[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] A question to gameboy/lynx emulators !

<ZV0006@DMSWWU1C.BITNET> (04/30/91)

1. Where can I get this fine toy called gameboy-emulator ?

2. Does anyone know if a lynx emulator exists ?

  Because the developer's system is running on AMIGA under multitasking !
  ( what a shame for atari !)
                                    AMIGA RULES !!!
                                             Thanks
                                                     <Cyberpunk>

psteffn@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Paul Steffen) (04/30/91)

The Nintendo emulator exists but apparently was taken off ab20 because
it never should have been released.  It also requires a 68010 or
higher.

Obviously, no Lynx emulator exists or will ever exist on the Amiga.
The coprocessor graphics hardware on the Lynx is more powerful than
the Amiga's blitter so it would be as likely as seeing an Amiga
emulator on a PC.  Perhaps, unless there was some hardware involved.

The Lynx developer system is running on the Amiga because the original
designers also had a hand on designing the Amiga and it was only obvious
that they would design the development system on one.  It's ironic that
Atari stole the Lynx from Commodore just like Commodore stole the Amiga
from Atari.  hahaha
Don't think, however, that the Amiga is the only system capable of
development for the Lynx.  Atari is apparently porting the system to
PC.  There's nothing impressive about the Amiga being used because it just
runs the programmers utilities [i.e. paint programs, cross-assemblers,
perhaps a 6502 simulator, sound editors, etc] and all the
actual testing is done on a REAL lynx unit that is somehow interfaced.
I'd LOVE to find out if Atari is going to put out a cheap developers
system [perhaps some kind of simple keypad and a cassette interface]
so it could be considered a true computer.  I know that the math coprocessor
is capable of doing 32-bit multiplication at 79% the speed of the
68000.

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (05/01/91)

In article <15439@life.ai.mit.edu>, psteffn@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Paul Steffen) writes:
> The Nintendo emulator exists but apparently was taken off ab20 because
> it never should have been released.  It also requires a 68010 or
> higher.
>
> Obviously, no Lynx emulator exists or will ever exist on the Amiga.
> The coprocessor graphics hardware on the Lynx is more powerful than
> the Amiga's blitter so it would be as likely as seeing an Amiga
> emulator on a PC.  Perhaps, unless there was some hardware involved.
>
> The Lynx developer system is running on the Amiga because the original
> designers also had a hand on designing the Amiga and it was only obvious
> that they would design the development system on one.  It's ironic that
> Atari stole the Lynx from Commodore just like Commodore stole the Amiga
> from Atari.  hahaha

	Actually, the Lynx was designed by Epyx (R.J. was working for them at
the time of its inception.)  CBM had nothing to do with the Lynx design, other
than the fact that CBM owns the rights to a machine that the Lynx designers had
a hand in producting.  In an interview in Info (I forget the issue) R.J.
explains that the Lynx was offered to Commodore FIRST when it became clear that
Epyx couldn't do it alone.  CBM didn't want it.

					Doug
					SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (05/02/91)

psteffn@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Paul Steffen) writes:

>Don't think, however, that the Amiga is the only system capable of
>development for the Lynx.  Atari is apparently porting the system to
>PC.  There's nothing impressive about the Amiga being used because it just
>runs the programmers utilities [i.e. paint programs, cross-assemblers,
>perhaps a 6502 simulator, sound editors, etc] and all the
>actual testing is done on a REAL lynx unit that is somehow interfaced.

Actually I read in a magazine somewhere that when the Lynx first came out Atari
wanted to port the development system over to the ST, but couldn't due to
'performance reasons'.  I can see why because the Lynx has a palette of 16
on-screen colors out of 4096, whereas the ST is limited to 16 out of 512.

>I'd LOVE to find out if Atari is going to put out a cheap developers
>system [perhaps some kind of simple keypad and a cassette interface]
>so it could be considered a true computer.  I know that the math coprocessor
>is capable of doing 32-bit multiplication at 79% the speed of the
>68000.

When I first got my Lynx, the dealer promised me that they would be
releasing some sort of 'productivity' software that would utilize the
64k RAM inside the Lynx (whether it has this much escapes me now) so we'll
see.
Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | if (TrailBlazers > Opponents)
"                 " - Marcel Marceau | 		TrailBlazerWins++;

385dbrooksr@vms.csd.mu.edu (05/02/91)

	I've had a chance to use the Lynx DevSys that you are speaking about
and here is the low-down on it.  It is usaully an A2000, with a device
called a howard board that uses the amiga's parallel port to control
the howard.  The Howard board allows breakpoints, rom simulation and
a number of other neat features, so it is basically a big board that
completely takes over the 4 Mhz 6502 and coprocessors.  Software
exists that was written for the Handy (The name of the Lynx when
epyx owned it.) that allows debugging, assembly, up/downloading,
IFF conversion, etc. for the Lynx.  Its a dream for programming.
	The reason the AMIGA was chosen was because RJ Mical, Dave Needle,
etc. were the people who designed the Handy hardware.  What would they
pick but a computer they helped create?  It is no longer being ported
to any other system, (it was going to go to an ST, but they gave up).
However, their new PANTHER game system uses a TT for developmental
purposes, but that DevSys seems rather broken -- and the developers
love the AMIGA.  People a little higher up in ATARI are quite
embarassed by the situation.                Ryan Brooks