[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Thing for 500...

v104nmym@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Sherman T Chan) (04/19/91)

I remember hearing about some board that fit into the Amiga 500's
512K expansion slot, and it was supposed to be an XT card.  Does
anyone know if the thing is real, and if so, how much does it cost?
I'll be needing an MSDOS machine soon, and I want to know if this
is practical, or should I just go out and look for a cheap used
clone.

Sherm

al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova Avila) (04/20/91)

v104nmym@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Sherman T Chan) writes:

>I remember hearing about some board that fit into the Amiga 500's
>512K expansion slot, and it was supposed to be an XT card.  Does
>anyone know if the thing is real, and if so, how much does it cost?
>I'll be needing an MSDOS machine soon, and I want to know if this
>is practical, or should I just go out and look for a cheap used
>clone.

>Sherm

   Yo must be talking about the power pc board, a little
thing that plugs into the a500 trapdoor which contains:
* a nec v20
* 512k ram that works as expansion ram while in amiga mode
  or as main ram while in pc mode
* another 512k ram that works as a ramdisk while in amiga
  mode or as workspace while in pc mode
* some utilities such as crossdos, ms-loss, etc etc, to get
  you up and running.

   When using this board either you run as an amiga (which
would be an a500 with 1mb ram and a 512k ramdisk) or as a
pc, which would be a pc with cga [?] graphics and 512k [?]
ram. I'm not 100% sure about this, but if there's an interest
I'll type in some information from the AmigaWhirled review.

   In my opinion, it looks quite neat, comes with amiga and
msdos software, and isn't a hassle to install. On the other
hand, it doesn't have hard disk support :(

   If I find a review about the AtOnce, I'll post it too.
Again, if there's interest.

Gustavo

--
| Gustavo Cordova Avila		 | al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx       |
| Electronic Systems Engineering | PL158305@tecmtyvm.bitnet	      |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/21/91)

In article <71821@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v104nmym@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I remember hearing about some board that fit into the Amiga 500's
>512K expansion slot, and it was supposed to be an XT card.  Does
>anyone know if the thing is real, and if so, how much does it cost?
>I'll be needing an MSDOS machine soon, and I want to know if this
>is practical, or should I just go out and look for a cheap used
>clone.
>
>Sherm

  KCS Power PC Board. Available in the US from Westbury, NY (Long Island).

  But before getting the $450 XT board, why not get a $250 286 ATonce instead?

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

watters@apache.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.223348.9487@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  KCS Power PC Board. Available in the US from Westbury, NY (Long Island).
>
>  But before getting the $450 XT board, why not get a $250 286 ATonce instead?

Because nothing runs on it.

IBeM runs more things than ATonce does at the store near me.

David

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH