[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amiga Emulating All

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) (04/30/91)

I am going to be doing a lot (hopefully) of programming of commercial
software for scientists and professors.  Because some will have their
hearts set on MS-DOS or Mac machines, I was curious whether the following
set-up would not only be feasable, but worth the time and effort, or if
I should just get an MS-DOS machine and a Mac (very expensive proposition).

[I already own a 500, but would sell it and upgrade...]

Amiga 2x00 w/ x Megs of RAM
	   w/ Amax II
	   w/ '286 board (when does the '386 come out?)
	   w/ 120+ meg hard drive
	      or 40 megger(1), 40 megger(2), 40 megger(3)
	   w/ x drives

What configuration would be best to get?  Which Amiga would be best to
get? A 2000? A 2500? Will I be able to format the hard drive properly
so that I can have at least a 40 meg partions for Amiga/MS-DOS/Mac?

Has anyone done this?

I figure the partitions need to be large enough so as to fit the
core programs the clientele will be using, and anything I am working on
creating for them.

Please feel free to give input no matter how trivial.  I don't want to go
full steam ahead only to learn some trivial matter is going to gum up the
works.

Thanks,

M.R. Lieb
---
liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
--
Amiga Special: Buy a computer, and we'll throw in MS-DOS, Mac, Apple 2e,
	       C64/128, Atari ST, BBC title compatibility for the price of

berger@clio.sts.uiuc.edu (Mike Berger) (05/03/91)

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) writes:
>Please feel free to give input no matter how trivial.  I don't want to go
>full steam ahead only to learn some trivial matter is going to gum up the
>works.
*----
I'd recommend getting the actual target machines you plan to program
for.  What will you do when things work on your setup but not the
Client's?  Emulation is a very poor way to ensure that your program
will work on a target platform.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois