[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] AMAX No-Click

jeffg@comspec.uucp (Jeff Goebel) (05/09/91)

I have been playing with the AMAX product recently.  I work in a retail store
and have the luxury of experimenting with things during the slow times.

One thing that has started to anoy me is that the AMAX (well - the MAC I
guess) does not allow you to leave IDLE disks in the drive.  It seems to want
to FORCE you to format or eject them.  Ths means I get the irritating CLICK
CLICK of the Amiga drives making me crazy.  Is there a solution?

P.S.  DOes the MAC hang as easily as AMAX does?

--
Jeff Goebel.
Comspec Staff.  I am obligated to point out that my messages are the views

andrewsr@steely.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.140705.27976@comspec.uucp> jeffg@comspec.uucp (Jeff Goebel) writes:

> One thing that has started to anoy me is that the AMAX (well - the MAC I
> guess) does not allow you to leave IDLE disks in the drive.  It seems to want
> to FORCE you to format or eject them.  Ths means I get the irritating CLICK
> CLICK of the Amiga drives making me crazy.  Is there a solution?

How about putting a formatted A-MaxII disk in the drive?  If it annoys
you that much, format a disk in A-MaxII and call it "Stop that
insidious click" and keep it around for just that purpose.

> P.S.  DOes the MAC hang as easily as AMAX does?

A-Max is essentially a Mac.  I have seen just as much trouble with
Macs as I have with A-MaxII.  However, there are a few Mac programs
which do not work on A-MaxII.

The only *really* annoying thing that happens with A-MaxII is that
df0: can sometimes start making a tremendously loud gonking noise and
I have to immediately turn off my machine!  I swear, it sounds like a
grabage disposal.  This has only happened to me three times since I
bought A-MaxII last October.  It seems to happen when I am formatting
a disk with FastFormatter or something.

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If I spent as much time on my classes as I do reading
\X/  Andrews |  news, I'd graduate."  - Brett McCoy