[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] comp.sys.mac.system

rajah@con.berkeley.edu (Raja S Kushalnagar) (04/23/91)

I have an emulator for a Mac Plus on my Amiga 2000HD (Amax II)(Super
Agnus, 3 MB total), running 6.0.7. When I heard aout MacEnvy, I
downloaded and then tried to run it from the control panel as per the
docs. It crashed my system, saying: Error, no co-processor installed!

This is wierd. First, I have a plain A2000, not a A3000 or A2000 with
accelerator card. Since when did any program expect a 68000 to work
with a 68881 or 68882? And the ROMS for the emulator are the 128K
ones for the Mac Plus too, I should know, I examined them. I also do
not have the PseudoFPU thingie installed. Since people say that MacEnvy
works on their amaxes, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the emulator,
per se, but with my set up. Can anyone clue me in to the problem?

	Raja.

hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) (04/23/91)

In article <41848@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rajah@con.berkeley.edu (Raja S Kushalnagar) writes:
>I have an emulator for a Mac Plus on my Amiga 2000HD (Amax II)(Super
>Agnus, 3 MB total), running 6.0.7. When I heard aout MacEnvy, I
>downloaded and then tried to run it from the control panel as per the
>docs. It crashed my system, saying: Error, no co-processor installed!
>

>	Raja.

Apple does not recommend systems numbered higher than 6.0.5 for the Plus.
If you're using 6.0.7, the system probably assumes it is running on a
Mac II.

Harry R. Meyer  hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.005634.14187@ucselx.sdsu.edu> hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) writes:
>In article <41848@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rajah@con.berkeley.edu (Raja S Kushalnagar) writes:
>>I have an emulator for a Mac Plus on my Amiga 2000HD (Amax II)(Super
>>Agnus, 3 MB total), running 6.0.7. When I heard aout MacEnvy, I
>>downloaded and then tried to run it from the control panel as per the
>>docs. It crashed my system, saying: Error, no co-processor installed!
>
>Apple does not recommend systems numbered higher than 6.0.5 for the Plus.
>If you're using 6.0.7, the system probably assumes it is running on a
>Mac II.

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo.

"Apple" has ALWAYS recommended running the latest released OS version
whenever possible, because each release has bug-fixes and functionality
enhancements for all models.  No system version ever "assumes it is running on
a Mac II".  They all know how to check, and do so.  Note: it IS possible to
use the Installer program to customize a boot disk for a particular model,
but in that case, if the boot code noticed that it was on the wrong type of
machine it would present an explanatory alert box, with a Restart button, at
boot time.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (04/23/91)

In article <41848@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rajah@con.berkeley.edu (Raja S Kushalnagar) writes:
>I have an emulator for a Mac Plus on my Amiga 2000HD (Amax II)(Super
>Agnus, 3 MB total), running 6.0.7. When I heard aout MacEnvy, I
>downloaded and then tried to run it from the control panel as per the
>docs. It crashed my system, saying: Error, no co-processor installed!

In my experience, 6.0.7 is flakier on older Macs.  6.0.7 gives that "no
coprocessor installed" error more often than it should.  I'd install 6.0.5 and
try reinstalling MacEnvy.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (04/24/91)

[about systems and AMAX]

   BTW, has anybody tried to install sys 7.0 and to run it on AMAX ?

    Once again, I don't have an Amiga to do it myself. But I know a
release like 7.0b4 runs on a Mac+, so there should be no reason.

           JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne@lbl.gov

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (04/24/91)

hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu (meyer h) writes:
>Apple does not recommend systems numbered higher than 6.0.5 for the Plus.
>If you're using 6.0.7, the system probably assumes it is running on a
>Mac II.

>Harry R. Meyer  hrmeyer@ucselx.sdsu.edu

My friend's new Mac Classic has 6.0.7, the rom version is important,
but not the microprocessor. And it's true that 6.0.7 only uses if you
have the new Mac lines, especially the sound input, since it's the
major upgrade to 6.0.7.

David Tse
maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu

ps. hi Harry.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (04/25/91)

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) says:

>>>I have an emulator for a Mac Plus on my Amiga 2000HD (Amax II)(Super
>>>Agnus, 3 MB total), running 6.0.7.
>>
>>Apple does not recommend systems numbered higher than 6.0.5 for the Plus.
>>If you're using 6.0.7, the system probably assumes it is running on a
>>Mac II.
>
>NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo.
>
>"Apple" has ALWAYS recommended running the latest released OS version
>whenever possible, because each release has bug-fixes and functionality
>enhancements for all models.

Uh uh.  6.0.7 does not have bug-fixes for all models.  6.0.7 adds
compatibility with the IILC, IIsi, and classic.  Unfortunately, it
is pretty widely known that 6.0.7 also adds random system crashes.
(This was pretty widely publicized in MacWeek and MacUser.)  6.0.7
is far from bug-free, and it adds NOTHING to your plus/A-Max that
you didn't have with 6.0.5.

>No system version ever "assumes it is running on a Mac II."

True.  Maybe MacEnvy didn't know 6.0.7 and choked on it, and
subsequently reported lack of a co-processor.  Dunno.

ANYWAY, MacEnvy does work and quite well too.  System 6.0.7
doesn't, however.  I recommend installing System 6.0.5 and
using that.

                                                            Kurt
:: Kurt Tappe          (215) 363-9485 :: With.   Without.   And who'll ::
:: 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.    458-5000 :: deny it's what the fighting's ||
:: Malvern, PA 19355-2214       (work)|| all about?    -  Pink Floyd   ::
::  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu               --------------------------------||
::  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (04/25/91)

** Sneak preview: Here's a bit of info I have included in the newest
                  FAAQL that will be posted (I promise - we've had
                  newsmailer problems) soon!

In article <12414@dog.ee.lbl.gov>, jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) asks:

>   BTW, has anybody tried to install sys 7.0 and to run it on AMAX ?
>
>    Once again, I don't have an Amiga to do it myself. But I know a
>release like 7.0b4 runs on a Mac+, so there should be no reason.

Ah... but there IS a reason.  I tried yesterday to install 7.0b6 onto
A-Max.  Get this: The installation disks would not even boot!  I find
this MORE than disturbing.  And I'm not talking about 23rd-hand black
market copies either.  I work for a company that is a registered Apple
developer, so I've got access to the real McCoy.  Something strange
is afoot here.  I'm going to pull the stops and find out if 7.0 will
run on A-Max tomorrow; I'm taking my Ami to work and connecting it
to an HD that has 7.0 installed so we can sidestep the installation
procedure.  A detailed report will follow, so keep it tuned here.
Same bat time, same bat channel.  ;-)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/25/91)

In article <91114.221245JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>Ah... but there IS a reason.  I tried yesterday to install 7.0b6 onto
>A-Max.  Get this: The installation disks would not even boot!  I find
>this MORE than disturbing.  And I'm not talking about 23rd-hand black
>market copies either.  I work for a company that is a registered Apple
>developer, so I've got access to the real McCoy.  Something strange
>is afoot here.  I'm going to pull the stops and find out if 7.0 will
>run on A-Max tomorrow; I'm taking my Ami to work and connecting it
>to an HD that has 7.0 installed so we can sidestep the installation
>procedure.  A detailed report will follow, so keep it tuned here.
>Same bat time, same bat channel.  ;-)
>
>                                                            Kurt
>--

I heard and its only a rumor that Readysoft will release AmaxIII andit
will support system 7.0 as well as color.  Thats about all I know.  I
did hear that AmaxII would support sys 7.0 ...I think.  But who knows?

                                     NCW

klein@seq.uncwil.edu (Tony Klein) (04/26/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

>I heard and its only a rumor that Readysoft will release AmaxIII andit
>will support system 7.0 as well as color.  Thats about all I know.  I
>did hear that AmaxII would support sys 7.0 ...I think.  But who knows?

What ever happened to AmaxII+ ???  I have been saving up my pennies for
a while now, just waiting for it to come out and now AmaxIII is being
discussed ?!  Did I miss something ?

                                            Confused,
									  Tony

  /                                                                    \
  | ... Gotta stop living at a pace that kills before I wake up dead ! |
  |          klein@seq.uncwil.edu   or   kleina@vxc.uncwil.edu         |
  \____________________________________________________________________/

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/27/91)

In article <91114.220356JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) says:
>>>Apple does not recommend systems numbered higher than 6.0.5 for the Plus.
>>>If you're using 6.0.7, the system probably assumes it is running on a
>>>Mac II.
>>
>>"Apple" has ALWAYS recommended running the latest released OS version
>>whenever possible, because each release has bug-fixes and functionality
>>enhancements for all models.
>
>Uh uh.  6.0.7 does not have bug-fixes for all models.  6.0.7 adds
>compatibility with the IILC, IIsi, and classic.  Unfortunately, it
>is pretty widely known that 6.0.7 also adds random system crashes.
>(This was pretty widely publicized in MacWeek and MacUser.)  6.0.7
>is far from bug-free, and it adds NOTHING to your plus/A-Max that
>you didn't have with 6.0.5.

This is not true.  6.0.7 installs the revised and improved (and partially
incompatible :-( ) System 7 Sound Manager on ALL models, and has (like all
incremental system releases) a BUNCH of subtle and not so subtle bug-fixes for
ALL models.  I agree that 6.0.7 appears to be flaky under some circumstances.
I was just trying to correct the inaccurate statement that Apple discourages
users of older models from upgrading to the latest system version.

>>No system version ever "assumes it is running on a Mac II."
>
>True.  Maybe MacEnvy didn't know 6.0.7 and choked on it, and
>subsequently reported lack of a co-processor.  Dunno.
>
>ANYWAY, MacEnvy does work and quite well too.  System 6.0.7
>doesn't, however.  I recommend installing System 6.0.5 and
>using that.

I agree that this is probably the best idea.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145
Office of Facilities Management     |            Chicago, IL  60637
B0 f++ w c+ g+ k s(+) e+ h- pv (qv) | Telephone: 312-702-6900

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (04/28/91)

In article <12558@dog.ee.lbl.gov> jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) writes:

>    Believe me, if there's only one bad part (for the moment) in the sys
>7.0 ... it's the sound manager ! (-: Most of the applications unsing the
>sound manager a lot (like finder sounds for ex.) break under 7.0b4. I've
>been using 6.0.5 on my fx quite intensely, and didn't see any difference
>with 6.0.7.

The incompatibility between 7.0b4 and Finder Sounds is NOT due to changes
in the Sound Manager (which, I believe DID change between 6.0.5 and 6.0.7),
but due to the fact that the hooks Finder Sounds relied upon in 6.0.7 are
no longer present in in System 7.0.

Amax users thinking about using 7.0 should probably follow reports of
Mac Plus users trying it in comp.sys.mac.system.