[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Bridgeboard compatibility

	I know someone who needs a computer, needs MS-DOS, but
wants an Amiga. The best alternative we can come up with is get
an XT BB and use one of those programs that work via a modem,
call up your PC at work, and control it remotely.
	I'm looking for people with experience with that type of
program and/or people who have used it on the BB. How good is
serial support with the BB? How do those programs handle
Text/CGA/VGA modes?
	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May12.232119.102@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>        I know someone who needs a computer, needs MS-DOS, but
>wants an Amiga. The best alternative we can come up with is get
>an XT BB and use one of those programs that work via a modem,
>call up your PC at work, and control it remotely.
>        I'm looking for people with experience with that type of
>program and/or people who have used it on the BB. How good is
>serial support with the BB? How do those programs handle
>Text/CGA/VGA modes?

     I have an A2286 bridge board in my 2500/20 and I can do exactly
what you describe.  The bridge board can't access the Amiga's serial
port so you need to get a board to plug into a bridge board slot.
I have a multi-I/O board which gives me two serial ports (COM1: and
COM2:), a parallel port (LPT2: because I can use the Amiga's parallel
port as LPT1:), and a game port (who cares?).

     As far as communications goes, the bridge board side of my
machine _is_ an AT clone.  I can call up BBSes with Procomm, or
fire up PC-Anywhere and dial into a remote machine with no problems
whatsoever.  Screen updating is a bit slow, but that's due to the
modem speed and would be the same for any machine (although the
usual slight jerkiness of the bridge board video interface still
applies, of course).  I usually run in CGA mode; occasionally I use
monochrome, which does run a bit faster.  To go to VGA you'd need to
get a separate adapter card and plug it into a bridge board slot.
I haven't tried this myself but I've heard that it works.  If I
wanted to try it I'd be in good shape with my flickerFixer, since
my multisync monitor accepts VGA scan rates so it should be possible
to rig a switch to move the monitor between the flickerFixer and a
VGA card.

     I do MS-DOS software development on my bridge board.  It's
nasty, but it makes me money to buy Amigas.  And I don't have to
clutter my desk with a box that can't play games while I'm waiting
for a compile.  :-)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca
MS-DOS: I hate it, but I use it - twice a day.

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May12.232119.102@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

|>	I know someone who needs a computer, needs MS-DOS, but
|>wants an Amiga. The best alternative we can come up with is get
|>an XT BB and use one of those programs that work via a modem,
|>call up your PC at work, and control it remotely.

I suppose you want to use a terminal program on the XT BB?  That's not
possible unless you have a serial card for the BB.  The XT BB can't
access the serial port on the Amiga (unfortunately) but you CAN use an
Amiga term program and use the Janus transfer software to copy files
to/from the BB.

|Kriston J. Rehberg,  Student Operator, S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services |
|PODOP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VAX/VMS 5.4) |Opinions expressed here are|
|TJW3124@BINGTJW.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/IS CMS)    |my own and do not represent|
|BG7523@BINGVMA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/SP CMS)     |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+