[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] A-Max II v2.06 is here!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/21/91)

Today in my mailbox I found an envelope from ReadySoft containing
a single disk, upon which was the newest version of A-Max II; the
long-awaited 2.06.  Many of you will be happy to find that this
version corrects at least two major bugs discussed in this news
group.  Quoting from the README file on the disk:

"Amigas with > 8 Mb RAM:
 Version 2.06 functions correctly with large RAM A3000s. The maximum
 selectable Mac system size is 8Mb; the maximum addressable by A-Max
 is 12 Mb.  So if, for example, you have an A3000 with 16 Mb 32-bit
 RAM, and 1 Mb chip RAM (sic), A-Max will at most use 8Mb of 32-bit
 for Mac system memory, 192K of 32-bit for A-Max code, 128K chip RAM
 for A-Max use, and approximately 3.5 Mb 32-bit for the RAM disk.  Of
 course these numbers only apply to the MMU memory mode."

Another problem fixed in 2.06 (as told me by Ray at ReadySoft and now
confirmed by my own testing) is a bug that corrupted printouts to a
LaserJet printer using 3rd party printer drivers.  Now that this is
fixed, it opens the door to A-Max owners who would like to use
inexpensive non-Postscript laser printers and still obtain high-
quality output.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (03/29/91)

In article <91079.200319JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Today in my mailbox I found an envelope from ReadySoft containing
>a single disk, upon which was the newest version of A-Max II; the
>long-awaited 2.06.  Many of you will be happy to find that this
>version corrects at least two major bugs discussed in this news
>group.  Quoting from the README file on the disk:

Did you get this without asking?   Should we all just be waiting for this?
Or am I going to have to go thru the same old process again of shipping
disks, making phonecalls, or whatever else is required to get the update.

-scott

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (03/29/91)

In article <1174@applix.com> scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:

> Did you get this without asking?   Should we all just be waiting for this?
> Or am I going to have to go thru the same old process again of shipping
> disks, making phonecalls, or whatever else is required to get the update.
>
> -scott

Well, I called ReadySoft today and asked if they were shipping the
upgrade to all the registered users.  They said no, so I asked to have
it sent to me.  They said no problem, it will be out today.

I am sure glad that I read the net, otherwise I would never have known
about the update.

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "But maybe it's not too late...You can still cheat the hands
\X/  Andrews |  of fate...Just roll the dice and play the game... - Wendy O

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/29/91)

>(asking whether 2.06 of A-Max II is being sent to all users)

No, it is not being sent to all users.  Not all users need the
upgrade.  Those that do are:

Owners of Amigas with > 8 Megs of RAM
or
Owners who have had problems printing

These are the ONLY two changes to the software; A-Max now will
use up to 12 Megs of RAM if you have it, and it will now no longer
corrupt output to DeskJet/LaserJet/BubbleJet/InkJet printers.

I guess ReadySoft is assuming that if you had a problem with one
of these, you would have called them by now and gotten on the list.

If you are not on the list, call them at (416) 731-4175 and ask to
be put on it.

davidc@contact.uucp (Ice Weasle) (03/31/91)

In article <91087.222644JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>No, it is not being sent to all users.  Not all users need the
>upgrade.  Those that do are:

*** BEEEP! ***

Nope... There are more changes than that...

Since the introduction of Hard Drive support, they've failed to keep
with proscribed standards put forth by Commodore in regards to
Physical naming of devices. (eg. they use AMAX: instead of AX0:)  A
lot of controllers can not have such a large name. They fixed this.
It's now AX0:, AX1:, etc...

Comspec Controllers are now supported.

Silicon Peace's EXTAM-688 is now supported.

and a few bugs were removed also...

I'd say it's a bit faster from what I've seen too... Well worth
upgrading if you ask me...

Dave
--
Dave Carlton (davidc@ziebmef.mef.org!white.toronto.edu)
"There's more than one way to skin a cat", Lydia thought, as she

In article <1991Mar31.014242.1079@contact.uucp> davidc@contact.UUCP (Ice Weasle) writes:
>In article <91087.222644JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>No, it is not being sent to all users.  Not all users need the
>>upgrade.  Those that do are:
>
>*** BEEEP! ***
>
>Nope... There are more changes than that...
>
>Since the introduction of Hard Drive support, they've failed to keep
>with proscribed standards put forth by Commodore in regards to
>Physical naming of devices. (eg. they use AMAX: instead of AX0:)  A
>lot of controllers can not have such a large name. They fixed this.
>It's now AX0:, AX1:, etc...

	Somehow I doubt that! The A3000s come with a partition
called WORK:, and that is both the logical and physical name.
There is no dh0:, etc.

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar31.014242.1079@contact.uucp>, davidc@contact.uucp (Ice
Weasle) says:

>In article <91087.222644JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)      :
>writes
>>No, (2.06) is not being sent to all users.

This part is true.  The next sentence I screwed up becuase
ReadySoft didn't see fit to update their README file properly:

>>Not all users need the upgrade.  (stuff about RAM and Printing)
>
>*** BEEEP! ***
>
>Nope... There are more changes than that...
>
>Since the introduction of Hard Drive support, they've failed to keep
>with proscribed standards put forth by Commodore in regards to
>Physical naming of devices. (eg. they use AMAX: instead of AX0:)  A
>lot of controllers can not have such a large name. They fixed this.
>It's now AX0:, AX1:, etc...

2.06 still works fine with my AMAX: partition, so maybe we should
modify this to say it will now ALSO work with AX0:, AX1:, etc.

>Comspec Controllers are now supported.
>Silicon Peace's EXTAM-688 is now supported.

I asked about info on these a week ago...  Thanks

>and a few bugs were removed also...

What are they?  I mean, in addition to the RAM bug and the Printing bug?
Again, the ONLY thing added to the README file is about the RAM bug.
ReadySoft needs to do some more work in documentation...

>I'd say it's a bit faster from what I've seen too... Well worth
>upgrading if you ask me...

Every time there is an upgrade, people claim it is a bit faster than
the previous one.  I've never noticed any speed increase.  If A-Max
actually sped up each time the amount people thought it did, we'd have
Mac II speed on an unaccelerated Amiga by now...