[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Lameboy doesn't work?!?!?

UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU (04/04/91)

How did you get tetris to run?  I lode the 'TETRIS' file, and all I get is
garbage on the screen. (of the lameboy that is!).  Is the TETRIS file suppossed
to be only about 2k???? I did also set a large stack.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

--------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
              |             --Multitasking on the IBM and Mac, the BIG LIE!
 Eric Glanz   |       ///           Only Amiga makes it possible.
University of |      ///
 Wisconsin-   |  \\\///     UCSEDG@UCS.UWPLATT.EDU        (Internet)
 Platteville  |   \XX/      UCSEDG@UWPLATT.BITNET         (Bitnet)

--------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
     "When civilization falls in it's grave, technology throws in the dirt"

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/04/91)

UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU writes:

>How did you get tetris to run?  I lode the 'TETRIS' file, and all I get is
>garbage on the screen. (of the lameboy that is!).  Is the TETRIS file suppossed
>to be only about 2k???? I did also set a large stack.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!

Well i got about 6+ people asking ME how  got it to work!

Well from what i can tell ya DON'T need a 1 MEG of CHIP.. (I DOn't have that much)

But ya doo need a LOT of chip to run the Program.
It took up all byt 30K of chip when i ran it..

i set stack to 120000 (A little large)
did a 1>Gameboy

The thing loaded...

Then did a "load"

loaded TERTIS

(The GB screen was "garbled")
then i clicked on PLAY..

Worked fine,,,, BUT SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

My SYSTEM.

A500, 68010 CPU, 3.5 meg memory. Normal chips.

:^)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) (04/04/91)

When you load tetris, you do get a screen full of garbage, but you then must
choose START (or run or whatever its called) to actually play the game.

Jon
--
| Jonathan Potter  |                             | Life is like a piece of   |
| P.O. Box 289     | jpotter@itd.adelaide.edu.au |   spinach...              |

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/05/91)

From article <967705B7849F000CAC@ucs.uwplatt.edu>, by UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU:
> How did you get tetris to run?  I lode the 'TETRIS' file, and all I get is
> garbage on the screen. (of the lameboy that is!).  Is the TETRIS file suppossed
> to be only about 2k???? I did also set a large stack.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!

Same here.  I got garbage too, and I _DO_ have a meg of chip, tried
running it with NoFastMem, tried running it with a 160,000 byte stack,
and it always looks like crap.  Never works, always resets the computer...
--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/05/91)

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:
>From article <967705B7849F000CAC@ucs.uwplatt.edu>, by UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU:
>> How did you get tetris to run?  I lode the 'TETRIS' file, and all I get is
>> garbage on the screen. (of the lameboy that is!).  Is the TETRIS file suppossed
>> to be only about 2k???? I did also set a large stack.  Any help would be
>> greatly appreciated!

>Same here.  I got garbage too, and I _DO_ have a meg of chip, tried
>running it with NoFastMem, tried running it with a 160,000 byte stack,
>and it always looks like crap.  Never works, always resets the computer...

I DON'T have 1 meg of chip and it WORKS.

I assume ya all know enough to Hit the PLAY button. :^)

and ya need TETRIS and TETRIS.z80
(I think)

C-yay
--

ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric Paul Armstrong) (04/05/91)

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>I DON'T have 1 meg of chip and it WORKS.

>I assume ya all know enough to Hit the PLAY button. :^)

>and ya need TETRIS and TETRIS.z80
>(I think)

>C-yay

What is your system configuration?

----
Eric P. Armstrong		ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

jreeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Joe B Reeves) (04/05/91)

|Joe Reeves | The Ohio State University | jreeves@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  |
|---Memo-to-myself.-Do-the-dumb-things-I-gotta-do.-Touch-the-puppet-head.----|
|    //               They Might Be Giants debut album.                      |

jreeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Joe B Reeves) (04/05/91)

That last letter was a mess, wasn't it? Well, anyway- where is ab20, and I
to know where I could find some arcing programs. Thanks!

|Joe Reeves | The Ohio State University | jreeves@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  |
|---Memo-to-myself.-Do-the-dumb-things-I-gotta-do.-Touch-the-puppet-head.----|
|    //               They Might Be Giants debut album.                      |

gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (04/05/91)

Well, I am still totally unable to make the emulator work.  The emulator itself seems to run fine, however when I load tetris (I've tried loading "tetris.z80" but it is a "bad file format", so i assume it loads that itself after you load in that ~2K tetris file...) Anyways, after being loaded the "gameboy" screen turns to an unrandom garbage, it seems to take on the same pattern every time.
When i then hit the play button, the machine GURUs out, citing meditation #00000004.00C875C8 (I have no idea what this particular number means, I dont have any such interpret tables or programs).....

My full setup is: Amiga 500 w/1 Meg (Commodore A501 Memory Expansion)
No ECS (512 CHip Ram, 512 Fast), a California-Access 880 External Drive,
A Trumpcard-500 controlling a Seagate 49MEG HD, and some other, nonimportant items, such as a modem, printer, etc...
I have tried disconnecting everything and then running it...did the same thing, loaded up garbage then crashed when i tried a run...I even tried physically removing the expansion ram, which also didnt help...I'm not sure what the exact problem it, but it seems I am not the only one to experience it...

dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) (04/05/91)

UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU writes:

>How did you get tetris to run?  I lode the 'TETRIS' file, and all I get is
>garbage on the screen. (of the lameboy that is!).  Is the TETRIS file suppossed
>to be only about 2k???? I did also set a large stack.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!

Some pals and I did some experimenting and comparing notes last night,
and at the end, we concluded that you need at least a 68010 to run the
gameboy emulator. I can't help noticing that every person who has posted so far
a story of success has at least a 68010. Here's what we found:

Computer	memory		CPU		runs?
--------	------		---		-----
A2000		8M fast/1M chip 68030 (GVP)	yes
A2000 		2M fast/1M chip 68000		no
A1000		2M fast/.5 chip 68000		no
A500		4M fast/.5 chip 68020 (LUCAS)   yes, stack at 4K.

Tetris seemed to run at full speed on those which it would run at all.
Of course, the 68010 thing is just a theory...

David Black  University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory          ///
             Internet: dave-b@uiuc.edu                                    ///
             Bitnet:   black@uiucmrl                                  \\\///
             Usenet:   uunet!uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu!black%uimrl.dnet      \XX/

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr5.033719.11116@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:
> UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU writes:
>
> Some pals and I did some experimenting and comparing notes last night,
> and at the end, we concluded that you need at least a 68010 to run the
> gameboy emulator. I can't help noticing that every person who has posted so far
> a story of success has at least a 68010. Here's what we found:
>
> Computer	memory		CPU		runs?
> --------	------		---		-----
> A2000		8M fast/1M chip 68030 (GVP)	yes
> A2000 		2M fast/1M chip 68000		no
> A1000		2M fast/.5 chip 68000		no
> A500		4M fast/.5 chip 68020 (LUCAS)   yes, stack at 4K.
>
> Tetris seemed to run at full speed on those which it would run at all.
> Of course, the 68010 thing is just a theory...

Looks like your theory may be correct, I also have an A2000 w/ 3 megs and
a plain 68000 and it also gurus after loading and running it.

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

871579l@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Todd Lowe) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.140955.29489@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.033719.11116@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) writes:
>> UCSEDG@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU writes:
>>
>> Some pals and I did some experimenting and comparing notes last night,
>> and at the end, we concluded that you need at least a 68010 to run the
>> gameboy emulator. I can't help noticing that every person who has posted so far
>> a story of success has at least a 68010. Here's what we found:
>>
>> Tetris seemed to run at full speed on those which it would run at all.
>> Of course, the 68010 thing is just a theory...
>>
>Looks like your theory may be correct, I also have an A2000 w/ 3 megs and
>a plain 68000 and it also gurus after loading and running it.
>
>David Poland
>2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Well, I have an a500 1 meg chip, 2 meg fast and no go with either os1.3
or 2.0. (on a 68000)

I'm gonna try a 68010 in it. If it works I'll post a short followup.

-Todd Lowe
todd@falcon.acadiau.ca

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (04/10/91)

I can't even get this file!  I tried to ftp it from abc20 and it wasn't there.
There's a file called "emulators" which I downloaded and found out that it
was the un-fixed version of the gameboy emulator which doesn't include the
tetris program but only the tetris.z80 file and the gameboy file.  Can
somebody ftp it to that site again?  Thanx.  GLinn