

>box "Can't find Library" comes up for each attempt.  This also happens when I

This is most likely a hardware problem.  Make sure your cable from your
Bridgeboard to your floppy drive is in good shape.  You might also have
a less-than-ideal solder job on your BB.  I had to touch up every solder
joint on my BB to keep this 'library' requester from popping up every
time I shut my machine off.

Also, make sure your janus library has an icon in the expansion drawer.
This is required.  I don't know if this would also cause the requester
problem, but I understand the icon MUST exist (I've never tried w/o it).

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu