[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Post 1.5 problems

oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk) (03/18/91)

I recently acquired Post 1.5 (a PostScript interpreter library &
accompanying programs) from ab20.etc.etc, and have installed and run it for
several days now, mostly successfully...  However, I am having a few
problems with it, that perhaps another person out there can either (a)
validate with their own experiences, thus letting me know that it might be a
legitimate bug that will be fixed in Post 1.6 (or later), or (b) tell me
what I'm doing wrong, or (c) tell me I'm just imagining the problem, and
that if I click my heels 3 times and say "There's no place like
Westchester", then everything will change from color back to black & white
and I'll be fine again...

Okay, so here's my list:

1.  Since I didn't have any PS fonts when I got this program, I was able to
		export a bunch from my PC at work, where I have Corel Draw under Windows
		(okay, no sour faces now :-).  There is a program under Corel Draw
		called WFNBOSS, which will do a number of font conversions, and it
		allows its outline fonts (with DOS extension of .WFN) to be converted to
		Adobe Type 1 fonts.  If I run the program with one of the supplied
		fonts, it will create the .PFB, .PFM, and .AFM files, of which I copy
		the .PFB to a 3.5" disk, and read that disk on my Amiga with
		CrossDOS.  The problem I encounter is when I attempt to use that font, I
		get an error message referring to "eexec" (sorry, I didn't write down
		the exact error message, but it's easily reproducable).  I tried this
		with a number of fonts that I had converted, and they all seem to give
		the same error message.  As a "by the way", I was able to download some
		fonts via a FTP site, and those .PFB files worked just fine!

2.  I have been using the postlj program to print my documents to my DeskJet
		500 printer, and I've been getting an extra blank sheet of paper between
		each printed page.  I'm using the "-s0" flag for "standard" letter size
		paper (the doc file seems to be in error; it says that -s0 is for legal
		and -s1 is for letter, but the messages displayed when the program runs,
		and the source code, seem to indicate otherwise).  I looked at the
		source code to see if there was something that I could fix & recompile,
		but I don't have Lattice C (I have Manx 5.0), so I couldn't fix it
		anyways, without all kinds of compiler-specific stuff to be revamped.
		So, the question is, is there another command switch I need to specify
		to avoid this paper "waste"? (yes, I know that the paper isn't really
		"wasted", since I could always put the sheets back in the printer tray,
		but they get a little warped after passing through the printer once,
		even if there's no printing on them.)

3.	After getting and printing samples of several fonts, I noticed that some
		of the letters in some of the fonts are filled in in spots (i.e., the
		loops or circles in lowercase "d").  Looking at a sample for the font in
		question from a brochure, this ain't supposed to be happening!  I have
		printed this font in a couple of point sizes, and it seems to happen in
		both of them.  My question is, would this be a "bug" in the font, or in
		the post.library?  For reference, I am using the post.library.2620
		(renamed, of course) on my Amiga 2500/30 under Workbench 1.3.2.  I've
		got a total of 5 meg of RAM (1 meg CHIP, 2 meg FAST, 2 meg 32-bit on the
		2630 card).  I haven't tried switching back to the non-FPU library yet,
		but I'll try anything soon!

4.  I've also gotten a few "unrecognized commands" while attempting to print
		a number of .ps files I've acquired; one of these was "setjobtimeout",
		which was near the beginning of a file; another was "letter".  After
		looking them up in the Adobe Red Book (a somewhat old copy, BTW), I put
		a couple of stubs in my init.ps and got the programs to interpret, but I
		was wondering if my "programs" were correct (the one for setjobtimeout I
		just made do a "pop", and the letter was a null program, just {})

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, corrections, etc.  Oh, and
while you're at it, I'd appreciate knowing about any ftp sites with lots of
PS fonts (besides cica.cica.indiana.edu, which has quite a few)

	- Mike
--
  - Mike Shawaluk (oovvoo@mixcom.com)       "It is a good day to live."

avi@chinet.chi.il.us (Avi Schwartz) (03/20/91)

In article <388@mixcom.COM> oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>I recently acquired Post 1.5 (a PostScript interpreter library &
>accompanying programs) from ab20.etc.etc, and have installed and run it for
>several days now, mostly successfully...  However, I am having a few
>problems with it, that perhaps another person out there can either (a)

>    (Text deleted)
>
>1.  Since I didn't have any PS fonts when I got this program, I was able to
>		export a bunch from my PC at work, where I have Corel Draw under Windows
>		(okay, no sour faces now :-).  There is a program under Corel Draw
>		called WFNBOSS, which will do a number of font conversions, and it
>		allows its outline fonts (with DOS extension of .WFN) to be converted to
>		Adobe Type 1 fonts.  If I run the program with one of the supplied
>		fonts, it will create the .PFB, .PFM, and .AFM files, of which I copy
>		the .PFB to a 3.5" disk, and read that disk on my Amiga with
>		CrossDOS.  The problem I encounter is when I attempt to use that font, I
>		get an error message referring to "eexec" (sorry, I didn't write down
>		the exact error message, but it's easily reproducable).  I tried this
>		with a number of fonts that I had converted, and they all seem to give
>		the same error message.  As a "by the way", I was able to download some
>		fonts via a FTP site, and those .PFB files worked just fine!

There is a know problem (i.e. BUG) in Corel's font conversion utility. Even
though they advertise it will convert fonts to Adobe's type 1 fonts, it doesn't
really work.  Corel acknowledged they have a problem but I didn't hear yet
about a solution.

-- Avi
     _          o                          avi@chinet.chi.il.us
   /  )/      _           Avi              GEnie mail - A.SCHWARTZ
 /   /   /|  / |       Schwartz            Compu$erve - 71350,2006

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (03/30/91)

From article <388@mixcom.COM>, by oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk):
> I recently acquired Post 1.5 (a PostScript interpreter library &
> 		CrossDOS.  The problem I encounter is when I attempt to use that font, I
> 		get an error message referring to "eexec" (sorry, I didn't write down
> 		the exact error message, but it's easily reproducable).  I tried this
> 		with a number of fonts that I had converted, and they all seem to give
> 		the same error message.  As a "by the way", I was able to download some
> 		fonts via a FTP site, and those .PFB files worked just fine!

I too have noticed this "eexec" problem, with fonts that work fine
on a NeXT.

Also, I aquired a file called warbird.PS (I believe it was from
ab20.larc.nasa.gov somewhere, look in FILES.Z).  This is a rendering of
the Romulan Warbird from Star Trek the Next Generation.  It also works
fine on the NeXT, but apparently causes an infinite loop in Post 1.3-1.5.
I've never tried an earlier version of post with it.  It is necessary to
reboot to get out of it, Post just locks up.

I've also noticed that Post uses horrible colors (very bad contrast)
for the file requester when in color mode.

Otherwise, I like this program very much, but am disturbed by these
annoying problems with the eexec and the lockup.

I hope the author can be made aware of them and fix them.

Sorry about crossposting this, but I am trying to attract the author's
attention, if he has usenet access.
--
VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (03/31/91)

 In a previous article, dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) writes:
>From article <388@mixcom.COM>, by oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk):
>> I recently acquired Post 1.5 (a PostScript interpreter library &
>> CrossDOS.  The problem I encounter is when I attempt to use that font, I
>> get an error message referring to "eexec" (sorry, I didn't write down
>> the exact error message, but it's easily reproducable).  I tried this
>> with a number of fonts that I had converted, and they all seem to give
>> the same error message.  As a "by the way", I was able to download some
>> fonts via a FTP site, and those .PFB files worked just fine!
>
>I too have noticed this "eexec" problem, with fonts that work fine
>on a NeXT.
>
>Also, I aquired a file called warbird.PS (I believe it was from
>ab20.larc.nasa.gov somewhere, look in FILES.Z).  It also works
>fine on the NeXT, but apparently causes an infinite loop in Post 1.3-1.5.
>I've never tried an earlier version of post with it.  It is necessary to
>reboot to get out of it, Post just locks up.
>
>I like this program very much, but am disturbed by these
>annoying problems with the eexec and the lockup.
>
>I hope the author can be made aware of them and fix them.

There is a BBS in Palo Alto, Calif. Where the author of Post calls into.
He lives in England, and I'm not sure if he has Usenet access.  If you
send me DETAILED explainations of what is going wrong with the latest version
of Post (must be the latest, I doubt he is trying to support superceded
versions), I'll cross post on that BBS system for you and let you know if
I get an answer.  You might also try posting to the PostScript newsgroup
for an answer to your problem, or at least a forwarding address for the
author.

If you want to try this method, please try and focus the problem on the
smallest size of PostScript file that is causing the problems.  I don't
want to try and have the author modem a 300 Kbyte file across half the
world and find out that it was something silly in the first three lines of
the PostScript.  He pays the phone bill.

>VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
>Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil
>uucp:     dave@unislc.uucp or use the Path: line.

   -dave

--