[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amax -> A1000 query

sharley@isis.cs.du.edu (steve harley) (04/29/91)

I own an A1000 and work with Macs professionally.  I would like to keep my
Amiga, but I can only do so if I can get it to work as a Mac without too
much hassle.  My questions are these:

Does Amax work on a 1000?  if not, skip the following...
With a hard disk?
Can I use a Mac hard disk (and thus take it to work with me)?
Will I have problems using my 1.5M Insider memory (which doesn't
auto-config due to slow PALs (they're grounded))?
Can I use my modem & midi adapter from Mac mode?
Will Amax, with a floppy drive, cost me significantly less than the
$500-700 I might spend on a used Plus?
Do INITs such as ATM and Tempo work with Amax?
Compatibility: PageMaker 4.0, Word 4.0, Freehand 2.02, FileMaker 4?
Mac screens have a 1:1 aspect ratio; does Amax have the capability to
force the Amiga into a square aspect ratio?  If not, have users felt
comfortable using Amax to do layout and graphics?
Can any A1000 accelerators be used in conjunction w/Amax?

Thank you for any answers to these questions, and/or relevant stories and
advice.  E-mail please, summary posted if requested.
-steve harley

jackf@pnet01.cts.com (Jack Fitchett) (04/30/91)

        Oh that's way too many ??? for me to remember them all as I type
but....  yes AMAX will work on a 1000.  Yes it will support the hardrive if
the interface is supported (IE it has a .amhd driver in amax for it)  Some
interfaces I know will work include GVP, SUPRA(if Amax 2.06).  Amax has ran
everthing I've thrown at it very well.  Only problem I have is that the AMAx
screen is interlace normally and that causes flicker.  I would not recommend
it for cad without a flicker fixer.  I see no reason why it should not work
with any accelerators.

         If I missed any ????'s I'll try and catch them next time around.

                Jack.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jackf
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jackf@nosc.mil
INET: jackf@pnet01.cts.com

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.050914.20106@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> sharley@isis.UUCP (steve harley) writes:
>I own an A1000 and work with Macs professionally.  I would like to keep my
>Amiga, but I can only do so if I can get it to work as a Mac without too
>much hassle.  My questions are these:
>
>Does Amax work on a 1000?  if not, skip the following...

Yes.

>With a hard disk?
A-Max II will let you use most of them.

>Can I use a Mac hard disk (and thus take it to work with me)?
I have heard that some people took Mac HD and got it to work with the Amiga
Amax!

>Will I have problems using my 1.5M Insider memory (which doesn't
>auto-config due to slow PALs (they're grounded))?
I don't have autoboot ram on my A1000 either.  It worked fine.

>Can I use my modem & midi adapter from Mac mode?
Modem works O.K.  I don't know about midi.  I don't think you can get midi!

>Will Amax, with a floppy drive, cost me significantly less than the
It will work with floppy driv, but you need to get a real Mac drive
to be able to read Mac disks.  On the Amiga drive, Amax uses its own file
system.

>$500-700 I might spend on a used Plus?
>Do INITs such as ATM and Tempo work with Amax?
ATM works fine.  Don't know about Tempo!

>Compatibility: PageMaker 4.0, Word 4.0, Freehand 2.02, FileMaker 4?
PageMaker 4.0, and Word 4.0 works fine.  Haven't test it with the others.

>Mac screens have a 1:1 aspect ratio; does Amax have the capability to
>force the Amiga into a square aspect ratio?  If not, have users felt
You can configure the screens to just like the Mac screen or use Amiga
screens with more pixels.

>comfortable using Amax to do layout and graphics?
>Can any A1000 accelerators be used in conjunction w/Amax?
Amax II works fine with A3000, so there should be any problems with the
accelerators.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.050914.20106@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> sharley@isis.UUCP (steve harley) writes:
>I own an A1000 and work with Macs professionally.  I would like to keep my
>Amiga, but I can only do so if I can get it to work as a Mac without too
>much hassle.  My questions are these:
>
>Does Amax work on a 1000?  if not, skip the following...

  Yes, but you need at least 1 meg I think, and the kickstart memory can
be counted towards the 1 meg.

>With a hard disk?

  AMAX II can use a hard disk. There may be a kickstart limitation, but I
am not sure (our a1000 only has 512k anyway).

>Can I use a Mac hard disk (and thus take it to work with me)?

  If you have an external SCSI port, you may be able to do it easily. I am
not sure if AMAX II reads mac-formatted hard drives, but I think it does.

>Will I have problems using my 1.5M Insider memory (which doesn't
>auto-config due to slow PALs (they're grounded))?

  It should work, but be sure to ask someone who knows for sure.

>Can I use my modem & midi adapter from Mac mode?

  You can use your modem. I have used 19200 baud many times, although
sometimes I will gte lots of line noise bove 9600.

  I think AMAX II supports midi.

>Will Amax, with a floppy drive, cost me significantly less than the
>$500-700 I might spend on a used Plus?

  AMAX II = $150
  floppy = $150
  128k ROMs = $10-$120

  If you want to get cheap ROMs, go to any Mac dealers and ask them. If
they say no, be persistant, or try another dealer. Many people are able to
get cheap ROMs easily even though Apple opposes it.

>Do INITs such as ATM and Tempo work with Amax?

  I have Tempo, but never used it before (don't know what it does).

>Compatibility: PageMaker 4.0, Word 4.0, Freehand 2.02, FileMaker 4?

  It will run Pagemaker and Word. Haven't tried the others. Basically, it
will run almost anything except games.

>Mac screens have a 1:1 aspect ratio; does Amax have the capability to
>force the Amiga into a square aspect ratio?  If not, have users felt
>comfortable using Amax to do layout and graphics?

  It does have the 1:1 feature, but you can use Overscan and get about
twice as much space anyway! Use over scan. :)

>Can any A1000 accelerators be used in conjunction w/Amax?

  They should work, but there is a condition...something about whether it has
an MMU on board.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.160009.20522@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
> In article <1991Apr29.050914.20106@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> sharley@isis.UUCP (steve harley) writes:
> >Does Amax work on a 1000?  if not, skip the following...
>
>   Yes, but you need at least 1 meg I think, and the kickstart memory can
> be counted towards the 1 meg.

I got my A-MaxII to work on a 512K 1000 (not including the 256K of
kickstart memory that A-MaxII does use).

>   If you have an external SCSI port, you may be able to do it easily. I am
> not sure if AMAX II reads mac-formatted hard drives, but I think it does.

Sure does.

> >Will I have problems using my 1.5M Insider memory (which doesn't
> >auto-config due to slow PALs (they're grounded))?
>
>   It should work, but be sure to ask someone who knows for sure.

Works fine with my 1.0M Insider.

> >Can I use my modem & midi adapter from Mac mode?
>
>   You can use your modem. I have used 19200 baud many times, although
> sometimes I will gte lots of line noise bove 9600.

I rarely get noise at all.  However, the exact version of A-MaxII you
are using makes a big difference.  2.0 had a bug in the serial code.
2.04 fixed this and 2.06 fixes many other bugs.  Use 2.06!!

>   AMAX II = $150
>   floppy = $150
>   128k ROMs = $10-$120

Get the Fujitsu 800K floppy for only $99.  I got mine mail order from
MacDirect.  1-800-621-8461.

> >Compatibility: PageMaker 4.0, Word 4.0, Freehand 2.02, FileMaker 4?
>
>   It will run Pagemaker and Word. Haven't tried the others. Basically, it
> will run almost anything except games.

Works with Freehand and FileMaker too.  (I tried them both
successfully along with tons others such as Correct Grammer, Adobe
Illustrator 88, etc).  Check out the compatibility list I posted here
a couple of weeks ago.  Has anyone taken it upon themselves to keep it
going? (I retired :-)

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If I spent as much time on my classes as I do reading
\X/  Andrews |  news, I'd graduate."  - Brett McCoy