[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBM Emulator for AMAX?

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (04/17/91)

     Now THERE's a concept!

     Can anybody tell me where to get/buy this program and any information on
it?  Obviously it's B&W, but how well?  Thanks for any info!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (rick kent stu) (04/17/91)

In article <91106.222151DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     Now THERE's a concept!
>
>     Can anybody tell me where to get/buy this program and any information on
>it?  Obviously it's B&W, but how well?  Thanks for any info!

The program is called "SoftPC" and it's an IBM software emulator for the
MAC.  The package I believe comes with 2 versions (an XT and AT
version).  The XT version is the one I ran under AMAX and it appeared to
work fine.  It does require quite a bit of memory (2 megs or something I
think).  The AT version requires even more (about 3 megs).  I didn't
havet
enough memory to try the AT version).  While the XT version is black
and white, I think the AT version will do EGA color on a Mac II color
display.  The only real problem I had was that the Function keys on the
keyboard were not supported, but I believe this is because
AMAX is not implementing the extended Apple keyboard.  The other problem
is that you can't read IBM disks in the Amiga drive while under MAC
emulation (at least not to my knowledge), so to get IBM programs onto
the MAC side, you'll need to first transfer your IBM software to an
Amiga
Disk with something like CrossDOS or MessyDOS and then move them over to
the MAC side with the AMAX File Transfer software.  Once on the MAC side
you can place the files into a directory accessible by the SoftPC
emulator.
   SoftPC is put out by Insignia Solutions, but I don't have their
address or phone number.  You may be able to find this software at your
local Apple dealer.  I think they also have a version for UNIX or the
NeXT.

--
Rick Kent                                              // Only
California State University, Bakersfield             \X/  Amiga!