[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Castle Wolfenstein emu-piled on Amiga

pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (04/30/91)

I mentioned a while ago that a friend had seen a C64 game that had been
converted to the Amiga.  Same graphics, same sound, same speed, and the same
gameplay as the original.  I never actually did see this game.  However, last
night I saw the work of another group of German hackers.  They took the
classic Apple II game, "Castle Wolfenstein" and converted it to the Amiga.  It
looks EXACTLY the same, right down to the bleeding Apple II colors and
flickering character-set graphics.  It is exactly the same speed, and has that
great early use of sound digitizing that "Wolfenstein" pioneered.  You can
save your game to disk, like the original as well.  In short, if I didn't know
it was an Amiga, I would guess that it was an Apple II hooked up to an RGB
monitor.

While the legalities of such a conversion can be debated (who knows where Muse
is today), it certainly is a technical triumph.  Has anyone else seen similar
Apple II or C64 conversions?  There certainly are a lot of older games I would
like to see converted over (ie: MULE & BILESTOAD).

It also shows just how effective an emu-piler can be.  "Wolfenstein" takes up
about 1/8th of a normal format Amiga disk.  It executes quickly, and could
probably be installed on a hard drive for all I know.  For games, I think
emu-pilers are the ONLY way to go.

Although I would really love to throw this up on ab20, I don't think it would
be wise, due to possible copyright problems.
--
      /       "Uhh" - Jon Bon Jovi         \       THISSPACEHASBEENRENTEDTHISS
\\  /  AMGIA!!  The computer for the mind. \X v//  PAC  SMiles! from Ilana EHA
Pete Ashdown  pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

In article <1991Apr29.214217.11111@javelin.sim.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>While the legalities of such a conversion can be debated (who knows where Muse
>is today), it certainly is a technical triumph.  Has anyone else seen similar
>Apple II or C64 conversions?  There certainly are a lot of older games I would
>like to see converted over (ie: MULE & BILESTOAD).

	Could someone please give a description of M.U.L.E.? I keep hearing
about this game but don't know what it is.

>It also shows just how effective an emu-piler can be.  "Wolfenstein" takes up
>about 1/8th of a normal format Amiga disk.  It executes quickly, and could

	While this is a very interesting happening, it doesn't seem that
amazing to me that it takes up 1/8 of a 3.5" disk, like I told you in mail.
There must have been a lot of work done in the conversion, OBVIOUSLY, but it
would seem logical that it'd be about the same size as the original on the
Apple II. A 140K disk is roughly 1/8 of an Amiga disk. (880K I believe)
And since the 68000 instructions can do more per instruction than the 6502,
it seems I'm being reasonable in my assumptions.

	That's really cool to hear about though. Now we just need a GS
specific version.. or at least an old version being hacked to run off of a
3.5" disk.
--
/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (04/30/91)

In article <15169@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1991Apr29.214217.11111@javelin.sim.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>
>>It also shows just how effective an emu-piler can be.  "Wolfenstein" takes up
>>about 1/8th of a normal format Amiga disk.  It executes quickly, and could
>
>	While this is a very interesting happening, it doesn't seem that
>amazing to me that it takes up 1/8 of a 3.5" disk, like I told you in mail.
>There must have been a lot of work done in the conversion, OBVIOUSLY, but it
>would seem logical that it'd be about the same size as the original on the
>Apple II. A 140K disk is roughly 1/8 of an Amiga disk. (880K I believe)

   Ahhh, but don't you remember? The original Castle Wolfenstein was an
even sectored DOS3.2 diskette, with no special hacking to free space.
That works out to 31 usable 13 sector tracks, about 100kB assuming all
sectors were in use. They weren't, though, the remaining space came to
about 20 sectors, and there was always a complete backup of the saved
game file, which ran to 50 sectors. That brings us to about 85kB.

>/unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! WANT ULTIMA VI //e or GS?-mail me.\
>\CHEAP CDs info-mail me. McIntosh Junior:  The Power to Crush the Other Kids. /

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | Flash: morning star seen
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | in evening! Baffled

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) (04/30/91)

While it is great that a group of programmers were able to recode the old
Wolfenstein down to the last proverbial bit, there are several things to
consider:

Even in PD form, this is copyright infringement and could run into the same
troubles the Tetris clones ran into.  If Wolf. doesn't care, don't worry.

If someone is going to go through the trouble of recoding this thing, WHY
make it the SAME graphically?  I loved my old Apple //e.  I loved Castle
Wolfenstein, but when it could look Amiga quality, to make it Apple quality
is senseless.

Did anyone ever see the old hack, Castle Smurfenstein?  Great game with
Smurfberry bombs (grenades) and Papa Smurf (Hitler) and just the idea of
going around shooting smurfs, well, it was great.

mark

--
Amiga Special: Buy a computer, and we'll throw in MS-DOS, Mac, Apple 2e,
	       C64/128, Atari ST, BBC title compatibility for the price of

bazyar@ernie (Jawaid Bazyar) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.035718.28873@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) writes:
[...]
>If someone is going to go through the trouble of recoding this thing, WHY
>make it the SAME graphically?  I loved my old Apple //e.  I loved Castle
>Wolfenstein, but when it could look Amiga quality, to make it Apple quality
>is senseless.

  First off, did you ever consider that recoding the ol' Wolfer to use
Amiga graphics might make it necessary to recode most of the game? As
opposed to emulating the '02 instruction set and catching references to
the hires page?

Flame on

   Gee, you must be AWFULLY sure that only AMIGA people read this newsgroup.
I fear if someone tried to rewrite Wolfenstein for the Amiga, it would turn
out as pulp, like 90% of all those "great" Amiga games.
   To be honest, I've never seen games on the Amiga that have been as
enduring as my Apple II games- Bilestoad, Wizardry, Black Magic, Bolo,
Choplifter, Cannonball Blitz, Dung Beetles, Apple Panic.  These games WIN
because they authors didn't worry about whether their graphics looked
better than the next guys.  They concentrated on something I've seen a big
lack of in many Amiga games (including ones with really NICE graphics)-
playability.  The day I see an Amiga game as utterly fantastic as Bilestoad,
I will capitulate.
   But until then, watch what you say about Apple IIs, and the Amiga's
'obvious' superiority in the game department. It's got great ability,
but I've rarely seen that ability used.

Flame off

--
Jawaid Bazyar               |  "Twenty seven faces- with their eyes turned to
Senior/Computer Engineering |    the sky. I have got a camera, and an airtight

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/01/91)

[]
>>Mark Lieb writes: If someone is going through the trouble of recoding
>> this thing, why make it the SAME graphically?

I think the answer to that is for nostalgias sake.  Some people do
get a feeling of nostalgia when they see the exact same graphics they
were so captivated with years ago, in high school or whenever.

Certainly no technical or other reason, so must be emotional.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (05/02/91)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:

>[]
>>>Mark Lieb writes: If someone is going through the trouble of recoding
>>> this thing, why make it the SAME graphically?

>I think the answer to that is for nostalgias sake.  Some people do
>get a feeling of nostalgia when they see the exact same graphics they
>were so captivated with years ago, in high school or whenever.

>Certainly no technical or other reason, so must be emotional.

Ever see "into the egals nest" (oops Eagles Nest)
it's almost the same as Castle Wolf.

(Not very good by amiga standards)

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.