[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Mac's Powerpacker WANTED.

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (04/02/91)

I have been looking for this thing.

Powerpacker and Imploder are available for Amiga computers.  These programs
compresses executables and saves disk space.

Now that AMAXII supports the harddrive partition on Amiga, I wonder if I can
minimize the size of this partition by compress all my Mac programs that's on
this drive. (Like the way I compress most/all my amiga programs on the amiga
partition)  COULD THIS BE DONE??

I understand that I'm NOT to use Powerpacker/Imploder directly on my mac
programs.  (That would be stupid)  So, is there a similar program for mac that
does what PowerPacker/Imploder does?

I appreciate any help from my beloved comp.sys.amiga.emulations netters.

   +     AAllll tthhoossee mmoommeennttss wwiillll bbee lloosstt iinn ttiimmee,, lliikkee tteeaarrss iinn tthhee rraaiinn..   +
   +   (**) Maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu    (**) Billy - IInnnneerrTTaannggeenntt - Human1   +

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (04/03/91)

I assume you're not talking about StuffIt or Compactor, which are
meant for archiving rather than for daily compression/extraction.

If this is true, then the program you want is DiskDoubler, from
Salient Software.  DiskDoubler can compress and extract files
transparently (well, almost) as they are closed and opened.
It's a commercial product; the latest MacConnection ad lists the
price at $45.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- Rochester General Hospital Radiology
   (Consultant), CWRU Psychology and Chemistry Depts., CWRU MacMUG

"Big shots are often low calibre." -- Bazooka Joe

jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) (04/03/91)

        Stuffit for the mac is real good.  I believe it's shareware
and it's opn Genie (I think)  It's not quite like powerpoacker
more like zip.  Wil that help?

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jackf
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jackf@nosc.mil
INET: jackf@pnet01.cts.com

ayrjola@vipunen.hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (04/04/91)

In article <8354@crash.cts.com> jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) writes:

>Stuffit for the mac is real good.

Heh.

Ever tried Stuffit on MacIIci?  I have.  Makes you wonder how
slow can they go...;-)

>I believe it's shareware
>and it's opn Genie (I think)  It's not quite like powerpoacker
>more like zip.  Wil that help?

After seeing so much good free/pd/whatever software for amiga
makes me wonder why almost all mac software (what I've seen)
floating around is shareware. Was it $20 for something as sloppy
as Stuffit? Sheesh.

Fortunately there's Stuffit-compatible program named Compactor
(shareware of course ;) which is much quicker, behaves better
under multibrainded...erm multifinder etc.

Dunno if there's anything like Powerpacker for mac.

--
Ari  Yrj|l{       Internet:  ayrjola@hut.fi          /
JMT 3B 231b       BITNET :   LK-AY AT FINHUT        / Money talks -

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve Krulewitz) (04/06/91)

There is Double Disk for the Mac (not cirtain of the current version) which
works just like the IBM version.  If you are not familiar with the program, it
is a memory resident CDEV (I think) which compresses/uncompressed files going
to and from the selected volumes.  So everything on the disk is compressed
(not sure of the average compression), but it is better than PowerPacker and
Imploder, where they compress only executibles.  So all you lose is loading
time.  Hope this helps...

  -=+ Steve Krulewitz +=- -=+ Fair Lawn, NJ +=- -=+
                                     UUNET!tronbox!amiglynx!stevek.UUCP +=-

mental@bluemoon.uucp (Sean Kellner) (04/07/91)

jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) writes:

>         Stuffit for the mac is real good.  I believe it's shareware
> and it's opn Genie (I think)  It's not quite like powerpoacker
> more like zip.  Wil that help?

 There is a commercial program for the Mac called DiskDoubler. This is
almost identical to PowerPacker in what it is for, 'cept the Mac crowd
likes to think it makes their HD bigger. Whatever floats your boat I
guess.

Who is evil? Who is blind?             |    mental%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
In the name of who you'll find         |       or if that doesnt work
You're not supposed to question faith  |  rknaggs@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu
But how do you accept this fate?   -Anthrax

 This is from
     mental@bluemoon.uucp
     mental%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (04/07/91)

Steve Krulewitz writes:

>(not sure of the average compression), but it is better than PowerPacker and
>Imploder, where they compress only executibles.  So all you lose is loading
>time.  Hope this helps...

This is not 100% true, PowerPacker will gladly compress data files, however you will usually need a customized program to read the data files (like PPmore)
These programs, as well as powerpacker.library are both easily obtainable, however so it is not unheard of to comprss unexecutables..

andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr1.222606.2530@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
>[wants the Mac equivalent of PwoerPacker]

I haven't heard of a Mac program to compress executables and then
uncompress them on-the-fly but there is one to uncompress/compress
data files on-the-fly.  It is a CDEV called AutoSqueeze and was
posted to comp.binaries.mac in Feb.  It automatically expands data
files when they are used and compresses them again when you're finished.

This would not be as much use as a PowerPacker type program to me as
I don't have that many data files compared to executables but it
might be of use to you.

There are also, of course, lots of manual compressors like Stuffit etc.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Phillips (andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au) Phone +61 (Aust) 2 (Sydney) 289 8712

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (04/14/91)

In article <1229@teslab.lab.OZ> andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) writes:
>In article <1991Apr1.222606.2530@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
>>[wants the Mac equivalent of PwoerPacker]
>
>I haven't heard of a Mac program to compress executables and then
>uncompress them on-the-fly but there is one to uncompress/compress
>data files on-the-fly.  It is a CDEV called AutoSqueeze and was
>posted to comp.binaries.mac in Feb.  It automatically expands data
>files when they are used and compresses them again when you're finished.

OK, now the big question:  Has anyone written anything like this for the
Amiga?	For example, I have lots of PD games that I'd like to fit onto
fewer disks, but compressing the executables doesn't save much space
because the sound and graphics files are so large.  Something like the
above-mentioned program would be a major benefit.

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (04/24/91)

In article <1229@teslab.lab.OZ> andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au (Andrew Phillips) writes:
>In article <1991Apr1.222606.2530@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:
>>[wants the Mac equivalent of PwoerPacker]
>
>I haven't heard of a Mac program to compress executables and then
>uncompress them on-the-fly but there is one to uncompress/compress
>data files on-the-fly.  It is a CDEV called AutoSqueeze and was
>posted to comp.binaries.mac in Feb.  It automatically expands data
>files when they are used and compresses them again when you're finished.
>
>This would not be as much use as a PowerPacker type program to me as
>I don't have that many data files compared to executables but it
>might be of use to you.
>
>There are also, of course, lots of manual compressors like Stuffit etc.

As the office mate of the guy who wrote AutoSqueeze, I have to point out
that AutoSqueeze will decompress and recompress executable files just as it
will data files -- it doesn't care what is in the files.  So you can double
click on a compressed application and it will decompress and then launch.
It's a bit slow, of course. :^)

- Laird Popkin