[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] GAMEBOY emulator

Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (04/01/91)

Has anyone seen the GAMEBOY emulator for the Amiga?
Raman

* "I believe in a God which doesn't need heavy financing.", Fletch *
* Raman Anand                                                      *
* CIS: 73767,2161                                                  *
* USENET: 73767.2161@compuserve.com or Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP   *
*               VANCOUVER, BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA              *
*           (604) 591-5344 (Home) - (604) 522-1137 (Work)          *

jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) (04/03/91)

In article <5361@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>Has anyone seen the GAMEBOY emulator for the Amiga?
>Raman

I downloaded it from ab20, and it seems to be for real, but the included game
(tetris) won't load.

Does anyone know how you are supposed to dump the game cartridges to the amiga?

Jon
--
| Jonathan Potter  |                             | Life is like a piece of   |
| P.O. Box 289     | jpotter@itd.adelaide.edu.au |   spinach...              |

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/03/91)

In article <5361@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:

> Has anyone seen the GAMEBOY emulator for the Amiga?
> Raman
> --

The emulator is on a BBS here in Houston, along with a Tetris game.

The problem is that nobody can get the darn thing to work!

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

slewis@sugar.hackercorp.com (Steve Lewis) (04/03/91)

In article <5361@mindlink.UUCP>, Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
> Has anyone seen the GAMEBOY emulator for the Amiga?
> Raman
> --

The gameboy emulator is available at ab20.larc.nasa.gov as gameboy.lzh

gfm@albert.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (04/04/91)

I also got the GAMEBOY emulator figuring it would be nice to show off to gameboy/nintendo fanatics, i got the "fixed" version from ab20, yes TETRIS still did not work...i tried loading in tetris.z80 as z80 code (which, it very well seems to be if you read it as text)...it gave a BAD FILE FORMAT error...I then tried to load in "tetris" which DID load, howeverput garbage graphics on the gameboy screen and when run crashed my amiga...If anyone has furthur info on how to make this work, please mail me at: gfm@

gnu.ai.mit.edu

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (04/04/91)

Does this mean the Gameboy uses a Z80? (Guess so..)
Wow, that's inovation, that's Power, that's how they make a PROFIT
the GB's proberly don't cost $10 to make!

I'm dloading that thing now....

I find it hard to belie it's not a Joke.
:^)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>Does this mean the Gameboy uses a Z80? (Guess so..)
>Wow, that's inovation, that's Power, that's how they make a PROFIT
>the GB's proberly don't cost $10 to make!

>I'm dloading that thing now....

Well i stand corrected, the thing does work, i got tetris to run.

the thing needs a LOT of CHIP, and for good measure i
gave it a BIG stack 120000 (Kinda large eh?)

The game is SLOW, and Blea...

But it has potential.

Now the question is..... How do i get Mario Brothers into it!.

:^)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.
(Hope THIS sig don't insult anyone!)   :^)

gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (04/04/91)

	I still can't get the thing to run, so I'll ask 2 questions since someone seems to have:

1.  Are you using gameboy_fix.lzh from ab20?

    if so..

2. When you say large amounts of CHIP does that mean at least a meg?
   as it is now I've only got 1 meg....512K chip....

If anyone figures out how to (if possible) run it on such a setup, tell me..

gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (04/04/91)

Ok...Well it seems alot of people got this to work..and alot (like me)
didint..So I think it probably requires 1 meg of chip as all the people
I have talked that have gotten it to run say they have this..I dont...
I plan on getting it soon however..(No, I am not getting it just so i can run a gameboy :)....Nevertheless, someone was bound to bring this up, so it might
as well be me....How legal do you think it is? Ive been thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that it cant be very legal...Nintendo doesnt even licence thier own games out to other systems never mind a whole system....

Anyways...

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/04/91)

In article <david.0645@starsoft.hou.tx.us> david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) writes:

> In article <5361@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
> >
> > Has anyone seen the GAMEBOY emulator for the Amiga?
> > Raman
> > --
> >

> The emulator is on a BBS here in Houston, along with a Tetris game.
>
> The problem is that nobody can get the darn thing to work!

Well, the guy that posted the emulator re-posted a complete version.

It appears to work, but Gameboy emulation on an Amiga seems to be alot
of trouble over nothing.

Before I get thousands of folks asking for a copy..... I will mail it
to someone with FTP access, who can put it up on ab20, or somewhere else.

If you have FTP access, drop me a line. Otherwise please wait, and I
will announce where and when it is archived.

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (04/04/91)

In article <2754@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au
  (Jonathan Potter) writes:
>I downloaded it from ab20, and it seems to be for real, but the included game
>(tetris) won't load.

The file is Z80 source.  I'm not sure it was meant to be read straight in to the
emulator.  It is also commented "modifications for z80 argasm:"...

>Does anyone know how you are supposed to dump the game cartridges to the amiga?

You'd need hardware that was capable of reading the cartridges.  If the copy of
Tetris is actually the disassembled code from the GameBoy cartridge, then it's
illegal.

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

dinn@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael 'Moose' Dinn) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.020135.23254@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) writes:
>1.  Are you using gameboy_fix.lzh from ab20?
I'm using it.
>2. When you say large amounts of CHIP does that mean at least a meg?
I have a Non-halfbrite A1000 with 3 megs of RAM, 512 of it Chip.
I'm using ARP 1.3 and KS1.3.

 From an ARP Shell, this gets the "ToyBoy" emulator running.

 STACK 500000 ; stack of 5 hundred thousand
 GAMEBOY

 From there, I can't get it to load the Z-80 code though. Too bad, it looks
cool. The mouse turns into a mini-gameboy that is playing tetris as you move
it about (and it never seems to lose)....
--
 Michael Dinn, Sysop of the Moose's Swamp - Nova Scotia's largest Amiga BBS
 +1 (902) 463-0483, 3/12/24/48/96/14,400 baud * 170 Megabytes online

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.230357.17366@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> gfm@albert.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) writes:

> I also got the GAMEBOY emulator figuring it would be nice to show off to gameboy/nintendo fanatics, i got the "fixed" version from ab20, yes TETRIS still did not work...i tried loading in tetris.z80 as z80 code (which, it very well seems to be if you
ead>  it as text)...it gave a BAD FILE FORMAT error...I then tried to load in "tetris" which DID load, howeverput garbage graphics on the gameboy screen and when run crashed my amiga...If anyone has furthur info on how to make this work, please mail me
t: gfm> @

You need two files, tetris & tetris.z80

Click on the load button, and reply "tetris" (no quotes).
Then click on the run/stop button to play

I mailed a working copy of gameb, tetris, & tetris.z80 to a couple
of people who say they will put them up on archives. They say that they
will post a msg when it has been done.

B.T.W. The tetris game IS NOT a dump of the GameBoy tetris cart.

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.020135.23254@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) writes:

>	I still can't get the thing to run, so I'll ask 2 questions since someone seems to have:
>
>1.  Are you using gameboy_fix.lzh from ab20?

	Yes.

>2. When you say large amounts of CHIP does that mean at least a meg?
>   as it is now I've only got 1 meg....512K chip....

	I've got it running on a 3000 under 2.0, so I doubt it has any OS/processor
limitations.  Memory is likely to be your problem.

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (04/06/91)

Yes, I have read the Jez San message.
However for the many explorers among you,  you might want to try the following.

Get a good disassembler (one that recognises DEBUG hunks), (like the one from
DEVPAC).
run monam2 and load the file "gameboy", you will get a VERY nice disassembly of
the whole program with Named variables, segment lists etc ...

oh, the reason the gameboy doesnt run on most amigas is because it uses
operations not available on the standard 68000 (but obviously present on the
68010), (their disassembly give things like   CLR.?   D1)

			Walter

mental@bluemoon.uucp (Sean Kellner) (04/07/91)

 Ok, I know it was probably a ril Fools joke and all, but a while back
someone mentioned a Game Boy emulator. Shouldnt be too hard to do so if it
is real where is it on ab20??  Gee, I hope this is a real thing...

 This is from
     mental@bluemoon.uucp
     mental%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

v089pfrb@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr8.130001.7991@vax1.tcd.ie>, bmccnnll@vax1.tcd.ie writes...
->In article <1991Apr4.044945.29023@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) writes:
->
->> Ok...Well it seems alot of people got this to work..and alot (like me)
->> didint..So I think it probably requires 1 meg of chip as all the people
->> I have talked that have gotten it to run say they have this..I dont...
->
->I've 1 meg of Chip and 2 megs of Fast in *my* Amiga, and it doesn't work...
->
->Barry.

The final word is that it requires something more than a 68000. It runs on
anything above the 68K, including 010 020 030. However, it should be
noted that the author informed everyone that it was illegally posted (stolen)
and requested it be deleted.