[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] MULE

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (05/01/91)

unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	Could someone please give a description of M.U.L.E.? I keep hearing
>about this game but don't know what it is.

MULE looks like a space-age version of Monopoly, where four colonists
(players) land on a planet and start a new life.  The players can
choose to represent a particular race, each with its own handicaps or
advantages.  Every game takes six to twelve turns, and in each turn,
players stake out new land, survey land, start new industries,
retrofit their MULEs (Multi-Utility Labour Element, I think) or
participate in auctions.  To even things up when things are going
badly for a player, gifts appear from Earth or relatives.

I loved MULE mainly because of its auction system, where players
either play aggressively or cooperatively.  None of the strategy games
since then have the same feeling as that game.

Regards,
---------------

---------------
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (05/01/91)

In article <3451@trlluna.trl.oz>, soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
> >	Could someone please give a description of M.U.L.E.?
>
> Every game takes six to twelve turns, and in each turn,
> players stake out new land, survey land, start new industries,
> retrofit their MULEs (Multi-Utility Labour Element, I think)

Actually, it was Multiple Use Labor Element, and was, IMHO, one of the
best multi-player games ever programmed on a personal computer.
--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

tinman@agora.rain.com (David Tinnyo) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.152508.5809@visix.com> brett@visix.com writes:
>In article <3451@trlluna.trl.oz>, soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>> >	Could someone please give a description of M.U.L.E.?
>>
>> Every game takes six to twelve turns, and in each turn,
>> players stake out new land, survey land, start new industries,
>> retrofit their MULEs (Multi-Utility Labour Element, I think)
>
>Actually, it was Multiple Use Labor Element, and was, IMHO, one of the
>best multi-player games ever programmed on a personal computer.

While we're on this track...
Anyone remember RobotWar?  It was by Muse also.  You programmed robots,
in a sort of assembly language and then put them on a battlefield to
duke it out.  This is MY favorite multi-player game of all-time.  I heard
a while ago, someone was porting it to the Mac.  Are there any similar
games like this for the Amiga?

--
---
David E. Tin Nyo                       "The key to the future is information,

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May2.214612.10086@agora.rain.com> tinman@agora.rain.com (David Tinnyo) writes:
>While we're on this track...
>Anyone remember RobotWar?  It was by Muse also.  You programmed robots,
>in a sort of assembly language and then put them on a battlefield to
>duke it out.  This is MY favorite multi-player game of all-time.  I heard
>a while ago, someone was porting it to the Mac.  Are there any similar
>games like this for the Amiga?

Oooh... you struck a vein with me there!  I'm not sure if I want an Amiga port
of RobotWar.  I don't have enough time as it is.  The three great time killers
for me were Wolfenstein, RobotWar, and the Eamon adventure disks.  As for pure
game ports, I would have to vote for the arcade game Joust.  I already have an
okay Frogger.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

walterb@cray.com (Walter Boese) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.135916.28888@truevision.com>, jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
> In article <1991May2.214612.10086@agora.rain.com> tinman@agora.rain.com (David Tinnyo) writes:
> >While we're on this track...
> >Anyone remember RobotWar?  It was by Muse also.  You programmed robots,
> >in a sort of assembly language and then put them on a battlefield to
> >duke it out.  This is MY favorite multi-player game of all-time.  I heard
> >a while ago, someone was porting it to the Mac.  Are there any similar
> >games like this for the Amiga?
>
> Oooh... you struck a vein with me there!  I'm not sure if I want an Amiga port
> of RobotWar.  I don't have enough time as it is.  The three great time killers
> for me were Wolfenstein, RobotWar, and the Eamon adventure disks.  As for pure
> game ports, I would have to vote for the arcade game Joust.  I already have an
> okay Frogger.
>
> --
> Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
> I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
> so much, I invited my friends. |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

I believe there is a public domain or shareware game called C-robots.
It is very similar to robot war.  I believe it is on a fish disk.
Sorry, don't know which one.
walterb@sequoia.cray.com

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.135916.28888@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>In article <1991May2.214612.10086@agora.rain.com> tinman@agora.rain.com (David Tinnyo) writes:
>>Anyone remember RobotWar?  It was by Muse also.  You programmed robots,
>>in a sort of assembly language and then put them on a battlefield to
>>duke it out.  This is MY favorite multi-player game of all-time.  I heard
>>a while ago, someone was porting it to the Mac.  Are there any similar
>>games like this for the Amiga?
>Oooh... you struck a vein with me there!  I'm not sure if I want an Amiga port
>of RobotWar.  I don't have enough time as it is.  The three great time killers

	If you liked RobotWar by Muse, you should get a copy of my Amiga port
of "C-Robots". It is virtually the same as RobotWar, except that instead of
a BASIC-type language, it uses a subset of the C language. It allows up to 4
robots to compete at a time, and has a debug mode similar to the one in
RobotWar, although I have not yet added a "slow speed" debug mode like
RobotWar had.
	It uses any editor you want, and can create "compiled" robots that
you can give to other players without them being able to see the program
used to operate the robot.

	The latest version I released is 2.3w, and should be availble on
the Fish disks (357, I believe), or directly from me at the following
address:

			David Wright
			4262 Bennington
			Brunswick, OH 44212
			USA

Just send me a disk with a note saying what it's for.

				Dave

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (05/15/91)

> In article <1991May2.214612.10086@agora.rain.com> tinman@agora.rain.com (David
>  Tinnyo) writes:
> >While we're on this track...
> >Anyone remember RobotWar?  It was by Muse also.  You programmed robots,
> >in a sort of assembly language and then put them on a battlefield to
> >duke it out.  This is MY favorite multi-player game of all-time.  I heard
> >a while ago, someone was porting it to the Mac.  Are there any similar
> >games like this for the Amiga?
>
> Oooh... you struck a vein with me there!  I'm not sure if I want an Amiga port
> of RobotWar.  I don't have enough time as it is.  The three great time killers
> for me were Wolfenstein, RobotWar, and the Eamon adventure disks.  As for pure
> game ports, I would have to vote for the arcade game Joust.  I already have an
> okay Frogger.

While I'm aware of CRobots, the Origin game OMEGA (Not the PD adventure game
at all) is the closest thing to a commercial ROBOTWAR out there. You program
cybertanks using a BASIC-like code, and the interface is a snap to learn. It
also has the heaviest damn manual of any game. While the Amiga port is lousy
(done by Micro Magic, who should move on to other things like floor sweeping
or Mac ports), the game is certainly well enough done. If you like to write
code, you'll eat it up on a stick. If you hate to write code, avoid it like
the plague.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                I want a game that looks like SHADOW OF THE BEAST
                        and plays like LEISURE SUIT LARRY...

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (05/15/91)

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:

>game ports, I would have to vote for the arcade game Joust.  I already have an
>okay Frogger.
YES! Somebody outta write a Joust , either public domain or
commercial. If not, I will some day!
I only remember one Joust for the 64, called <something> lord(s). Very
simple, but quite enough.

>Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
>I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
>so much, I invited my friends. |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."
--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.135916.28888@truevision.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>I already have an okay Frogger.

Really ? Frogger exists for the AMIGA ?
Could you tell me how to get it ?

Thanks a lot,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

slewis@sugar.hackercorp.com (Steve Lewis) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.134837.3058@daimi.aau.dk>, pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) writes:
> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:
>
> >game ports, I would have to vote for the arcade game Joust.  I already have an
> >okay Frogger.
> YES! Somebody outta write a Joust , either public domain or
> commercial. If not, I will some day!
> I only remember one Joust for the 64, called <something> lord(s). Very
> simple, but quite enough.
>
> >Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
.
I have heard there is a very good Joust clone on the Mac, named "Glypha"
and that the source is available.  Maybe someone can use that to get
started.  Meanwhile back to the discussion of emulation ...