[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Hard Drive drivers for A-Max II

JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/28/91)

Here we go again...  Within the last year there was a post and
a series of answers with the original poster asking what the various
hard drive drivers in the DEVS directory of A-Max II were for.

Like a doof, I did not save the posts and now I have exactly the
same question.  Actually, this is the FINAL bit of info I need for
the A-Max compendium of often-asked questions and answers I am writing.
Help me finish this and I will post the list! :-)

SO:  Here is the list of drivers in my 2.06 DEVS directory.
Could you folks help fill in the blanks below (and fix any
mistakes I might have made already?)

ALF.amhd
comspechd.amhd
DISscsi.amhd
gvpscsi.amhd     - GVP Series I and II
hddisk.amhd
icddisk.amhd
icddiskide.amhd
ivs_scsi.amhd
nexus.amhd
scsi.amhd        - Commodore A590/A2091/A3000
scsi.amhd        - Extam-688 Plus (different driver than above; same name)

Many thanks in advance!

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/28/91)

In article <91086.202758JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>,
JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> gvpscsi.amhd - GVP Series I and II

There's also a "gvpat.amhd" for GVP's AT/IDE interface.

Ralph

davidc@contact.uucp (Ice Weasle) (03/31/91)

In article <91086.202758JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>SO:  Here is the list of drivers in my 2.06 DEVS directory.
>Could you folks help fill in the blanks below (and fix any
>mistakes I might have made already?)
>
>ALF.amhd         - ALF controllers
>comspechd.amhd   - Comspec SA500/1000/2000 controllers
>DISscsi.amhd     - (I have NO idea. 8(
>gvpscsi.amhd     - GVP Series I and II (rom version ABOVE 3.0 only)
>harddisk.amhd    - ??? I don't remember...
>hddisk.amhd      - Commodore 2090 controllers
>icddisk.amhd     - ICD SCSI controllers
>icddiskide.amhd  - ICD IDE (AT-Style) controllers
>ivs_scsi.amhd    - Trumpcard Controllers
>nexus.amhd       - Advanced Storage System controllers
>scsi.amhd        - Commodore A590/A2091/A3000
>scsi.amhd        - Extam-688 Plus (different driver than above; same name)
>scsidev.amhd     - GVP Series I & II (rom versions below 3.0!)

I don't see either Supra or Xetec here... perhaps that is what the two
that I could not fill are... ??? 8)

Dave
--
Dave Carlton (davidc@ziebmef.mef.org!white.toronto.edu)
"There's more than one way to skin a cat", Lydia thought, as she

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar31.013619.920@contact.uucp>,
davidc@contact.uucp (Ice Weasle) writes:

>>gvpscsi.amhd     - GVP Series I and II (rom version ABOVE 3.0 only)

Using "Mount", you can use this A-Max II driver with pre-3.0
drivers (or even _without_ Amiga-OS driver), too.

>>scsidev.amhd     - GVP Series I & II (rom versions below 3.0!)

There's no such driver. Use "gvpscsi.amhd" instead.

Ralph

stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) (04/07/91)

In article <07163.AA07163@babylon.rmt.sub.org> rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) writes:

>Using "Mount", you can use this A-Max II driver with pre-3.0
>drivers (or even _without_ Amiga-OS driver), too.

I've tried using a Mountlist for A-Max partition on my GVP Series II
controller without success.  A-Max only recognizes the partition if it's
auto-mounted.  Could you give an example of how the mountlist should
be written (for a Quantum 40 for example) ?

--
 Stephane Laroche   | Email: stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG
 +1 514 277-8605    |	     Montreal, Que.,  Canada

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (04/26/91)

In article <stephane.3768@Chucla.CAM.ORG>, stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) writes:
> In article <07163.AA07163@babylon.rmt.sub.org> rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) writes:
> >
> >Using "Mount", you can use this A-Max II driver with pre-3.0
> >drivers (or even _without_ Amiga-OS driver), too.
> >

> I've tried using a Mountlist for A-Max partition on my GVP Series II
> controller without success.  A-Max only recognizes the partition if it's
> auto-mounted.  Could you give an example of how the mountlist should
> be written (for a Quantum 40 for example) ?
>
> >Ralph

You don't need a mountlist to make it work with a GVP II hardcard. Just use
the config utility that comes with the GVP board, and in manual mode, defines
the partitions. Then you must re-write the special sector of your hard drive
with setting three of the four buttons on top of the screen (I really can't
remember thir names) and push the button "write the sector". It should be OK.
This special sector replaces the mountlist.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (04/27/91)

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) writes:

> In article <stephane.3768@Chucla.CAM.ORG>, stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane
> >
> > I've tried using a Mountlist for A-Max partition on my GVP Series II
> > controller without success.  A-Max only recognizes the partition if it's
> > auto-mounted.  Could you give an example of how the mountlist should
> > be written (for a Quantum 40 for example) ?
> >
> > >Ralph
>
> You don't need a mountlist to make it work with a GVP II hardcard. Just use
> the config utility that comes with the GVP board, and in manual mode, defines
> the partitions. Then you must re-write the special sector of your hard drive
> with setting three of the four buttons on top of the screen (I really can't
> remember thir names) and push the button "write the sector". It should be OK.
> This special sector replaces the mountlist.

Huh?  With the GVP II hardcards, all you have to do is load up
FastPrep, pick Manual Installation, pick the drive ID of the drive
you want to put an AMAX partition on, rename it to AMAX and then pick
click on the Write button.  This will save the Rigid Disk Block with
the new partion named AMAX.

When you run AMAX II, it will automatically recognize the AMAX
partion.  Very simple.  Of course, AMAX will recognize it as not a
Mac formatted drive and ask you if you want to format it.  You pick
yes and it will make it Mac format.  You then have a single partion
in Mac format on your hard drive and it doesn't affect any of your
other partions.

-- Bob

PS: you need the device GVPSCSI.AMHD in your devs: directory.

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) writes:

> Huh?  With the GVP II hardcards, all you have to do is load up
> FastPrep, pick Manual Installation, pick the drive ID of the drive
> you want to put an AMAX partition on, rename it to AMAX and then pick
> click on the Write button.  This will save the Rigid Disk Block with
> the new partion named AMAX.

I mean rename a single PARTITION to AMAX.  If you want multiple AMAX
partitions, you can name them as amax1, amax2 and so forth.

> When you run AMAX II, it will automatically recognize the AMAX
> partion.  Very simple.  Of course, AMAX will recognize it as not a
> Mac formatted drive and ask you if you want to format it.  You pick
> yes and it will make it Mac format.  You then have a single partion
> in Mac format on your hard drive and it doesn't affect any of your
> other partions.

ARGH!  All instances of "partion" should be partition.  <grin>

-- Bob

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (05/02/91)

In article <stephane.3768@Chucla.CAM.ORG>,
stephane@Chucla.CAM.ORG (Stephane Laroche) writes:

> I've tried using a Mountlist for A-Max partition on my GVP
> Series II controller without success.  A-Max only
> recognizes the partition if it's auto-mounted.  Could you
> give an example of how the mountlist should be written
> (for a Quantum 40 for example) ?

AMAX: Device         = gvpscsi.device
      Unit           = 0
      Surfaces       = 3
      BlocksPerTrack = 37
      LowCyl         = 369
      HighCyl        = 738
#

... assuming the Quantum is configured as unit 0. Then:

Mount AMAX:
A-MaxStartup

"gvpscsi.amhd" must be located in "DEVS:". Now, the "upper"
half of the Quantum 40 will be used by A-Max II. Make sure
the Macintosh partition doesn't overlap with any other
partition (e.g. AmigaDOS') or the RDB on this drive.

Ralph