[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Quirky A-Max II

Doug Bischoff <DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/28/91)

     Okay folks, gimme an opinion.

     When I first power on my Amiga for the session, I can run A-Max II just
fine.  But if I've had the computer on for oh, say, 20 minutes or more, and I
try to run A-Max II, I get a "cartridge start error" thing.  No exceptions.
     So I turn off the computer and turn it back on.
     No Dice.
     So I turn it off and let it sit for a half hour with a fan blowing on the
back.  Turn it back on and run A-Max II.
     No Problem.

     What do ya think?  Bad ROM chips?  Flaky cartridge?  What?

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (04/02/91)

	Sounds like it could be the ROM chips....   A solution for this would
	be to copy the ROM images to disk... and have AMAX read them off
	disk instead.  I have never done this, btu if you've read this group
	much then you know that it has been done... :-)

	Mike

timg@cbmtor.uucp (Tim Grantham) (04/08/91)

In article <91087.150624DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     Okay folks, gimme an opinion.
>
>     When I first power on my Amiga for the session, I can run A-Max II just
>fine.  But if I've had the computer on for oh, say, 20 minutes or more, and I
>try to run A-Max II, I get a "cartridge start error" thing.  No exceptions.
>     So I turn off the computer and turn it back on.
>     No Dice.
>     So I turn it off and let it sit for a half hour with a fan blowing on the
>back.  Turn it back on and run A-Max II.
>     No Problem.
>
>     What do ya think?  Bad ROM chips?  Flaky cartridge?  What?

I would check your CIA chips, the 8520s. Try switching them and see what hap-
pens. Try attaching your A-Max cartridge to another Amiga and see if the
problem persists -- if not, then something's wrong with your Amiga.

I had to do all this when my A-MaxII suddenly stopped working with a ``can't
find cartridge ROMs'' error. After finding that they worked fine on another
machine, I switched the CIA chips in my machine. The problem disappeared. So
I bought a new CIA chips and now it's fine. The wierd thing was that my
external floppy drives, both the Mac compatible and the Amiga 5.25" drive
attached to the ROM cartridge, always worked just fine.

Tim.