[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] 486SX

abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) (05/03/91)

  I have heard that Intel might release 486SX.  If C= is still going to
release a 386 Bridgecard, I think they should forget the idea and start
developing a 486SX BB NOW!

Don't you agree?

(after all, if they start now, they might be able to release it before
586SX machines floods in the market... 8^>  )

-- Kelvin Leung
Kelvin  /  Internet: abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
  Leung/     or    : kelvin.leung@dartmouth.edu

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (05/03/91)

In article <3645@borg.cs.unc.edu> cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu
(Timothy Cullip) writes:

>To me, it sounds like the marketing people at Intel have gone off the
>deep end. Or maybe they are just laughing all the way to the bank.

     Actually, it's kind of shrewd from a marketroid's viewpoint.  Now
that AMD, by producing a legal 386 work-alike, has broken Intel's
monopoly (why do you think 386s were so expensive?) Intel desperately
needs a way to bump them out of the market.  By selling the 486SX,
they can satisfy the status-seekers who want that magic 486 number
(whether they actually need it or not), while still soaking them for
the bucks later then they want to upgrade to a real 486.

    Then AMD can start all over again with the 486.  Ah, competition -
ain't it grand?

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside-down.

cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.212247.12525@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:

>  I have heard that Intel might release 486SX.  If C= is still going to
>release a 386 Bridgecard, I think they should forget the idea and start
>developing a 486SX BB NOW!
>
>Don't you agree?
>
>(after all, if they start now, they might be able to release it before
>586SX machines floods in the market... 8^>  )
>
>-- Kelvin Leung
>Kelvin  /  Internet: abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
>  Leung/     or    : kelvin.leung@dartmouth.edu

I don't want to start an "I hate Intel thread" here, but I just can't
resist giving my impressions of the 486SX.  Intel sells the standard
486DX chip for about $500.  The SX is in fact a DX, but with the floating
point unit turned off (i.e. it's on the chip, but disabled so it's just
as expensive to produce) but sells it for about $250. Kind of gives you
an idea of the profit margin on the DX.

Also, Intel produces a 487SX so that if later on you decide you need
floating point you can have it.  But the 487SX retails for about $800,
so the combination 486SX and 487SX is twice as expensive as the 486DX.
But do you know what's in the 487SX: an entire 486DX.  When installed
it disables (can you believe this) the 486SX and acts just like a
486DX.  So without the 487SX you have a crippled 486, with the 487SX
you have two 486's but one is completely disabled.

To me, it sounds like the marketing people at Intel have gone off the
deep end. Or maybe they are just laughing all the way to the bank.

Tim Cullip
cullip@cs.unc.edu

--

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/04/91)

abs0@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:

>  I have heard that Intel might release 486SX.  If C= is still going to
>release a 386 Bridgecard, I think they should forget the idea and start
>developing a 486SX BB NOW!
>
>Don't you agree?
>
>(after all, if they start now, they might be able to release it before
>586SX machines floods in the market... 8^>  )
>
>-- Kelvin Leung

Well, it's not an SX in the traditional 386sx sense.  it's still a full 32 bit
chip, it's missing the math co-processor.  i certainly wouldn't pay for a
system with one.

| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |